MI Government, ARMED raids on small pig farms!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There are wild swine, but feral swine (or any other feral creature) are a domestic type no longer in captivity functioning as wild animals. Please open your dictionary before opening your mouth (or keyboard, as the case may be).

If you read the article, the law was passed specifically due to the Eurasian wild species that were being released, intentionally and unintentionally, into the wild.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Coming from a farming family, this concerns me greatly, whats to stop them from say killing cattle because of the risk of anthrax or TB or even mad cow disease. This is a direct violation of the 4th amendment and I hope the guy sues the state and MI has to pay out of their ***es for this.

It is mostly the farmers that wanted something done.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    It is mostly the farmers that wanted something done.

They may of be in favor of some law to restrict the sale and movement and possibly even testing, heck Indiana has those laws, but I can say that most farmers would not of been in favor of the government sending in armed squads to wipe out another farmers herd or force him to do it himself because it would open themselves up to the same thing.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    They may of be in favor of some law to restrict the sale and movement and possibly even testing, heck Indiana has those laws, but I can guarantee you that no farmer would of been in favor of the government sending in armed squads to wipe out another farmers herd or force him to do it himself because it would open themselves up to the same thing.

I wouldn't be so quick to guarantee that. Many people love all sorts of tyranny not directed at themselves because they think they'll never be the target of said tyranny. Do you think other hog farmers think their herds will be looked on like these evil feral pigs?

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I wouldn't be so quick to guarantee that. Many people love all sorts of tyranny not directed at themselves because they think they'll never be the target of said tyranny. Do you think other hog farmers think their herds will be looked on like these evil feral pigs?

Yeah, I can see other farmers fearing that.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Without reading every article or every post, what were these, some type of vampire zombie mutant alpha centauri space pigs with a long rap sheet of sexual misconduct????

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    How many gun owners support assault weapons bans because they only like to hunt? It's a lot more than you think.

Sad but true! I am amazed by the mentality of thinking that it will magically stop after they take the 'assault weapons' and they will never come after anything else.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Then do us the favor of educating us.

Because biologically, he's right. Feral is a definition. It means a population of domesticated animals returning to the "wild" state whence their ancestors originated. There would be no genetic difference between the feral version of a domesticated breed and the still domesticated population other than what would have changed--theoretically--in the short period of time due to genetic drift.

The breeds of Hog that this targets are; Old World swine, Razorback, Eurasian Wild Boar and Russian Wild Boar. These breeds of swine are widely accepted to be wild or feral breeds across the USA.

The reason for this is due mainly towards Asshats who were bringing them into the State for Hunt Ranches, or to release into the wild for the purpose of being able to hunt Hogs in Michigan. I would imagine that the Farmers in the State of Michigan were firmly behind the this bill. Wild/Feral Hogs do a LOT of damage, they harbor a LOT of harmful parasites.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    The breeds of Hog that this targets are; Old World swine, Razorback, Eurasian Wild Boar and Russian Wild Boar. These breeds of swine are widely accepted to be wild or feral breeds across the USA.

The reason for this is due mainly towards Asshats who were bringing them into the State for Hunt Ranches, or to release into the wild for the purpose of being able to hunt Hogs in Michigan. I would imagine that the Farmers in the State of Michigan were firmly behind the this bill. Wild/Feral Hogs do a LOT of damage, they harbor a LOT of harmful parasites.

So is this culling a good thing or a bad thing? Serious question. I don't know.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So is this culling a good thing or a bad thing? Serious question. I don't know.
    In my opinion....

**** yes. There is no good reason to want a Feral/Wild Hog population in an area that does not currently have one.

A small herd of pigs will destroy several acres of ground a night. Fences will not stop them or hold a pig out with out a LOT of Diligence. Within a year, 1 Boar, and 1 Sow can be responsible for fostering roughly 1,000+ pigs in there terrain. It is a proven fact over and over again you cannot hunt a herd into extinction once they are established...

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    In my opinion....

**** yes. There is no good reason to want a Feral/Wild Hog population in an area that does not currently have one.

A small herd of pigs will destroy several acres of ground a night. Fences will not stop them or hold a pig out with out a LOT of Diligence. Within a year, 1 Boar, and 1 Sow can be responsible for fostering roughly 1,000+ pigs in there terrain. It is a proven fact over and over again you cannot hunt a herd into extinction once they are established...

Sounds like a challenge. Indiana hunters are some of the most prolific in the world.

Like I said before, we killed off or ran off every pig, bear, cat, deer, bison, elk, etc before they even broke ground on Indianapolis.

Cole54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    LaGrange county
    Finally got a chance to watch the bakers acres video over lunch. To me it looks like a little sketchy on both parties involved. If this guy is just raising these pigs for meat and not to sell to be released and hunted then the DNR is in the wrong here IMO. As for the guys claiming that the major pork producers are out to get him and have hired the DNR to do their dirty work, that sounds a little far fetched to me.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Breed identification is moot if the question is involving feral vs domesticated livestock (in theory, see below where I address the practical real world part). Old MacDonald's pigs would be a problem if allowed to go feral and started tearing up the countryside and causing damage to other people's properties. I understand that breed identification is a good indicator of feral status in some regards. But the issue is containment, not breed.

A population of Hampshires could go feral. (I chose this one because it's one of the oldest and most "American" breeds in the U.S. today.) And a population of razorbacks could be domesticated in every sense of the word.

In the above examples, where is the problem? In the breed or in the containment?

If the legislation is identifying problem swine populations based on breed alone, then it's in error. And if the farmers who have had their property searched and their livestock confiscated (I use the term loosely) have maintained populations in confinement, then I believe they are being unfairly targeted.

Even if the law is justly written, and even if these farmers were in violation of it, I think the efforts of the government to enforce it are waaaay overboard.

I should note I'm not opposed to the legislation. I'm not in favor of it either. I understand the rationale and I support that, but I don't know enough about the specific legislation to take a stance on it one way or the other.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Why would monsanto and cargil lobby the organic farming bill? My open pollinated garden isn't going to cut into their business. Now on to the feral debate, the word "feral" does not describe a breed, but rather an orientation. Example, a cat that doesn't come into contact with a human within 6-7 days of birth will be considered feral while the same cat is domestic if contact exists.

Seriously, Agenda 21 explains it all.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Oh and what about the DNR? As stated earlier, they have a history of doing exactly what they claim to be trying to prevent! Look at the coyotes...released into the wild by the DNR back in the '70s presumably to thin the game harvest and prevent people from eating healthy and wild game for sustenance thus forcing us to buy from the "producers".

Top Bottom