• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    While Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 Express are competitors, I always considered Remington the better product, w/ Mossberg as the "value" play. IMO there is less distinction between them now than in the past, as Remington has slid in quality some.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It's a Chevy vs. Ford thing. I lean towards Remington because it is the one that I have the most trigger time with. The Benelli Nova ia also a good pump. There are no bad choices here.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've never been a huge fan of Mossberg shotguns but even though the actions are a bit rough and the safety location is less than ideal, I still see it as an upgrade over the 870. I'm not sure there is a more overrated firearm than the 870. The BPS, Nova, and Winchester 1200 and 1300s are all upgrades over both, IMO.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My 700 bolt gun doesn't always eject either, unless I slow roll it. So I guess it goes in the suck column along with Kimber and Dan Wesson.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Has the OP ever started the intended use?

Older 870's are probably a step above the Mossbergs. Especially if you're talking about looks in addition to function. The older Remington's had some decent wood stocks and nice checkering. The Mossbergs have wood, well I've seen comparable wood on a Red Ryder.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Mossberg also makes the Maverick 88. Available in 12 or 20 gauge. Less money and very reliable. Lighter weight and inter-changable barrels with the 500 series. I own a couple of them (one of them sleeps by my bed 24/7) and they have never let me down. Granted, they are not the prettiest girl at the dance, but I am not the homecoming king either. Do wish they had a thumb tang safety though.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My j lock 870 Express Supermagnum turkey gun (23" vent rib ) is my do all 12 ga.

Paid 215 bucks for it used like new yrs ago

It been a champ.

870 Special Fields are getting pricey ( esp in 20 ga ). When they hit half the price of a Citori I said screw it and just got the Citori

And im content w it as my sporting 20.

Top Bottom