• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When I inquired about it, I was told they always did it (did I mention I'd bought several handguns from them in the last five years?). Sure enough there is a space on the 4473 for a LTCH number.
    That space is for OTHER states that have permits that qualify as a "loophole" to avoid the check.

Yes, it is line 23. Even though the box does not get checked since the IN LTCH does not qualify as a Brady exemption, we still note the number and expiration date if the buyer has one. If he doesn't, or doesn't want to show it, that's fine; we just seal the container.
    Why record it? Do you inform the customer that this is a store policy, not a federal or state mandate?

[rant]I get really upset when businesses try to hide behind the a law smoke screen. Mostly, it's anti-2A types: "You can't have a gun in your car at work!" or "You can't carry that in here - it's illegal!".[/rant]

If we are selling a long gun we [STRIKE]generally don't[/STRIKE] should never ask if you have a LTCH. If you are purchasing a handgun then we generally ask so we know how to send the firearm out the door. It has no bearing on the purchasing at all.
    FIFY

We used to put them in a bag and staple it shut which was enough to satisfy most LEO. We have begun using a Zip-tie to make it a little more secure.
    Do you inform the buyer that this is to protect them from harassment by LE and not because of any legal (criminal) liability to you?

The responsibility of the shop ends at the NICS check. At that point if you want to duck tape the pistol to your forehead and pogo-stick home with or without a license, it's none of their business and not their responsibility.
    :yesway:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The first rule of information privacy is to not collect information unnecessarily.

This seems to fit into that category.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    So "sealing the bag" is for the purchasers "protection" to prevent harassment by a LEO...?

...and NOT for the sellers protection or peace of mind?

Hmm. That is REALLY interesting...

I've purchased roughly half a dozen firearms from Bradis and I, too,
    was asked this question for the first time ever about a month ago.
    I abided kindly, but I was more than just curious why I was asked that.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    It is my understanding that if one does not have an LTCH, the law requires you to transport the handgun in a secure container. Thus, we secure it for you before you leave. What you do with it after you leave the shop is on you.

This makes sense to me. I don't understand why it seems to be a big deal for some people. Do what you want after you leave, then it is on your head.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It is my understanding that if one does not have an LTCH, the law requires you to transport the handgun in a secure container. Thus, we secure it for you before you leave. What you do with it after you leave the shop is on you.

This makes sense to me. I don't understand why it seems to be a big deal for some people. Do what you want after you leave, then it is on your head.

The law requires you to carry it in the proper manner. The law does not require the seller to package it in any specific way.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

It wasn't a big deal to me. What I was curious about (and still am) was being told that they'd always done it (did I mention 4-5 handguns from Bradis in the past and never been asked?). I was ONLY curious as to:

A) if this was policy (answered to my satisfaction), and

B) how long "always" was.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    The law requires you to carry it in the proper manner. The law does not require the seller to package it in any specific way.

OK. But with all the anti-gun crap going on, if I were a gun shop owner, I would be very conservative to help ensure that I stay in business. One stupid freak happening connected to my shop (if I had one) pounced on by the liberal anti-gun media could snowball and result in serious problems. Remember that laws, logic and common sense have nothing to do with how the ultra left-wing liberal media can frame a situation and condemn law-abiding businesses and citizens. Better safe than crucified. Adding a few minutes to a gun purchase and a stapled bad if the purchaser does not have a LTCH -- so what?

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Bradis has a big sign that says no loaded firearms, no exceptions. Apparently some people have carried w/o anyone saying anything and others have been told to take it back to their car.

I'm aware of the signs, but like all other nancy pants no loaded gun/no gun signs in this great state I ignore them. Have never been asked to leave Bradis and I'm pretty sloppy about keeping my boomstick covered up...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, everyone had a big fit (and I would agree) about Missouri providing a list of "CCW permit holders" to the Feds recently, simply because the feds asked. See article here [1].

But no one has a problem with Bradis unnecessarily recording this info on a Federal Form?

I do. It's none of the Federal government's business at this point.

[1] - Missouri Highway Patrol gave federal government list of CCW permit holders : News

See also: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...hares_full_ccw_list_with_fed_authorities.html

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    You know I just read the entire first page, and skimmed the second, and I would like to point out that Indiana could avoid a lot of issues, excess IC's, fewer trees killed, and a whole lot less bandwidth wasted, if they just instituted Constitutional carry! :D :patriot:

Top Bottom