• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I may stand corrected. No dimples have the lockup issue, and different twist rate. They shoot more accurate with 147 grain ammo iirc. They are also hit and miss in terms of lockup. Many state they have no issues, while others have had barrels returned to S&W for testing and replacement.

In my limited google-fu it appears either one or two dimpled barrels should be identical, and that the number of dimples simply identifies which machine tooled it.
    Not all of these issues are on the 9mm only. Not sure, but believe these problems don't exist on the .45 or .40

I have a 9mm FS with a 'no dimple' barrel. About 1 in 5 rounds winds up with a flier (for me)

This was the first time I had ever shot the 9C or the 5" pro, alongside my 9FS which I had owned/shot/trained with for about 9 months leading up to the purchase of the compact and pro. It's really not about typical shooting problems... I've shot these enough to know something isn't quite right with that FS, but still plenty good for SD.

115gr ammo 3" group on the fullsize. 2.25" group on the compact. 1.75" group on the 5" pro. Also shot a buddies xdm, but really disliked the grip.
    MP_Targets.jpg

eta: I went back and corrected that post to reflect this newfound info

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    %^{#.....Everyone sell your M&P's. They're hand grenades.

(goes to the classifieds to wait for some sweet deals)

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I don't think that much schrapnel from a barrel would be spread that far. It covers 3 targets fairly equally. I would have to agree that it seems suspicious that he took the time to photo the targets and write up the story without showing the gun or barrel at all.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I don't see how metal flaking off a barrel behind an exiting round would have the velocity to penetrate even paper at any significant distance. Plus, the loss of that amount of metal flakes needed to do that kind of damage would seem to be catastrophic to the barrel itself.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Every gun maker has problems sometimes. The GP100 is widely known as being a battle tank transformed into a revolver. I got one brand new that locked up as the cylinder turned. Obviously some makers have a higher failure rate than others, 1% vs .00001% is a big deal over a bajillion guns.

If I wanted an M&P (which I don't) I wouldn't let one complaint on the Internet keep me from one.

A buddy of mine was our county CO from age 23 until he retired a couple of years ago...His first issue gun (a GP 100) locked up so bad they had to send the weapon LOADED back to Ruger as the cylinder would not even come out....When he got the gun back a very small seed had gotten into the mechanism and locked it up...He said he has no idea how long he was carrying it with it being unable to function...He had no idea how many arrests he had made with it being unable to function...Ruger sent the tiny seed back with the gun and he still has that little seed to this day as a reminder to how small the difference between coming home or not coming home can be...

This was back in the 80's and at that time CO's maybe had to qualify once a year IIRC and he had no idea how long his Ruger had been a boat anchor instead of a defensive tool....

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have very limited experience with pistols and I'm still not sure I'm absolutely clear on what they claim had happened. Are the marks on the target from pieces of bullet, pieces of barrel, or both?

If you look at the pics, the objects hitting the target are fairly consistent in size and shape. It seems if they were pieces of barrel, the size and shape would be more variable.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'm sure this same story is hitting every major Gun message board on the net. It will be internet fact in the matter of days. Internet regurgitators will be all over whenever the MP is suggested. I do question the lack of pics of the barrel. Even the DNR could get a pic of the blown up gun from the hunter that used the wrong powder.

I have only 500 or so through my 9c...but I'm not going to worry too much.

Top Bottom