• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    Screw the pics. If your 7 year-old is going all CQC on a watermellon with the butt of a cricket we need video. This is one of the more entertaining threads Ive seen, please keep us updated.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    How thick do you want it to be? I have access to some scrap steel, aluminum, and brass. I'm here in B'town. Get me some dimensions and I'll see what I can find.

Will post up measurements tonight. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Think A2 sling swivel, or Magpul strike plate.....A J-hook under the bottom of the stock will give you the option of Horizontal or Vertical Butt Stroke, in addition to the Slam.

Look at all these tools in the #&@$^@% toolbox!

:)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Think A2 sling swivel, or Magpul strike plate.....A J-hook under the bottom of the stock will give you the option of Horizontal or Vertical Butt Stroke, in addition to the Slam.

I am confused to what/why you reference the need for these for movements other than what you call "The Slam"... :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I am confused to what/why you reference the need for these for movements other than what you call "The Slam"... :dunno:
    I believe they're principally for when an opponent is in front of you, and either a muzzle thump won't do it, or when your bayonets are locked up....because that happens so often these days.

The sling swivel or magpul Hook add a striking point. I mislabeled it....its called a Smash, not a slam.

Smash
    92bayonet6smashs.jpg

Horizontal Butt Stroke
    92bayonet3verticalbutts.jpg

Vertical Butt Stroke
    92bayonet4risingbutts.jpg

[ame]http://youtu.be/pg0CsUlisBE[/ame]

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Make the but plate first then trim the but stock to it. Trim the stock to rough it in then fine tuning is easy to sand in. You can use about anything that is washable to coat the metal and place it on the wood to indicate what needs fine tuned. I've used a marker, but rub it all over the metal, put the metal up against the wood and the spots that are touching will rub some marker off. Reduce those spots and repeat until the entire thing is touching. Works for sore spots under a denture too but you'll want to be more selective in your choice of pressure indicator.:D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I believe they're principally for when an opponent is in front of you, and either a muzzle thump won't do it, or when your bayonets are locked up....because that happens so often these days.

The sling swivel or magpul Hook add a striking point. I mislabeled it....its called a Smash, not a slam.

I am quite familiar with the how and why one would want to use a Rifle/Shotgun as a Club. Just was unsure what you meant by that "Slam Maneuver" part...

If you ever meet me in person I can verify exactly how I became an expert on Long guns as Clubs. Just ask me to show you my front teeth... ;)

The Sling Swivel or Magpul Hook are NOT needed to make this a VERY effective club that will cause LOTS of Trauma...

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It looks the length is just under 4" and width is just under 2". So a 4"x2" plate is what I am looking for and then I can make that tear shaped to fit.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I am quite familiar with the how and why one would want to use a Rifle/Shotgun as a Club. Just was unsure what you meant by that "Slam Maneuver" part...

If you ever meet me in person I can verify exactly how I became an expert on Long guns as Clubs. Just ask me to show you my front teeth... ;)

The Sling Swivel or Magpul Hook are NOT needed to make this a VERY effective club that will cause LOTS of Trauma...

I was more joking anyways, but really, you can't say its not more effective? Certainly the wood will still make an effective club, but its the same concept as binding a club in iron back way back when, or brass knuckles even. The harder material soaks up less of the impact, and delivers maximum force.

Anyways....I'm sorry about your teeth. Might I recommend hockey helmet? :)
    So on with your story! I doubt I'll get the chance to ask you in person anytime soon.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    It looks the length is just under 4" and width is just under 2". So a 4"x2" plate is what I am looking for and then I can make that tear shaped to fit.
    I found some 1/4" steel and aluminum plate that you can cut to that size. I may be able to cut some brass that would work also. Let me know if any of those interest you. If not, I'll keep looking.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I found some 1/4" steel and aluminum plate that you can cut to that size. I may be able to cut some brass that would work also. Let me know if any of those interest you. If not, I'll keep looking.

1/4 steel would be perfect. If it is not hardened then I should be able to work it with simple tools.

Thanks!

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Let me know where to bring it and I can probably drop it off on my lunch hour one day this week. If you need it before then, I'll try to meet you before that.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Sweet! Steel is in hand and ready to work on later this week. Mwa ha ha ha!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    holy crap I thought you were kidding......:popcorn:

And here is the butter for that popcorn!

Tonight was the perfect night to lose myself in the garage with the tools (easy to do as the place is a mess. I first had to get the old plastic plate off the stock which was impressively GLUED onto the wood. I chose to do the wood stock first since the stroke power of the end product would be more impressive.

In any case, after 15 minutes of careful work followed by 2 angry minutes with a hammer and flathead screwdriver, the plate was off and ready to trace onto the steel plate Mr. Habib so kindly donated to the project:

6028215282_b94ccd87c4_z.jpg

At first I tried to hacksaw the metal but that was gonna take way too long and instead I fired up the cheap drill press and started putting holes into metal:

6028216318_3100eb1f03_z.jpg

It was a $20 sale item that I was not sure could do the job, but it worked out well. Soon I was cutting through the flash:

6027664853_17edd258b2_z.jpg

(Sorry about the low quality of my pics. Had to use the phone because my kids took the other camera)

In any event, I was soon able to simply bend off the remaining metal:

6027665961_1fabacdaa2_z.jpg

Then I grabbed the grinder to shape it and smooth it all off to fit. Add in some screw holes and it looks pretty decent:

6027667163_ddcaa7929a_z.jpg

Mounting worked fine and for a proof of concept, it looks & feels pretty dang functional:

6027668309_aac53fc804_z.jpg

Whole project time? 2 hours tops. Could have done it in far less now that I know a good way to get there from here.

But the final test remains, and this weekend will hopefully be sunny with a likleyhood of raining melons...

:rockwoot:

:ingo:

Techres

P.S. Thanks again to Mr. Habib for donating the metal plate. It was super kind of him to do so! The kids are gonna have a ball.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Should we expect to soon be able to peruse photos/video of Crickets with buttplates,exploding melons, and grinning faces??.... Just askin'.

Top Bottom