• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I recieved a email from a good friend , he said he found 6 small mushrooms yesterday just North East of Bloomington.
    So they are up and should really be coming on if this weather holds:)

WoodWizard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Schroomin should be gettin good down in IU land, getting ready for later this week as the T/storms are comin early.
    Check out the Mushroom sticks in the classifieds, posted by my son Phil.

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    I hit the woods with my grandma, my brother and his friend yesterday. We found these beasts a little south of Linton in western Greene County.

shrooms2-1.jpg

My grandma was about three or four feet behind me and said to watch out I was about to step on one. That one was the little guy on the left end.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Buddy of mine said they have got 40 today and 40 on sunday. I am heading that way this weekend. Last year we found over 100lbs of them. I hope to do that this year also.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    On a side note, I was always taught to pinch them off at the ground, as opposed to pulling them up. The idea was that more might grow in the same area around it. Anyone else heard this???

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    On a side note, I was always taught to pinch them off at the ground, as opposed to pulling them up. The idea was that more might grow in the same area around it. Anyone else heard this???
    I was going to mention this as well. I found some fat ones last year & pulled them out root & all & an ol timer buddy of mine chewed my ass (oops can i say that ):dunno: something like it leaves spores in the ground for next year

Last edited:

jayincville

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I was going to mention this as well. I found some fat ones last year & pulled them out root & all & an ol timer buddy of mine chewed my ass (oops can i say that ):dunno: something like it leaves spores in the ground for next year

The fungus is growing like a net in the ground. The mushroom is the fruit of the fungus. You wouldn't break off the branch of an apple tree in order to pick an apple, would you?

phil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    You should also throw one back. I always break up and toss my first find each time. It also helps to spread the spores.

zekedageek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomington
    First Morel of 2010 - Monroe co.

Posted this over on another mushroom thread .. here it is again.

First morel of the year, shown with Hornady Critical Defense 9mm for sizing.

picture.php

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    They are just starting to come up in Pike county in the spoil banks. I never yank them out of the ground either. I try to leave whats under ground. I also always use a mesh type bag to hold them in. I never use a plastic bag.

Last edited:

zekedageek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomington
    Found another mess of 'em last night! No pics, forgot the memory card at home.. Some were of good size. There were several tiny ones, two of which when placed side by side could barely cover a dime. Can't believe I even found 'em! ... Going back tonight!

Buckhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Shelby Co
    I have a buddy that always finds them in his front yard. He showed me that if you put a mason jar over the shrooms that it makes a greenhouse effect and traps in the moisture and they will grow much bigger. Need a lot of mason jars though.

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    S390236-Q4700
    Found another mess of 'em last night! No pics, forgot the memory card at home.. Some were of good size. There were several tiny ones, two of which when placed side by side could barely cover a dime. Can't believe I even found 'em! ... Going back tonight!

Should have left the little ones for next time. Maybe I will try that mason jar thing. I have a bunch of them laying around in the garage.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    more good/bad pics

Great post op, here is more with credit to the legend of Indiana outdoors whom I admired, the late Bayou Bill Scrifes, the King of Indiana shroomin!
    GOOD MOREL
    jsygt3.jpg

FALSE MOREL
    dwdfzc.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom