• ...and so much more!
  • GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    All this talk of choosing between the Shield and Glock 26. I think I will go against the crowd and give the PPS a try. But I am a bit eccentric and like my guns like my women, German and a little curvy.

Walther > Glock > M&P > Springfield XD

M&P Shield > Springfield XDs > XD Mod 2 > Block 26 ... I have owned these four and have yet to try the Walther. I throw in the Mod 2 because it more closely matches the G26.

Reason the Mod 2 is third on my list is because of the width / conceal-ability. All four are solid firearms, so really you can't go wrong with any of them. Just my preferences.

Not much on the 40S&W, so either 9mm or 45ACP are typically in my safe.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The Shield is a chevy like you see in pictures driving around Havana and the Glock is a Cadillac.

in ANY world, if a Glock is a Cadillac, my value system is f**ked. (purple may not even be necessary)

A glock is a well-loved and functional hammer. An m&p is a slightly less appealing functional hammer.
    In response to OP --> the Shield really is easier to carry. If you're ok with 8-9 rounds, go for the Shield and invest the difference in a good holster, extra mags, and ammo. The G19 is great if you can compromise a bit on concealability (but it gives you more rounds, of course)

gfry12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think if you are comparing between the 2 it would be G26 vs M&P9c or G43 vs M&P sheild. Like others have said handle all the options (shot them if possible) choose the best fit.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think if you are comparing between the 2 it would be G26 vs M&P9c or G43 vs M&P sheild. Like others have said handle all the options (shot them if possible) choose the best fit.

Size wise the G26 is smaller then an M&Pc is smaller then a G19 is smaller then an M&P is smaller then a G17. Even the shield is not a true single stack in that the grip is ever so slightly wider and bullets staggered a bit. The result is an extra cartridge. It is more like a single and a quarter stack, or stack and a half. The PPS or Glock 43 feel a bit thinner to me then the Shield.

Shield and G26 are well proven designs. G43 is still earning its stripes. But it is a small 9mm that is for sure.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I've shot the 9mm shield...shoots great! I own Glocks because they're more accurate and fit my hand better! Comfort is most important in an individual's EDC choice!

I've had friends who've sold their Glocks and bought shields...and turned around and sold their shield's and re-purchased Glocks...and have been glad they came back to the dark side!
    Oh, I still carry and shoot my G22.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Just my thoughts on the matter and not intended to be taken as fact. IMHO, you're not REALLY comparing apples and apples here as the G26 is a High Cap DBL stack mag design and the Shield is a again in my opinion neither a true single stack or double stack but actually a type in between hybrid if you will. That way S&W was able to up the capacity W/O a dramatic increase in frame width along the lines of say...... a G26. That is way a Shield's frame is around .875" wide and the G26 is listed at 1.18" wide. Granted the G20 has more rounds but like all things in life there are no free lunches, the G20 is larger. Does that increase in size matter? that's strictly up to the person buying.

A better comparison again IMHO would be the G20 to the S&W M&P compact.

I wanted as small and light a HG with decent capacity that I knew I could carry every day that had maximum concealability. The Shield met all my requiements, but so did other HG's like the Kal-Tec PF9 and Glock, but the Shield's trigger at least IN MY OPINION felt the best TO ME and I bought it.

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    Go shoot both guns before you decide. Since it will be your EDC, get the gun you shoot better and is more comfortable for you. The Glock43 is the single stack 9mm, you might want to look into that as well.

This. Everyone has their preference. They are both great guns, and I think it was mentioned a couple of times, but Glock has a single-stack subcompact as well (G43). Just find a range where you can rent and shoot both of them, or borrow from a friend.

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    My EDC is a Glock 19 Gen 4. I'm considering picking up a M&P Shield as a BUG (really just because I feel the need to own one after all the great things I've been hearing, but this justifies it to the wife).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My EDC is a Glock 19 Gen 4. I'm considering picking up a M&P Shield as a BUG (really just because I feel the need to own one after all the great things I've been hearing, but this justifies it to the wife).

If you already EDC a G19 then then G43 might be a good choice. The G43 is a wee bit smaller, similar grip, trigger and sights as your G19. That is really the only place I see the G43 fitting. BUG for the Glock guys. Otherwise my opinion is the Shield or G26 have more to offer as an EDC. They both are a little bigger, easier to shoot and have a little more capacity.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Go shoot both guns before you decide. Since it will be your EDC, get the gun you shoot better and is more comfortable for you. The Glock43 is the single stack 9mm, you might want to look into that as well.

^^^What he said is good advice. Shoot before you buy!! I prefer my Glock 26 and my G43. I find myself carrying the G43 just because its easier to conceal.

paul24

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the good idea. I never thought about justifying to the misses for a BUG. I will keep that in mind next time something catches the eye.

Jroe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Greenfield
    The g26 isn't much different in size from the shield considering the capacity. If you already carry a g19 why carry a single stack of a different style when you could have a secondary weapon (same mags/manual of arms) in the g26 instead of just a bug?

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I don't have much to compare on because I haven't shot the 26, but I love my shield. It's very easy to conceal and shoots really nice for the size. My friends that have shot it all want one now. Not to mention the price is nice.

Lil Bob

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Crown Point, Indiian
    A bit outside the specifics of the posting, but I would take a look at the Walther offerings also. The PPS and CCP are decent offerings, especially the PPS M2 version out now.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom