• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Do any of you guys want to attend our Mosin shoot this Summer at Edwardburg Conservation Club. It's very close to South Bend. Had one last year and only got one non-local person. We still had a good time. My club is asking if I want to do it again, and if I do, I will need to set a date soon.

All Mosins (sporters, originals, etc) as well as milsurp and handloads would be welcome. Might even have a display of different Mosins in the clubhouse if that is of interest.

Need to decide if I'm going to do it again.

Anyone interested? Probably in July.

Les

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If I can get mine to work, I would be interested. I have to find out why it won't extract a spent casing.

I am going to rent a reamer this winter and try to "clean" it up. There might be a burr in the chamber.

If that works, I'll come.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    If I can get mine to work, I would be interested. I have to find out why it won't extract a spent casing.

I am going to rent a reamer this winter and try to "clean" it up. There might be a burr in the chamber.

Have you tried the ole 'chuck a cleaning rod with a .45 cal bronze brush in a drill and give it a spin with solvent' trick? Could be some 50 y/o crud in there.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Have you tried the ole 'chuck a cleaning rod with a .45 cal bronze brush in a drill and give it a spin with solvent' trick? Could be some 50 y/o crud in there.

Yup, several times. Even used a polish. I took apart the bolt two, boiled the parts, flitzed them and lubed it up real well. The bolt cycles fine...until you send a round downrange. Then you have to jump on the bolt to get it to extract the casing. And there are two gouges out of the side of the casing.

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Sounds like it could be some fun but I would like to know a bit more of what all you do there for the Mosin shoot. I'm about an hour and a half away so not a bad drive.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Sounds like it could be some fun but I would like to know a bit more of what all you do there for the Mosin shoot. I'm about an hour and a half away so not a bad drive.

Here's what we did last year. Had about 10 shooters. Hopefully something for everyone. Can change things this year, but this is what we did for the first one. It kept us busy most of the day, but we were pretty low key/relaxed and was taking time to try to help different people with their rifles. We even waited for one guy to go buy some allen wrenches to tighten his scope mount.

If anyone has ideas of what would be fun, I would like to hear them. Can't shoot metal or glass at our range.

http://sppsoc.freeshell.org/lmyer/match.htm

The women from the club fixed a lunch (optional) for us in the clubhouse.

At the end we also volleyed 5 shots from all participants into one watermelon.

Last edited:

jeepfreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    I'm a noob and have never done any type of organized shooting but sounds like it would be fun.

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I think it would be fun. My father-in-law got all of us boys (his son and two son in laws) mosins for christmas two years ago. Would his Dragunov be welcome? After all, it does shoot 7.62X54R!!

Probably not fair to the other Mosin shooters for the actual competition, since it's not a Mosin and is a more modern-design sniper rifle - but I don't see why he couldn't shoot with us with no entry fee (as an exhibition - no money) if he so desires. We're going to allow sporters, but gotta draw the line somewhere with the target rifles. It sounds like he has other Mosins he could shoot in the non-scoped events (or even in the scoped events). As far as I'm concerned you can enter as many rifles as you care to shoot in each event - I'll make sure you get a chance to shoot all you want. I have a 44 Tikka 91/30 and handloads that might just give him a run for his money, depending on how well he has his rifle sorted out. I for one would like to see his rifle in action.

Les

Last edited:

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Sounds like a fair amount of interest (more this time than last year). I'm going to go ahead and propose it to my club at the monthly meeting tomorrow night.

Les

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    I'll be separating from service and moving back home next summer but if the time is right and I'm free I'll make an appearance. Gives me an excuse to buy a Mosin too. :P

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Have you tried the ammo in other Mosins to see how they handle it? I have some really old (1946) heavy ball ammo that locks up some of my guns. I do have a couple of carbines that seem to tolerate it. If your ammo is really old, your cases may have swelled or weakened such that they expand in the chamber more than they should when fired. That's what seems to be the case with my heavy ball.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    We just got a 1937 Tula last week, cleaned off all the cosmoline -shot about 60 rounds over the weekend. Had a blast (sorry), so count us in. Thanks for asking, we've shot trap at your club, good folks. Keep us posted.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Have you tried the ammo in other Mosins to see how they handle it? I have some really old (1946) heavy ball ammo that locks up some of my guns. I do have a couple of carbines that seem to tolerate it. If your ammo is really old, your cases may have swelled or weakened such that they expand in the chamber more than they should when fired. That's what seems to be the case with my heavy ball.

It's new Wolf ammo.

Yes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    It's new Wolf ammo.

Does the ammo have a lacquer coating on the casing? If it gets hot, it can act like a glue in the chamber. I've heard that ammo is only good for slow rates of fire. But I am in no way an expert. Good luck sorting it out.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Does the ammo have a lacquer coating on the casing? If it gets hot, it can act like a glue in the chamber. I've heard that ammo is only good for slow rates of fire. But I am in no way an expert. Good luck sorting it out.

Thanks. Not sure if it's coated, but it definitely is slow rate of fire. I fire it once, then out comes the rubber mallet or my foot to pull the bolt back to eject the casing!:)

Then it's back home to try another "fix"...

Top Bottom