• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So I am the market for a 20 gauge shotgun ( Henry are you perhaps listening) we have an 870 express which is ok, the front sight has fallen off. The concern is it’s a 20 inch barrel not exactly handy by any means.

I have been doing some research and it seems perhaps at the same price point the Mossberg may have better components ? Also I prefer the safety on the mossberg as well.

Does one really outperform the other?

Thanks

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Depends on what time frame you get it from. I think an old but gently used REM Wingmaster would win. I have not heard good things about the new Remington.

Reactions: Leo

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ive had 870s and 1100s going back to the 70s. A dozen or so of each.
    Had a couple.Mossbergs too.

My current do all is an 870 express supermag turkey model. Its been a champ.

If i was forced to use a smoothbore shotgun for deer, then Id pick a Mossberg 500.

If i needed a top tang gun for lefty and righty usage Id get a Browning BPS. Rather liked my Upland Special 20.....but prefer the 870 Special Field.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    HD or 3 gun, I got a Stoeger M3000 to try
    Has larger opening for easier mag loads
    Trigger sucked, so had to change springs. Recoil pad sucked and stock too long, so changed those.
    Have yet to do a burndown to see if trustworthy.

My clunky 870 Express has been fine for the few hundred rounds its shot.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 and I still have it. I have several now between 500's, 835's, a 930 SPX and a 935 Magnum. I have had an 870 and an 1187, both during the 90's and early 2000's and they were solid guns. I just keep going back to Mossbergs.
    I also have a H&R Pardner and it's a solid shotgun for a Chineseum shotty and accepts most parts for an 870.
    As said above, an older 870 will be a solid shotgun.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just my opinion. Mossberg makes a solid workhorse in the Mossberg 500 they are great shotguns. However, it cannot hold a candle to the Remington Wingmaster.It is legendary. Now understand I am talking pump gun VS pump gun, 20 gauge VS 20 Gauge. Again...just my opinion. :twocents:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Started my shooting life with a Mossberg 500.
    It worked, and worked well, so I never looked any further.
    I own several other shotguns, but oddly enough, no Remington.
    I have nothing against Remington, just never bought one of their shotguns.

Reactions: Leo

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Both shotguns are great guns. But there is something about an older beautifully blued 30” vent rib barrel Remington 870 Wingmaster that I just love. :rockwoot:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Depending on the OP's application, Benelli pumps are not overly $$. Just purchased a Supernova and so far it seems like a good decision. It's a 12ga, 26" (perhaps too long for your intended purpose) and I think you need to drop to a Nova for 20ga. Racking is a little long but it's a smooth action. Trigger is a smidge heavy but also smooth and not gritty. Planning to add a tube extension at some point. Oh, and it has a FO front sight with a bead in the middle to line you up.

Seems these monsters can take a beating like they owe you money. The Italians know how to make shotties.

YMMV of course. But consider me a happy owner and I'm not a shotgun fan. I'm admittedly old-fashioned and would like this more if it had wood furniture like you can get with Moss and Rem. Though synthetic has its place too. Sample pic below, as threads without pics... well, boo.

Screenshot_20230721_130552_Samsung Internet.jpg

screenshot_20230721_130552_samsung-internet-jpg.288729

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mossbergs are alloy receiver and as such, are thicker wristed.
    I personally HATE a thick wristed shotgun.
    Only tolerable when shooting em like a rifle.

Had at least three 500s and one 835.

IMHO Mossberg excelled when it came to smoothbore slug shooting.
    Clunky rigs that shot well.

When Big Green came out w rifled bores..........bye bye Mossberg.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Not a shotgun guy, but have had a few, I like the 870's the best, the action seems smoother that the Mossbergs, but that might just be me. If the 870 had the tang mounted safety, it would be dang near perfect......

Reactions: wcd

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not a shotgun guy, but have had a few, I like the 870's the best, the action seems smoother that the Mossbergs, but that might just be me. If the 870 had the tang mounted safety, it would be dang near perfect......
    Have seen pics of custom tang safety conversions.
    Days gone by, dunno who made em.

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    I haven't had much experience with the new 870s since the dissolving of the previous Remington. Ultimately I think mossbergs are what I would've leaned towards, at least over the past 15 or so years. The pre-ISS (J-lock) Remingtons I found to be of better quality. Something about the mossberg rattle just gets to me, but they do work. Have you considered buying a new barrel for the 870 express? they can be had for much less than a new shotgun. I do agree with Hopper, if you dont mind the polymer, have a look at the nova which are very solid guns.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I am with Hookeye on this one. For the price point I would go with a Browning BPS and not look back.

I have owned all of them and the Moss will flush the game for you just by shaking it like a rattle.

Remington has two strikes in my eyes. One is the recent offerings are crap and the second is the 870 was the first shotgun that came out not because it was an improvement but just because it was cheaper to produce. It, single handedly, is the reason that all the best offerings in shotguns are not being made today. It's price, for example, caused Winchester to stop the model 12 and everyone else followed suit with punched out metal parts and tolerances you could pass a .22 through.

Now I know the 870 is the best selling shotgun of all time and as I said, I have owned a few. But if you wonder what the shotgun world would be like if someone hadn't cut everyone's financial throats, then a Browning may be the gun for you.

It is made off an old patent by John Moses Browning that he sold to Remington back in the day. It is a gun Remington use to make like they made it back when machining wasn't considered a 'no go' by investors. Give one a try, the 20 is near perfect...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have a early 590 with ghost rings that I used to kill deer with when hunting back at home. I bought both of my sons 1187 3" 20 ga, true youth models a dozen years or so ago. They came with adj butstock and a short 20 or 21" barrel. A whole lot more comfortable that a pump.

Top Bottom