• Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Kirk,

I understand his issue. I don't share the level of concern, necessarily, but I do get the quandary. In IC 35-41-3-2, the word "reasonable" and the related term "reasonably" both factor into the consideration as "weasel words", that is, it doesn't matter what you thought, it only matters what the jury thinks you should have thought, as proven by that wonderful legal fiction, the "reasonable, prudent man" of equivalent experience, etc., etc., as to what level of force was reasonable and/or whether the belief you had as to the threat level was reasonable. Obviously, such things as disparity of force, inter alia (see what I did there? :):) figure in, but with a not-demonstrably-armed person (race, religion, gender, etc. notwithstanding) I can see how that perp being "unarmed" could (would?) be used by the prosecution to show that the defendant acted with malice aforethought/went into a killing rage/was just looking for an excuse to fire that gun of his/hers/yadda yadda yadda.

Now obviously, you know all this. Most of us do. My question is, how can this not play into a media circus w/r/t political goals, jury composition, etc., and not be of concern/confusion to the poster to whom you responded?

Blessings,
    Bill

I think you are miscalculating what any African-Americans or Muslims (of whatever race) would view this.

Don't let the Media and those who use race to further political goals confuse you. What is described here is a textbook case of self-defense/defense of others, regardless of the composition of the jury.

Whether Lake County or Washington County, this is clearly a justifiable deadly force scenario.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    My safety and that of my loved ones is always my first priority. That said, if a dude walks into a restaurant with a machete and starts swingin, and my peeps are not in immediate danger, I'd choot him. :dunno:

I don't care what color he is.

I do find it interesting that when cops confronted the dude, they first tasered him. They knew, that at the very least, he had just committed attempted murder. Not second guessing them, just find it odd that when confronting someone who has demonstrated the will to carry out that kind of violence, they would go less than lethal.

I guess I would hope for reaction more along these lines;)...

[video=youtube;anEuw8F8cpE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEuw8F8cpE[/video]

They'd get slaughtered in the media and on social media for not using less than lethal methods first.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My question is, how can this not play into a media circus w/r/t political goals, jury composition, etc., and not be of concern/confusion to the poster to whom you responded?

The Media is the Media. Do not mistake the cultural smog for the culture.

Once one starts talk to prospective jurors of whatever race, ethnicity, religion, even SES, one finds that all people have the same goals in life. Not being chopped up while having lamb stew is a common goal no matter your race, religion, national origin, etc.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The Media is the Media. Do not mistake the cultural smog for the culture.

Once one starts talk to prospective jurors of whatever race, ethnicity, religion, even SES, one finds that all people have the same goals in life. Not being chopped up while having lamb stew is a common goal no matter your race, religion, national origin, etc.

Quite true. My worry in that setting is a jury who believes "he was just getting his life together", "he sang in the church choir on Sundays", and the ever-popular, "he was a good boy!", all of which lines are delivered amidst tears. I see ad spots for "Law and Order", where a man says his child is dead and he wants justice; we all know he doesn't want justice, he wants revenge, which he sees as justice. Admittedly, the latter is only a TV show, but what, after all, is the media? For that matter, how do we hear the former tear-laden lines? TV, of course. I worry that a jury will buy in to the brainwashing and hear the "news" stories prior to being impaneled, and voir dire won't catch everything. These are not frivolous worries, I think.

What a shame.
    I thought he was talking about getting a bigger flag.

Perhaps someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse... Close the business and keep your life. :dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My worry in that setting is a jury who believes "he was just getting his life together", "he sang in the church choir on Sundays", and the ever-popular, "he was a good boy!", all of which lines are delivered amidst tears.

He is chopping up people with a large knife.

Anyone who burns down someone chopping up someone with a large knife has a very strong defense from every corner of this state. If the jury pool from from Hobart or Homecraft or Haughville or Hammond, I cannot conceive a jury condoning this behavior.

Now, if HTV or pot or something victimless, maybe. I had a jury acquit a wrestler from Purdue. He was moving and had a pistol under his seat without a license. The cops were very fair, even went to their code books to look it up and ask if he had a license from Alaska or any other state. Jury walked him in 30 minutes and then a couple women on the jury hugged him. No victim and perfect scenario for "he was a nice boy on a scholarship at Purdue".

Cutting up people with a knife? No way the kind of people that show up for jury duty will permit this.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He is chopping up people with a large knife.

Anyone who burns down someone chopping up someone with a large knife has a very strong defense from every corner of this state. If the jury pool from from Hobart or Homecraft or Haughville or Hammond, I cannot conceive a jury condoning this behavior.

Now, if HTV or pot or something victimless, maybe. I had a jury acquit a wrestler from Purdue. He was moving and had a pistol under his seat without a license. The cops were very fair, even went to their code books to look it up and ask if he had a license from Alaska or any other state. Jury walked him in 30 minutes and then a couple women on the jury hugged him. No victim and perfect scenario for "he was a nice boy on a scholarship at Purdue".

Cutting up people with a knife? No way the kind of people that show up for jury duty will permit this.

How long ago was this? What were his charges, and how was the firearm discovered? I think you kinda hinted that he had some sort of illegal substance on his person. Oh, and was he convicted of anything?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

What a shame.
    I thought he was talking about getting a bigger flag.

Quite true. My worry in that setting is a jury who believes "he was just getting his life together", "he sang in the church choir on Sundays", and the ever-popular, "he was a good boy!", all of which lines are delivered amidst tears. I see ad spots for "Law and Order", where a man says his child is dead and he wants justice; we all know he doesn't want justice, he wants revenge, which he sees as justice. Admittedly, the latter is only a TV show, but what, after all, is the media? For that matter, how do we hear the former tear-laden lines? TV, of course. I worry that a jury will buy in to the brainwashing and hear the "news" stories prior to being impaneled, and voir dire won't catch everything. These are not frivolous worries, I think.

Perhaps someone made him an offer he couldn't refuse... Close the business and keep your life. :dunno:

He's going back to Israel, which is becoming increasingly more common; especially in Europe.

Looks like the story was updated:
    UPDATE: Hany Baransi is now saying the store will be closed, but vows to reopen:

//

To our dear friends and family:We are sorry but the restaurant will be closing for a short time. We need more time to...
    Posted by Nazareth Restaurant & Deli on Friday, February 19, 2016

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How long ago was this? What were his charges, and how was the firearm discovered? I think you kinda hinted that he had some sort of illegal substance on his person. Oh, and was he convicted of anything?

15 years ago.

Carrying a Handgun without a License.

He told the cops (WLPD) about it.

No dope. He was squeaky clean. Non-drinker because of added calories (being a wrestler and all, first guy I knew that was doing the paleo/Atkins thing, no bread at all).

He was acquitted of the one and only count of misdemeanor CHWOL.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    15 years ago.

Carrying a Handgun without a License.

He told the cops (WLPD) about it.

No dope. He was squeaky clean. Non-drinker because of added calories (being a wrestler and all, first guy I knew that was doing the paleo/Atkins thing, no bread at all).

He was acquitted of the one and only count of misdemeanor CHWOL.

Was that before the transporting a firearm law? He was moving so he should've been good, right?

Top Bottom