• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Just dont nick the stomach, that green slime will shoot out, and you will never get that smell off.

Butcher your own deer a few times. This will pass.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    If you gut shoot a deer, once the cavity is opened, you all know the smell I'm talking about, lean in close, get several big sniffs of the stuff, and your farts will smell like that later that night. Great for getting back at buddies in your hunting camp, or getting the wife out of bed so you can have it all yourself.

I just want to know how the first guy ever figured this one out...

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I don't know what it is but I hate the smell of rabbit. I don't hunt them anymore unless somebody else will clean them. Just something about that smell.

Deer on the other hand has an odd smell at least to me when cooking. Don't know what it is, but don't like it. Tend to either grill it by walking away from the grill or cover the odor with onions or marinade if cooking inside.

I am right with ya on that one. Rabbit smell worse than anything. I wont shoot them unless someone else wants them. With deer it seems to depend on where they are harvested. I have not yet taken one here in Indiana but back in Pa. If you kill a deer that has foraged mostly in wooded areas they are not nearly as good as farmland deer. +1 for bein corn fed in good ol Indiana lol...

And in response to the other issue of the whole looking at guts thing. I never had a problem there. My father taught me to harvest the liver, heart and kidneys, we always carried a 1/2 gallon freezer bag for them. They would also help to warm you up when you shoved them inside your coat or game bag. However I might suggest that if you were to remove some element it might get easier to get used to. Try cleaning a few squirrels. I don't know why, but as long as you don't perforate any of the internal organs they don't smell at all. Maybe eliminating the smell will make it easier to get accustomed to the process. (As in handling guts.) Not to mention those lill tree rats are yummy.:D...JC

Last edited:

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No Pain No Gain. Nothing in life is free. Not even the offense to your olfactory glans.

As a kid, my family slaughtered cows and pigs in the fall to have food on the table the following year. The neighboring famers would bring their livestock over too. It was a big week-end. We always had a big kettle of boiling water to cook certain parts for eating that day. Our smoke house smelled of meat for years after we stopped harvesting for our selves and hired a professional butcher.

Just like a good Farm Yard, the smell brings me home to my childhood. I love that smell.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    It just takes some time. You'll get over it. I tell the kids in hunter education classes that it's just as much a part of the hunt as learning how to safely handle your firearm or picking your hunting gear. I also tell them it is what most consider the messiest part of the sport but it is still a necessary part of the sport, so learn to do it. I would suggest watching a video on the subject. Just remember everybody does it different and most likely you'll have to adapt several methods, then mix them up for one that works best for you.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    If you gut shoot a deer, once the cavity is opened, you all know the smell I'm talking about,

That's what happened with the buck I shot this year. The really bad part was I didn't find him until the next morning so he was full of it when I sliced him open more than 12 hours after the shot. I had to step away a few times but I got the job done without losing it.:rockwoot:

Cbarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Earth
    +1 on this advice. However, I think you should man up and do it yourself if you enjoy hunting and eating what god has provided you. This is the only way to get enough experience to get use to it.

Last edited:

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    I'd just keep going at it! So what if you eventually get sick? At least you kept at it, nothing to be ashamed of that you have a light stomach. I know it doesn't sound pleasant, but for me the joys of the outdoors would even outweigh anything like this.

That being said, the outdoors isn't about that, and if you're in in for the right reasons and this ruins it, maybe a processor would field dress them for you for a little fee?

Or just don't eat before you go out in the morning. It could be your own good luck ritual. Ha ha. But really.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    +1 on this advice. However, I think you should man up and do it yourself if you enjoy hunting and eating what god has provided you. This is the only way to get enough experience to - desensitize, and go on autopilot. I honestly believe this is what happens to me. I almost step outside myself now because I have done it so much. Yes, I use to get sick. I've thrown up. But like others have said, I got back in and got the job done. Do this enough and and the ill feelings will disappear.

I don't know your beliefs but one thing I do is Pray to God giving thanks in my mind while I'll am doing the chore. He gets me through it every time.

Repped for great advice - all of it!

curhuntrer said:
    Quit being a *****!! I bet you do not even eat what you kill, one of them City folk doing it for the sport, probably spent thousands of dollars on "hunting euipment" and still get F#$%ing lost in the park, just give it up and go back to doing whatever you people do.....you give true outdorrsman a bad name!!!

Not repped. Elitist hunters will be the end of hunting over time, sadly. You can either bring in the "wanna be hunters" and get them up to speed, OR you can moan when the bird watchers and tree huggers vote away your right to hunt on any public land as it upsets their lattes and quiet hikes. If anyone needs to be making new friends, it is hunters. Otherwise the young boy in your avatar may have no where to hunt.

curhuntrer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Greensburg
    Never hunted public land and never will, my son will have more land to hunt than he ever can he has been huntong since he was 3 and skinning ALSO. "Guns don't kill people, wannabe hunters kill people" Unknown

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Never hunted public land and never will, my son will have more land to hunt than he ever can he has been huntong since he was 3 and skinning ALSO. "Guns don't kill people, wannabe hunters kill people" Unknown

For the boy's sake, we can only hope that in this case, the nut does fall far from the tree!

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Thank goodness.........there for a minute I thought it was just me.

It's only his 15th post, maybe once he gets over his shyness and really opens up it will get more interesting.:D

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    The secret is ....get really drunk the night before the hunt ...eat lots and lots of hard boiled eggs .....when ya get ready to field dress the game ....fart alot ...you will NEVER smell the guts after what comes outta your own azz .....lmao....J/K

Top Bottom