• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    is this why my AR was breaking down on me every other range trip, yet the AK was flawless over a couple thousand rounds? i see a correlation between the integrity of our constitutions effectiveness and said AR.

im not sayin it.. but im just sayin.

+1 nolaman.

Thanks for the rep. :)

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    AR-15's have always been popular, but what caused the huge surge in popularity in the last 5 years or so? Especially in the M4 varieties?
    picture.php

I like the old school styles :D

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Gotta question though: Is the Army going to go exclusively with M4s? What is the fate of the M16 for general issue? I heard (yes, we all know how that goes) that the Army is going only (or phasing in all) M4, but the Marine Corp put up a stink, only giving M4s to drivers, NCOs, etc...

HELP INGO! :D
    Gun makers lobby for M4 successor-rifle deal - Marine Corps News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Marine Corps Times

This one addresses a few things specifically:
    http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/06/marine-corps-eyes-next-rifles-m16a4-m4-062711/

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    A lot of it is psychological in my opinion. American's are raised seeing the AK as the "bad guy" gun that all the other poor country's use. And the M16, M4, AR-15 are portrayed as the great American eagle swooping in to save the day from tyranny and oppression. Indoctrination.

I have noticed lately that more and more logical gun owners are recognizing the opposite though.

No, it's because American shooters want to be cheapskates. The AK is a rifle designed to be reasonably accurate to 200 and sacrifices accuracy for reliablity. And for the most part it does this well, and they retail between $400-500 in non panic times.

The problem with ARs come from that same cheapskate mentality takes over and untrained gun newbs go and buy the cheapest AR they can find and sooner or later they have troubles from the rifle that was designed as a precision intrument, stop working because the reason it is cheap is because cheap materials were used and corners were cut in it manufacture. Thus it fails.

When made properly, of proper materials as it was tested to be made of, the AR will far excede the AK in every way.

I am not afraid to say I am very glad my enemies in Iraq primarily had AKs.

NolaMan61

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Danville, IN
    No, it's because American shooters want to be cheapskates. The AK is a rifle designed to be reasonably accurate to 200 and sacrifices accuracy for reliablity. And for the most part it does this well, and they retail between $400-500 in non panic times.

The problem with ARs come from that same cheapskate mentality takes over and untrained gun newbs go and buy the cheapest AR they can find and sooner or later they have troubles from the rifle that was designed as a precision intrument, stop working because the reason it is cheap is because cheap materials were used and corners were cut in it manufacture. Thus it fails.

When made properly, of proper materials as it was tested to be made of, the AR will far excede the AK in every way.

I am not afraid to say I am very glad my enemies in Iraq primarily had AKs.

This theory is entirely flawed, but I appreciate your input nonetheless.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Both the AK and AR are popular rifles, although actually the AKs have been selling so many that the prices are going up. AKs are more accurate then most people believe them, and the newer ARs are more durable then some people believe them to be.
    I believe its already been stated, but I think the reason for the popularity over the last couple years has to do with the sunset of certain bills, the war on terror putting it on the news all the time, because a lot of police departments and the military use them. Since they mostly use them, its cheaper to get parts/accessories, etc. Then you have veterans coming out, that are used to theirs, so they get personal ones, cause its the one that know and love. the low recoil is another reason, and since most people are just using for the weekend plinking, then its not going to make you sore, cost a lot to feed it and it works well enough for the weekend.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Same as the AK Craze............Fear, and the 2nd ammendment right to KEEP and BEAR Arms.

In the early 80's i bought a XM-177 commando style AR. In the late 80's I got a Colt Sporter II. I put the Commando in the safe long ago, my brother "borrowed" the Sporter twenty years ago, I recently took the Commando out to Wilbur Write, fired off about ten mags, all grouped as well as the last time I fired it, comforting since I was used to both rifle platforms from my Army Daze. I lovingly cleaned my safe queen, and back into darkness it went. I am happy to see I can still shoot it without cheek rests, optics, lights, lazers, super sling, and or the latest greatest gizmo(s).

Think about it, when I was a kid, WWII era stuff was all the rage, today the current Military crop is in, in another fifty years, Star Wars stuff will replace it all. Chumlee's grandson on Pawn Stars 3 will be asking an expert to rate and value my old toy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom