• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Yes I did see the recommendations of starting OAL in the book. The otehr book (one caliber, one round) as well as LEE's booklet has different OAL starting points as well. :rolleyes: <-- not to you but more the book author's!

Why does Lyman say to start at 1.275 and also state that is the MAX as well? :dunno: Seems rather dumb? Sort of like OK you can start end (1.275) and oh BTW the end point is 1.275. So in essnse don't move off the 1.275. Yet in doing measurements I know 1.271 works in my weapon and other books give 1.200 - 1.275 as a starting point. :faint:

Lyman's manual is playing it safe, but they DO tell you which make of bullet they used (Speer). You will find that the heaviest jacketed bullets will often be seated to the max OAL for a pistol round. They have to put all that bullet somewhere! ;)

Just keep 2 simple things in mind while deliberating over all of this:

1) Follow the published load data from the bullet manufacturer, if it's available.

2) Safe load pressure is a function of charge weight, bullet weight and seating depth. Start low and work up until you have a functional, reasonably accurate load.

If you are going to load at or near max charge, seat the bullet out as far as you can and not be into the lands. If you don't understand the whys and wherefores...just follow what the book says and stay out of the danger zone. :)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Don't sweat it overmuch. Even being off by a hundreth of an inch from the manual, much as it may offend the engineer in you, won't cause you serious issues.

So just use my managment education instead of the engr one and realize that it now cost less to shoot so shoot away knowing to just check on what the foolish engr is doing eveyr now and then 2 make sure it does not cost me (in other ways) more down the road. :D

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    So just use my managment education instead of the engr one and realize that it now cost less to shoot so shoot away knowing to just check on what the foolish engr is doing eveyr now and then 2 make sure it does not cost me (in other ways) more down the road. :D

That's it exactly. Become more anal about it if you start pushing the envelope but otherwise just make sure you aren't double charging or not charging your rounds (the two biggest and most common mistakes) and enjoy.

Top Bottom