MI Government, ARMED raids on small pig farms!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So they outlawed people growing Russian wild pigs because of the fear of them spreading disease to their actual livestock swine. I certainly didn't that from the original story.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The only difference between domestic and feral animals is a matter of discipline. Genetically, they are the same. the feral examples are accustomed to roaming free and were likely born free of confinement and function as wild animals, but in reality this is much like having a colony of feral domestic cats. They are not a distinct type or species but rather not in the discipline imparted by human handling.

LOL!

Really you need to read a little more education on Swine...

There are huge differences far beyond "discipline" between Feral Swine and the Domestic Strains of Swine

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    LOL!

There are huge differences far beyond "discipline" between Feral Swine and the Domestic Strains of Swine

Then do us the favor of educating us.

Because biologically, he's right. Feral is a definition. It means a population of domesticated animals returning to the "wild" state whence their ancestors originated. There would be no genetic difference between the feral version of a domesticated breed and the still domesticated population other than what would have changed--theoretically--in the short period of time due to genetic drift.

Cole54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    LaGrange county
    LOL!

My thoughts exactly, your common domestic swine is a completely different animal than wild swine such as European hogs. I'd like to see what breed these pigs were that had to be destroyed.

Cole54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    LaGrange county
    Then do us the favor of educating us.

Because biologically, he's right. Feral is a definition. It means a population of domesticated animals returning to the "wild" state whence their ancestors originated. There would be no genetic difference between the feral version of a domesticated breed and the still domesticated population other than what would have changed--theoretically--in the short period of time due to genetic drift.

It's the same difference as a wolf and a domestic dog, genetically the same yes, but a completely different animal.

Cole54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    LaGrange county
    I'd just like to see the animals in question. What condition they where in, where they de-tusked, how they were contained, etc. It just seems completely insane that the dnr would order the destruction of common livestock without a reason.

Cole54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    LaGrange county
    So then it DOES come down to a matter of control, not genetics.

I wouldn't know I've never seen a york, hampshire, or any other domestic breed of swine released into the wild. I'm sure they could survive :dunno: Someone more qualified then myself would have to weigh in on that, my experience with swine stems only from being a 4-h member and exhibiting swine in 4-h.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wildlife experts dread impact of wild hogs on central and southern Michigan | MLive.com

DNR - Rules for Shooting Feral Swine

After reading about a dozen articles (Google is your friend), here is what I could figure out. Michigan is having a real problem with feral pigs. Read the definition on the DNR page, feral means free ranging. Game preserves up in Michigan are raising these Eurasian wild pig species in order to turn them loose for hunters to pay and shoot them. Obviously many of the pigs don't stay on the preserve property and they are having a population explosion out in the wild. Since they are wild pigs, they begin to carry a host of diseases and parasites. When they stop in to visit with their domesticated cousins, they pass those health issues. They are also destroying crops, causing pollution in the waterways and just generally causing problems. So the state passed a law against it and the DNR is enforcing it.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    So why doesn't the MI DNR Just insist that no hog leaves the farm alive except in a trailer to market. AS in no single sales of live animals? I can totally see "Bubba" buying and releasing to hunt. As usual this is a not well thought out government knee jerk reaction to a real problem. Burdening honest hard working citizens with with laws that wont work because they are not affecting the CRIMINALS that cause problems.
    Of course the idealist in me says this rings close to what happened in California at the Organic farmers where the FDA made the farmers dump bleach on all the harvested food and destroyed the crops. Control the food, control the people. I'm just saying.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Coming from a farming family, this concerns me greatly, whats to stop them from say killing cattle because of the risk of anthrax or TB or even mad cow disease. This is a direct violation of the 4th amendment and I hope the guy sues the state and MI has to pay out of their ***es for this.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    LOL!

There are wild swine, but feral swine (or any other feral creature) are a domestic type no longer in captivity functioning as wild animals. Please open your dictionary before opening your mouth (or keyboard, as the case may be).

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Coming from a farming family, this concerns me greatly, whats to stop them from say killing cattle because of the risk of anthrax or TB or even mad cow disease. This is a direct violation of the 4th amendment and I hope the guy sues the state and MI has to pay out of their ***es for this.

The answer is nothing. If they succeed in this endeavor there will be a precedent set. That will allow any animal raised to be a threat. Then when all that is left is what they want we are stuck with it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    LOL!

Peccary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If it is running loose (i.e., permanently as opposed to having escaped from the fence) and it is not one of the above-mentioned animals, then it is a feral swine which is the same creature as a domestic swine which happens to live at large as its standard condition of life without the influences of animal husbandry affecting its behavior hence functioning as a wild animal.

Top Bottom