• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I took my training at walmart and at the gun counter. Condition butterscotch is the only way to carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU2IOTEZlU

Seriously. An gun with an empty chamber and full mag is a paperweight. How many times have you short stroked racking a slide and not had the slide go into battery when loading a gun? Do it under stress, in a life or death situation.

If you are responding by reacting, you are already taking a hit on the survivabilty timer. The bad guys action is DEFINITELY faster than your reaction speed, and you're going to throw into the mix powerstroking the slide?

another couple videos for you to digest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piN6uFPeG_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fok2fd3IK7M

In the second video, the officer is dead. He didn't even have time to REACH for his sidearm before he was shot.

If you intend to protect yourself with the gun on your hip, the damn thing had better be ready to go as soon as you draw.

Though I'm not a huge

I took my training at walmart and at the gun counter. Condition butterscotch is the only way to carry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU2IOTEZlU

Seriously. An gun with an empty chamber and full mag is a paperweight. How many times have you short stroked racking a slide and not had the slide go into battery when loading a gun? Do it under stress, in a life or death situation.

If you are responding by reacting, you are already taking a hit on the survivabilty timer. The bad guys action is DEFINITELY faster than your reaction speed, and you're going to throw into the mix powerstroking the slide?

another couple videos for you to digest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piN6uFPeG_w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fok2fd3IK7M

In the second video, the officer is dead. He didn't even have time to REACH for his sidearm before he was shot.

If you intend to protect yourself with the gun on your hip, the damn thing had better be ready to go as soon as you draw.

Though I'm not a huge fan of Rob Pincus for other reasons, this video is very damning. The evidence is incontrovertible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs5MSb6r_8k

If you aren't comfortable carrying a gun with a round chambered, then you aren't comfortable with carrying a gun. It's a training issue. It's an EDC issue.

You need:
    1)A stable platform to anchor a holster to-a dedicated GUN belt. Many are available.
    2)A holster that secures the firearm, and has a firm/non-malleable trigger guard cover. I am not a fan of leather for this reason. Body salts and oil wear the leather and make it flex and bend. not good.
    3)A good EDC pistol. For me it's a glock. For you, you may want an external safety. There are many modern pistols that accomodate you. M&P etc. I want point and click. YMMV

seriously though, don't carry wth a round not chambered. IF you need to fire your gun, the odds will typically be stacked against you. Don't give the bad guy a one up on you from the get go.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    Then all the youtube "evidence"... ha see my first post.

One even had a policeman in it!

Looks like we are done with the serious conversation for now.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    i'll throw in my 2 cents since i have no sense.

I too am old fashioned. Until last year, I carried D/A safety on. I had taken classes in the past, but i continue to take more because i realize I didn't learn everything about life in highschool and i haven't learned everything about guns.

After a couple of classes that introduced more stress into the equation, and it was low level in my opinion, once I forgot to present the firearm with the safety off. That was all it took for me. That one press of a trigger with no resistance to the back of the trigger guard taught me a valuable lesson.

seagulllplaya, I won't try to persuade you otherwise. I still disagree with the majority of people here probably in that I prefer a physical safety in my carry guns for the same reason I still prefer a hammer, visual and tactile. However it is now only engaged when I am holstering, undresssing, or otherwise handling the firearm for "everyday" reasons. For me, that feels "safer". But I will no longer carry with the safety engaged.

I never tried to rationalize the empty chamber scenario precisely because I am rather religious about my guns having safeties.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Then all the youtube "evidence"... ha see my first post.

One even had a policeman in it!

Looks like we are done with the serious conversation for now.

Would you rather me post videos or evidence from physiology and/or kinesiology? You feel safer with an empty chamber. More power to you. Might as well throw your ****ing gun at them though.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I am saying that I believe the odds of me ever being in that situation are minimal. Even by the stats that BBI show you would still have the advantage in the majority of the cases he studied just by having a firearm.

I am willing to take that risk, and I believe it is a reasonable one.

If the situation is so unlikely, why even carry the gun at all?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the situation is so unlikely, why even carry the gun at all?

Fair question^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The gun by itself is not a Talisman.
    Do you train/practice for this situation as in getting the weapon from the holster, round put into battery and brought to bear.
    Another fair question.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Thankfully, this could never possibly happen to me.

I've taken training with Appleseed, Revere's Riders & taken the NRA basic class.
    I've trained one on one, and in groups with Coach.
    I've taking ACT's defensive handgun classes multiple times.
    I've trained with BBI & Coach.
    I've done USPSA Training, Medical Training, and managing confrontations...
    I'm a friggin expert... it just can't happen to me at all...
    Not because of the above training though. Entirely because, I have no butt.
    :)

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Why have a fire extinguisher? Why have a first-aid kit? Why have airbags in your car?

I think he is not questioning the validity of carrying. He is questioning the idea of an uncharged fire extinguisher or driving with your airbag unplugged, as it were. If one considers the need for an airbag to be so remote he unplugs it, why have it in your car at all?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I think he is not questioning the validity of carrying. He is questioning the idea of an uncharged fire extinguisher or driving with your airbag unplugged, as it were. If one considers the need for an airbag to be so remote he unplugs it, why have it in your car at all?

An uncharged fire extinguisher or a disconnected airbag is useless. A firearm carried with the safety on, or with an empty chamber, is not. I look at method of carry as nothing more than another aspect of one's personal assessment of risk (such as weighing the risk of ND versus the risk of the firearm being inoperable when drawn, due to not disengaging the safety or not being able to chamber a round), and do not question or disparage someone's personal risk assessment if it differs from my own.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i'll throw in my 2 cents since i have no sense.

I too am old fashioned. Until last year, I carried D/A safety on. I had taken classes in the past, but i continue to take more because i realize I didn't learn everything about life in high school and i haven't learned everything about guns.

After a couple of classes that introduced more stress into the equation, and it was low level in my opinion, once I forgot to present the firearm with the safety off. That was all it took for me. That one press of a trigger with no resistance to the back of the trigger guard taught me a valuable lesson.

seagulllplaya, I won't try to persuade you otherwise. I still disagree with the majority of people here probably in that I prefer a physical safety in my carry guns for the same reason I still prefer a hammer, visual and tactile. However it is now only engaged when I am holstering, undresssing, or otherwise handling the firearm for "everyday" reasons. For me, that feels "safer". But I will no longer carry with the safety engaged.

I never tried to rationalize the empty chamber scenario precisely because I am rather religious about my guns having safeties.

Some sort of icon thing, huh?

We baptist just make sure our guns fire under water. :):

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    An uncharged fire extinguisher or a disconnected airbag is useless. A firearm carried with the safety on, or with an empty chamber, is not. I look at method of carry as nothing more than another aspect of one's personal assessment of risk (such as weighing the risk of ND versus the risk of the firearm being inoperable when drawn, due to not disengaging the safety or not being able to chamber a round), and do not question or disparage someone's personal risk assessment if it differs from my own.
    Agreed, but...

If that risk assessment is based on false information (e.g. I can readily rack the slide when necessary) the then the risk assessment is invalid.

While it may be easy to run drills for this, it's much hard to foresee possible scenarios and the risk that you will short stroke the slide or have a discharge when doing it (finger in the wrong place).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Agreed, but...

If that risk assessment is based on false information (e.g. I can readily rack the slide when necessary) the then the risk assessment is invalid.

While it may be easy to run drills for this, it's much hard to foresee possible scenarios and the risk that you will short stroke the slide or have a discharge when doing it (finger in the wrong place).

I see your risk assessment is largely in line with mine. :)

Top Bottom