• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Remington 870 or 1187, in 12 or 20, is the easy answer.

The question gets much harder if you say, "one caliber, no shotgun." It would have to be something deer legal that could still, in a pinch, be used to take bunnies and squirrels without completely destroying them. Maybe a .300 blkt?

answer: .22 hornet

The answer is a lot easier if you reload the cartridges - can load heavy, study constructed bullets for deer, low power loads for small game.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like a rig for a specific purpose.
    Deer gun. Bird gun. Varmint gun. Small game gun.
    My TC Contender has weighted stock, cheek piece added.........it fits like a glove.
    Don't remember cocking the hammer, shot was done in a hurry after a little jog. Gun was up, on deer shoulder and solid when it went off.
    Hit where aimed.

If one wants to peel camo tape off (I hated doing that to shiny 1100 Mag) after hunting season, or swap scope mounts and cheek risers on stuff....so be it. Indeed such accessories can make one rig do good service across a variety of conditions.

But will it be optimal in each config? I hated the Beartooth comb kit, or shell holders on the stock. For scope mounting on deer shotguns, I prefer the receivers drilled and tapped. Set it and forget it.

With rifles popular, a good used deer gun should be at bargain price after X mas (when bills come due).

I might buy an old deer shotgun just to keep as a loaner/backup rig.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Most of us had only one gun once upon a time, unless blessed with hand me downs. Mine was a bolt action 12 ga w/poly choke. Did nothing well, did everything "OK"

Top Bottom