• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Clearly you haven't been to the west side of the state. Spring, summer, and fall I actually love it here. Winter just isn't for me though.

Oh, but I have. I was a long range expediter for 11 years before I moved to Indianapolis and took a "local" route. I am familiar with Michigan on a level most people that do not live there will never achieve. Clearly, you have not had the pleasure of operating a commercial vehicle up there. It's a miserable experience, and the main reason I have absolutely no use for it now. I could write a book on my misadventures there.

"A preview of Hades. Your guide to Trucking in Michigan".

Chapter one: Yes, they actually think this is a road.
    Chapter two: A quick translation guide to what the angry Ukranian or Pakistani is yelling about on his cell phone in the bathroom. (And how to tell the difference)
    Chapter three: The Michigan philosophy of DOT enforcement: maximus compotratio vexationes.
    Chapter four: Snow removal. Don't expect it.
    Chapter five: Wasting your time is their business. Meet the Union shops.
    Chapter six: Address, shmaddress. Everyone around here knows where that unmarked machine shop is outside of town on that dirt road.

I could go on and flesh those ideas out for quite some time.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Detroit is one of my destinations unfortunately.

Well, aren't you lucky! If you haven't been there in awhile you'll be positively shocked at the level of urban decay. There isn't a flat surface left that isn't covered in graffiti. They've even taken to crawling out onto interstate signs over the road to tag them. Someone named "Head" seems to be especially good at it. Take lots of pictures so others will believe your stories.

I do have a handful of nice things to say. If you see a sign for Beef Jerky Unlimited, go. It was one of my favorite places. Another Michigan business to visit is any one of the Big John sub shops. I liked them quite a bit. Also, if the trip allows try to visit the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. It's an amazing attraction that in reality would take two or three days to fully enjoy.

Chris

Top Bottom