Milsurps Suck!! (military surplus rifles/arms)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    Literally every gun in my collection has a direct military heritage. Mosin nagants, PSLs, Remington 700 PSS, ARs, AKs, Garands, 1903a4, on and on and on. I don't enjoy a gun unless it has history. ;)

and for the people that say they're inaccurate here is me shooting my PU sniper at over 1/2 mile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiML8V70830

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Some of the finest rifles I own are mil-surplus. One, a 1914 Swedish Mauser, is THE most accurate rifle I've ever shot. I hope to some day due it justice by building skill with it. Another is a 1943 Finnish Mosin that is also far more accurate than I am. I've had other Mosins that were just Ok in accuracy but this one stands above them. My oldest son has an M91 Mosin built by Westinghouse. It was built for the Imperial Russian Army, and at some point ended up in the Finnish Army. That is another very accurate Mil-Surp rifle. None of the rifles above cost me more than $150 each. To me, Mil-Surp absolutely rocks. Even the rifles that had mediocre barrels had a feel of something that has been there, done that.

To each, his own. If you are into Mil-Surp, great. If not, also great. If not, please don't buy a Mil-Surp gun and try to turn it into what it is not. Sure, there are plenty of Mosin's out there and if you are going to have some fun building something, that's not a bad starting point. But, please don't mess up the rare rifles of pistols. If you do find a pristine, rare SA stamped Swedish Mauser, please don't cut the barrel and attach a quad rail to the stock with wood screws. Please don't replace the butt stock with a collapsable AR stock or drill the receiver for an Eotech. It will never be an AR, AK or any other modern weapon. Enjoy it for what it is or pass it along to someone who will.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    You could add Glock's to your collection since they were originally made for the Austrian army. Just trying to promote Glock ownership ;)

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    To each, his own. If you are into Mil-Surp, great. If not, also great. If not, please don't buy a Mil-Surp gun and try to turn it into what it is not. Sure, there are plenty of Mosin's out there and if you are going to have some fun building something, that's not a bad starting point. But, please don't mess up the rare rifles of pistols. If you do find a pristine, rare SA stamped Swedish Mauser, please don't cut the barrel and attach a quad rail to the stock with wood screws. Please don't replace the butt stock with a collapsable AR stock or drill the receiver for an Eotech. It will never be an AR, AK or any other modern weapon. Enjoy it for what it is or pass it along to someone who will.

You should make this your SIG. Destroying fine guns, is like taking a great car and putting 27 inch rims, and dropping it to 2 inches off the ground. Yet some do/try. At the end of the day they are what they are, don't try and make it something it's not. Great post by you sir.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    If not, please don't buy a Mil-Surp gun and try to turn it into what it is not. Sure, there are plenty of Mosin's out there and if you are going to have some fun building something, that's not a bad starting point. But, please don't mess up the rare rifles of pistols. If you do find a pristine, rare SA stamped Swedish Mauser, please don't cut the barrel and attach a quad rail to the stock with wood screws. Please don't replace the butt stock with a collapsable AR stock or drill the receiver for an Eotech. It will never be an AR, AK or any other modern weapon. Enjoy it for what it is or pass it along to someone who will.
    While my gut lurches every time I see an SKS sporting an AK mag that isn't an SKS-D or a Mosin Nagant in some Tacticool monstrosity that some inbred Bubba invented. I say as long as you keep the old stuff and don't make anything permanent so that the next owner, face it folks we all die, can restore it easily... then do with it what you will. Just don't expect me to hit the "Rep" button when you show it off. :abused: As long as each owner keeps all the original stuff with the rifle or handgun, it's all god in my eyes.

Each of us, as the owner of said weapons, has every right to change it to suit. They even have every right to make it permanent so let's not think I am telling you that you cannot do it, sure you can. I am asking you to have some respect for the history these weapons, for all those who went before you to keep available the way to make it revert to its original form. This allows each person along the line to make the choice you made when you bubbafied it :) (sorry, that slipped out.)

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    While my gut lurches every time I see an SKS sporting an AK mag that isn't an SKS-D or a Mosin Nagant in some Tacticool monstrosity that some inbred Bubba invented. I say as long as you keep the old stuff and don't make anything permanent so that the next owner, face it folks we all die, can restore it easily... then do with it what you will. Just don't expect me to hit the "Rep" button when you show it off. :abused: As long as each owner keeps all the original stuff with the rifle or handgun, it's all god in my eyes.

Each of us, as the owner of said weapons, has every right to change it to suit. They even have every right to make it permanent so let's not think I am telling you that you cannot do it, sure you can. I am asking you to have some respect for the history these weapons, for all those who went before you to keep available the way to make it revert to its original form. This allows each person along the line to make the choice you made when you bubbafied it :) (sorry, that slipped out.)

Hey I'm a Libertarian, I'm all for rights. Of course we have the right to make a mall ninja Mauser. But we also all have the right to point and laugh.:p

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I did say I would point and laugh. Well I said don't look to me for support which is like saying I am for sure gonna call you Bubba. :):

Fair enough.....Now I'm thing about a mall ninja Mauser.....hmmmmmmm sounds like a good idea. Ok not a "good" idea, but an idea. Ok it's a bad idea, but maybe a fun one.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am a collector of firearms, many are somewhat modern like my Colt Anaconda, Colt Double Eagle, Colt King Cobra, Rem 700, Winchester 30-30, AR15, LR-308 and several others. But my son and I also collect Military firearms - all countries. I have a few Mosins - from a 1891 model to 91/30's. Also have a Russian SVD-40, several Mausers - German, Swedish, Turkish etc. English Enfield, Swiss K31. We also have 3 Garand's, M1 Carbine, 1903 A3, AK's, SK's, Nagants, TTC's etc. I find it ridiculous when people say Mil surplus are not accurate. Are they the same as a $3,000 ~ $5,000 - match grade rifle made for competition? NOPE, but some are closer then most would believe.

There are many military graveyards that will attest to the ability of these weapons! Most very accurate match quality firearms would not even function in the conditions the Military grade firearms were routinely used and they performed their purpose well. I saw a television show a few weeks ago (one of the Alaskan reality series) where a native Alaskan Lady was using a Mosin to hunt - shot a caribou at what appeared to be at least 200 yards. As others have said Military surplus are not for everyone. "Plastic" guns are not for me! I know they are reliable, light and less expensive then the metal guns - but I don't like them! I don't disparage anyone else for liking them, carrying them and using them - just that I am old fashioned and like metal and wood.

To each his own, glad everyone don't like the Military Surplus, I couldn't afford to own as many as I do if they did! (and the ammo price would go up)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some of the finest rifles I own are mil-surplus. One, a 1914 Swedish Mauser, is THE most accurate rifle I've ever shot. I hope to some day due it justice by building skill with it. Another is a 1943 Finnish Mosin that is also far more accurate than I am. I've had other Mosins that were just Ok in accuracy but this one stands above them. My oldest son has an M91 Mosin built by Westinghouse. It was built for the Imperial Russian Army, and at some point ended up in the Finnish Army. That is another very accurate Mil-Surp rifle. None of the rifles above cost me more than $150 each. To me, Mil-Surp absolutely rocks. Even the rifles that had mediocre barrels had a feel of something that has been there, done that.

Tried to Rep you but have to spread it around (many Rep-worthy posts in this thread!). Nearly all my guns are older than me, and many are old enough to be a grandparent to me. :): I have a 1903 Swedish Mauser that is scary accurate. I rarely get the chance to shoot past 100 yards, but when I took it up to Hillside near Ft. Wayne, I rang steel on the first shot with it at 400 yards with iron sights. Not bad for a 110 year old gun and 53 year old eyes. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am a collector of firearms, many are somewhat modern like my Colt Anaconda, Colt Double Eagle, Colt King Cobra, Rem 700, Winchester 30-30, AR15, LR-308 and several others. But my son and I also collect Military firearms - all countries. I have a few Mosins - from a 1891 model to 91/30's. Also have a Russian SVD-40, several Mausers - German, Swedish, Turkish etc. English Enfield, Swiss K31. We also have 3 Garand's, M1 Carbine, 1903 A3, AK's, SK's, Nagants, TTC's etc. I find it ridiculous when people say Mil surplus are not accurate. Are they the same as a $3,000 ~ $5,000 - match grade rifle made for competition? NOPE, but some are closer then most would believe.

There are many military graveyards that will attest to the ability of these weapons! Most very accurate match quality firearms would not even function in the conditions the Military grade firearms were routinely used and they performed their purpose well. I saw a television show a few weeks ago (one of the Alaskan reality series) where a native Alaskan Lady was using a Mosin to hunt - shot a caribou at what appeared to be at least 200 yards. As others have said Military surplus are not for everyone. "Plastic" guns are not for me! I know they are reliable, light and less expensive then the metal guns - but I don't like them! I don't disparage anyone else for liking them, carrying them and using them - just that I am old fashioned and like metal and wood.

To each his own, glad everyone don't like the Military Surplus, I couldn't afford to own as many as I do if they did! (and the ammo price would go up)
    I'm the same way Larry. Just something about wood and steel and the history of these old guns that makes my heart go pitter patter. :wwub:

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    I also collect firearms and have the same sentiments as LarryC & DoggyDaddy about firearms. My collection is about 50/50 on military
    surplus and modern. My problem with the surplus is they are scarce in original configuration and I dont mean with matching numbers
    I never see a lot of Mixmasters at the shows I go to, but I keep on looking and ever now and then find one.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    i dont find mosins or mausers to recoil all that much, mine ain't no f class rifle but my mosin shoots two moa with surplus and thats plenty enough for now.

I've never understood those that say they recoil a bunch. Either they're tiny lil guys or they've never shot anything with real recoil.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I never found the recoil to be an issue either. If you have experience with long guns it's manageable. When you look at the price, for what it can do, and what you can do with the recoil is something I can live with.

Personally I like recoil of both my Mauser and My Mosin. And as far as accuracy I will let you all judge how accurate my Mosin is after Modifying it like the Soviets did to increase accuracy. Here is my 200 yrd target with my 1932 "Izzy"

I do not get the chance to practice much so someone else may have been able to do better. Judge for yourself the accuracy.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Oh and I did a little shooting with my SKS at about 75 yrds, and I did not think it was too bad either since i was in the process of sighting in my red dot I recently placed on top

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just seeing what this guy is holding in his hands makes me cry and I can't watch the video.

I expect to see Sarah McLaughlin telling me how hundreds of Milsurp rifles are abused each day. How can I help?

Last edited:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I love my Mosin's and would not trade them for anything.

I hate my mosin and would trade it for $125 -or- credit towards a crossbow -or- credit towards a new road bike -or- just about anything else.
    It doesn't make me "right" or you "wrong." We just all have different opinions of things. Look at it this way, the more people not buying surplus means more inventory for you at better prices!

Top Bottom