• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Living in mom's basement is pretty safe. Having mom do the laundry and eat for free shows that their bartering skills are awesome.

What was the question?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    We should form a support group. Let's make sure we have plenty of ice packs on hand to reduce the bruising.

I hear ya. I once told my wife she did something wrong and I didnt see her again for 2 days.

After that the swelling was down enough I could kinda see out of one eye. :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    for the record, cause I know the INGO Millennials hate these threads, we are not (or at least I'm not) talking about all (or even most) Millennials.

I'm pretty sure, a bigger percentage of Millennials on INGO are probably better prepared than Non-INGOers. That may hold true for Non-Millennials also.

But, the percentage of Millennials that "fit the mold" seems to have taken a quantum jump.

And yes, I fault the generation before them for NOT teaching them, or for saying it should be taught in school.
    I see a meme on Facebook about teaching tire changing, balancing checkbooks, etc in school, and I get mad.
    That's what PARENTS are for.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    for the record, cause I know the INGO Millennials hate these threads, we are not (or at least I'm not) talking about all (or even most) Millennials.

I'm pretty sure, a bigger percentage of Millennials on INGO are probably better prepared than Non-INGOers. That may hold true for Non-Millennials also.

But, the percentage of Millennials that "fit the mold" seems to have taken a quantum jump.

And yes, I fault the generation before them for NOT teaching them, or for saying it should be taught in school.
    I see a meme on Facebook about teaching tire changing, balancing checkbooks, etc in school, and I get mad.
    That's what PARENTS are for.

It can be a good idea to teach those things in school if many parents don't do it.
    Not to mention not everybody has their parents around to teach them stuff.

I was taught how to change a tire as part of my driving lessons (I already knew how to do it but if I didn't I would have learned there).You can't get your driver's licence if you don't know how to change a tire, or check oil, over here.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    It can be a good idea to teach those things in school if many parents don't do it.

I was taught how to change a tire as part of my driving lessons (I already knew how to do it but if I didn't I would have learned there).You can't get your driver's licence if you don't know how to change a tire, or check oil, over here.

Damn commies!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

If we need school to teach kids everything the parents don't, then we need the kids at school all day, instead of with their families.
    Go to crèches.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thats not what it said though, it said in open water...I can swim just fine, as most of us can, but I would assume that in the ocean I might be outclassed...

Even moderately sized lakes. I remember fishing trips to Canada swimming in the lakes and after a little while you could easily find yourself on a different island.

tribeofham

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 21, 2017
    Fishers
    Well, I for one agree that we need to help them prep, but cannot for the life of me find gluten free tacos Inn the camping aisle.

I had a work dinner with a millennial who insisted that his food cannot touch anything that came into close contact with gluten. He doesn'tt have celiac disease, just insisted that it is very, very bad for you. After dinner he treated himself to dessert: a large helping of chocolate lava cake. Yes, regular flour based cake. The waitress looked annoyed because she went out of her way to accommodate him. His reasoning? Dessert isn't a meal.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I had a work dinner with a millennial who insisted that his food cannot touch anything that came into close contact with gluten. He doesn'tt have celiac disease, just insisted that it is very, very bad for you. After dinner he treated himself to dessert: a large helping of chocolate lava cake. Yes, regular flour based cake. The waitress looked annoyed because she went out of her way to accommodate him. His reasoning? Dessert isn't a meal.

The semi-recent and on-going gluten free craze is both a blessing and a curse to my wife who DOES have Celiac Disease. When we go out to eat, we will generally always include "this is a real health issue, I'm not part of the fad" or some similar phrasing.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I get the "millennial" concept as i am one myself. However i have learned basic survival and more through family friend and innate desire to learn. A lot have not. they have never had the opportunity to even be curious so to blame them for their issue is partly unfair. You don't know what you don't know. how many here teach the knowledge they have to somebody younger besides an immediate family member? the exposure to the outdoors and the lifestyle with it is dwindling as we feel the need to privatize and make profit on literally everything. the most some kids get of the outdoors is unfortunately the internet, and the closest body of water is an neighborhood retention pond.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I get the "millennial" concept as i am one myself. However i have learned basic survival and more through family friend and innate desire to learn. A lot have not. they have never had the opportunity to even be curious so to blame them for their issue is partly unfair. You don't know what you don't know. how many here teach the knowledge they have to somebody younger besides an immediate family member? the exposure to the outdoors and the lifestyle with it is dwindling as we feel the need to privatize and make profit on literally everything. the most some kids get of the outdoors is unfortunately the internet, and the closest body of water is an neighborhood retention pond.
    50 years ago I was getting kicked out of the house to go play outside using my imagination. Aside from climbing trees until the branches bent and playing ball in the street, we did goofy stuff like impersonating Cecil B Demille, jousting on our bikes wearing football or hockey helmets, using trash can lids for shields, and brooms for lances. Nothing anything self respecting "helicopter parent" would allow. I think we were a bit like a flock of feral parrots.
    With all that came the ability to think outside the box and improvise which is at the root of survival skill.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    FWIW, the only people I know that avoid gluten are over 40.

My 10 year old G-Daughter is a celiac. Among other things allergic.
    It is a tough thing to feed her properly.
    In our preps we have had to make accommodations for this. She has her own shelf of foods and meds.

This Gluton free thing has in fact made it much easier to find safe edibles for her.

Top Bottom