• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    I just felt like posting this , I use 2 local gunshops for mostly everything.
    I may pay a couple more dollars than you internet guys , but ill tell you what , when i need help or have a question my lgs sure dont hesitate to give me a hand or advice ....A big thumbs up to CAMPBELLS FIREARMS AND DOWNHAM AND SONS SHOOTERS SUPPLY IN LOGANSPORT INDIANA ......my point is support your local shop before they arent there any longer :ingo:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Campbells.. Yes, he is a heck of a guy, and always good to deal with. Downhams... I have been in there a handful of times, and every time I have felt like I am being viewed as a waste of his time. I have chosen to not return there for this very reason. Down By The Tracks is another that I enjoy doing business with, as their customer service is top notch as well!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Always have, still do, always will.
    A few dollars here and there for human interaction is merely a convenience charge.
    Add to that the relationships you are developing.....priceless.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    I get my ammo at Orion Arms Corp (aka Keislers), and I absolutely love dealing with Rick (aka indiucky here on INGO) at Falls City Firearms.

:rockwoot:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I've never bought a gun off of the interwebs for this very reason. LGS need our support and they're working hard every day to put food on the table. Sure, you can save $50 or so bucks by buying online... but then you have the hassle of shipping, paying transfer fee. It's just not worth it to me. Too many keep buying online and not supporting the local guy eventually there won't be enough local guys to do the transfers.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    My father told me about downhams. said Mary Downham sold him .22 LR ammo all the time. they've been in business a long long time.

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    Campbells.. Yes, he is a heck of a guy, and always good to deal with. Downhams... I have been in there a handful of times, and every time I have felt like I am being viewed as a waste of his time. I have chosen to not return there for this very reason. Down By The Tracks is another that I enjoy doing business with, as their customer service is top notch as well!
    opinions are all around us , seems to make the world go round ..Anyhow depends i guess on what you are going in there for , do you buy from doug ? have you bought from doug ? See, alot of people go in there that are what you call tire kickers and thats fine and all , but when they continue to come back and kick tires all the time seems some of them are a waste of time . Not saying this is you , just a general comparison. Ive seen people come in that want to ask about putting a 10$ gun on their insurance policy , or i just bought this gun off of so and so whats it worth , or i bought this gun from this guy , can you fix it for me ? How about this one , well i can get that gun 50 or so cheaper online and on and on , think about how many people come in that are a waste of time ? But anyhow dale is a very good friend of mine and i do most of my business with him , have a good one :twocents:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I support my LGS as much as I can, the only time I don't is when I buy bulk ammo online or mags sometimes. I do buy ammo in bulk there though sometimes, just depends. I've never bought a firearm online, heck with that. I went to school with the owner of my LGS, and I know the owners fairly well on the rest within an hour of me. I like face to face interactions and checking out the firearm in person, that's just me.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Where is campbells? I know where downhams is, really like the shop. Took a few trips in there of looking around before they warmed up so to speak. Down by the tracks is a good shop too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    opinions are all around us , seems to make the world go round ..Anyhow depends i guess on what you are going in there for , do you buy from doug ? have you bought from doug ? See, alot of people go in there that are what you call tire kickers and thats fine and all , but when they continue to come back and kick tires all the time seems some of them are a waste of time . Not saying this is you , just a general comparison. Ive seen people come in that want to ask about putting a 10$ gun on their insurance policy , or i just bought this gun off of so and so whats it worth , or i bought this gun from this guy , can you fix it for me ? How about this one , well i can get that gun 50 or so cheaper online and on and on , think about how many people come in that are a waste of time ? But anyhow dale is a very good friend of mine and i do most of my business with him , have a good one :twocents:

See the very same thing in the shops I support. Tire kickers are a growing breed. No issue with shopping. Folks are of a mind that everyone is desperate these days. They use the economy like a tool for the "Great deal"

If it is in the case at $550.00 then that is the price. You may get a 10% nudge on the sticker but telling someone the interwebs will do this or that is not going to put you in their good graces. Just an observation.

fireman28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    I've been to Downham in Logan. I thought they were pretty nice. I dealt with an older woman that showed me everything I wanted to see and never acted like I was wasting her time. She even doug through a box of clips to find one that would fit my wife bersa thunder. Now the guy their seemed nice, but didn't bother to help me.
    I don't see the problem with people going into a gun shop, look around and then leave. I go to 4-guns a lot just to look around and see if they have anything new. I have bought 3 guns from them just because they never act like I'm a bother to them. Only a couple times they were really busy and wasn't very "friendly", but I understand that.

jghelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    May 12, 2010
    logansport IN
    Where is campbells? I know where downhams is, really like the shop. Took a few trips in there of looking around before they warmed up so to speak. Down by the tracks is a good shop too.
    Campbells firearms is in royal center , IN
    the phone number to the shop is 574-355-6375 and he is LEO and supports his fellow LEO and MILITARY PEOPLE , he gives them a great discount too , but you will have to call him to see how good :) anyhow let him know Jesse sent you thanks

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I agree to an extent. Some LGS are just plain ignorant and rude and I refuse to do any business with them. On the west side of Indy, there is a shop that I refuse to enter. I've had the owner "belittle" me for my wanting to replace the factory goal post glock sights with night sights, telling me that glocks sights are the best around and night sights are just a gimmick...do a little low light work and get back to me. The next time I was in, I was reluctant but they were the only shop in town that had the gun I was looking for at the time. It was a display model and it was beat and dinged to death on the sights. When I asked about it, they took it to the back, rubbed some oil on it and proceeded to wrap it up for me with out even showing me. Needless to say, I politely left.

Luckily there is more than one shop around here, Fort Liberty and Bradis have always treated me well so I continue to support them, but I do the majority of purchasing from online vendors, and I will tell you why. They are active and provide me (and the rest of the different communities I belong to) with reliable real world information and reviews. They take the time out to share their knowledge of combat and training on a DAILY basis, and that is what is important to me.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010

I fully understand what you mean, and Im not going to get into specifics about why I feel the way I do on a public site. I dont feel that is exactly a mature thing to do. As someone that comes from a family that runs a business, running the name through the mud can do more damage faster than you can imagine. I hope that every LGS I have ever set foot in remains open for my kids and grandkids to see one day... Except for Dons, cuz hes a creep.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree to an extent. Some LGS are just plain ignorant and rude and I refuse to do any business with them. On the west side of Indy, there is a shop that I refuse to enter. I've had the owner "belittle" me for my wanting to replace the factory goal post glock sights with night sights, telling me that glocks sights are the best around and night sights are just a gimmick...do a little low light work and get back to me. The next time I was in, I was reluctant but they were the only shop in town that had the gun I was looking for at the time. It was a display model and it was beat and dinged to death on the sights. When I asked about it, they took it to the back, rubbed some oil on it and proceeded to wrap it up for me with out even showing me. Needless to say, I politely left.

Luckily there is more than one shop around here, Fort Liberty and Bradis have always treated me well so I continue to support them, but I do the majority of purchasing from online vendors, and I will tell you why. They are active and provide me (and the rest of the different communities I belong to) with reliable real world information and reviews. They take the time out to share their knowledge of combat and training on a DAILY basis, and that is what is important to me.

If you do not want to share the name of the offending LGS please PM me. I am west side and think I know who you are referring to but would like to be sure.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you do not want to share the name of the offending LGS please PM me. I am west side and think I know who you are referring to but would like to be sure.

I don't have an issue naming the shop, but am also not wanting to take the OP's thread off topic. I believe if you are going to treat your customers a certain way, you should be willing to take ownership of it. The shop I was referring to is Plainfield Shooting Supply.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    I just felt like posting this , I use 2 local gunshops for mostly everything.
    I may pay a couple more dollars than you internet guys , but ill tell you what , when i need help or have a question my lgs sure dont hesitate to give me a hand or advice ....A big thumbs up to CAMPBELLS FIREARMS AND DOWNHAM AND SONS SHOOTERS SUPPLY IN LOGANSPORT INDIANA ......my point is support your local shop before they arent there any longer :ingo:

A couple more dollars is ok, $100-$200 is insane.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't have an issue naming the shop, but am also not wanting to take the OP's thread off topic. I believe if you are going to treat your customers a certain way, you should be willing to take ownership of it. The shop I was referring to is Plainfield Shooting Supply.

Thanks for the info. I have in past purchased a few pieces from that store. Never experienced what you describe but have seen a few folks get "Miffed" in there.

Top Bottom