• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    I am up to date on carrying my hand gun in Michigan. But this trip is taking me through a few of the larger cities up north and was wondering about taking some back up. Like my 12 gauge. I know Michigan is a "Duty to inform" and I have had the pleasure of informing a MSP officer I was carrying at a road side interaction. Can anyone point me in the direction of the laws on carrying long guns or shotguns in the car?

Frost49

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Tim Buk 2
    Well then sounds like it isn't worth the chance of having a meeting with a confused LEO. I'll just take an extra handgun.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Long guns must be unloaded and not within reach of the occupants. There is even some confusion over whether having a loaded magazine in the vehicle is legal.

Those laws are retarded.

Ignorance combined with those laws is even worse. I've had Illinois residents tell me that I can have a loaded rifle in my vehicle in Indiana. When I asked them to cite the specific part of the Indiana Code, they told me they just knew it was true. Then a friend of theirs who is an Indiana resident added that he knew it was true because he had "read it somewhere recently."

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Those laws are retarded.

Ignorance combined with those laws is even worse. I've had Illinois residents tell me that I can have a loaded rifle in my vehicle in Indiana. When I asked them to cite the specific part of the Indiana Code, they told me they just knew it was true. Then a friend of theirs who is an Indiana resident added that he knew it was true because he had "read it somewhere recently."

That was not me. Jim.

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Concerning long guns, I thought that they had to be in a locked case or have some kind of a trigger lock on them.
    I remember the dealers up there make it a point to ask if you have one before they sell and they will insist that you buy one if you don't have it.
    When I go to the shows up there, I always take a case with a lock along in case I find something.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Concerning long guns, I thought that they had to be in a locked case or have some kind of a trigger lock on them.
    I remember the dealers up there make it a point to ask if you have one before they sell and they will insist that you buy one if you don't have it.
    When I go to the shows up there, I always take a case with a lock along in case I find something.

Cased is preferred. It is really going to vary by LE agency. I was at the jail one time when a trooper brought a guy in and wanted to lodge him because he had an unloaded rifle in his trunk. The jail LT. refused to take him.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Last edited:

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana

RapidRounds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Sellersburg
    Long guns must be unloaded and not within reach of the occupants. There is even some confusion over whether having a loaded magazine in the vehicle is legal.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf

Maybe it is in the link somewhere. I was once told that certain states require the gun to be in the trunk, inside a case and that the ammo must be in a seperate case. Whether the ammo has to be in the trunk or not I can't remember. There is a handbook online that you can download about interstate travel as well. Although that may be for handguns only, not sure. Worse case call the MSP HQ and just ask what the laws are. No shame in that.

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I usually take 2 handguns to Michigan each winter while snowmobiling. Some of those UP trails are way out in the middle of nowhere.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Those laws are retarded.

You know you CAN have a loaded rifle in your vehicle in Indiana, right? It's not in the IC because the IC is silent on the matter, therefore it's legal.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Ahhh, Pure Michigan. I certainly do not miss going to Detroit in the middle of the night with a .45 in a shoulder holster, and a .357 just sitting on my lap. It's a miserable swamp we couldn't even give to Canada; the part of Ohio no one wanted. I say these things as someone that couldn't care less about college football. May the Great Lakes swell.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ahhh, Pure Michigan. I certainly do not miss going to Detroit in the middle of the night with a .45 in a shoulder holster, and a .357 just sitting on my lap. It's a miserable swamp we couldn't even give to Canada; the part of Ohio no one wanted. I say these things as someone that couldn't care less about college football. May the Great Lakes swell.

Clearly you haven't been to the west side of the state. Spring, summer, and fall I actually love it here. Winter just isn't for me though.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You know you CAN have a loaded rifle in your vehicle in Indiana, right? It's not in the IC because the IC is silent on the matter, therefore it's legal.

Yes, I know that.

Clearly you haven't been to the west side of the state. Spring, summer, and fall I actually love it here. Winter just isn't for me though.

You're weird. Life is better below zero!

Top Bottom