• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A 1971, 30-30 Winchester Model 94. It's not as pretty as it once was, but I haven't seen it since 1983. It was hidden in a closet for years after my father had a stroke. He never pulled out his guns after he got sick. After he died in 1992, I asked my mother about his rifle and nickle-plated Ruger, but she had no idea what happened to them. I figured my older brother had taken them and either pawned them or sold them. After talking to him some years later, he promised me that he hadn't touched them. So, I asked my nephews and sisters who I thought he may have given them to. Still no luck, so I gave up.

About it two years ago, I was talking to a cousin on my mother's side about the guns and he told me that my father gave the rifle to him. In that moment, I was angry and hurt at the same time. I mean, how could he give his rifle to someone with absolutely no connection? I didn't feel right about it, but I asked my cousin if he used it. He told me that he had not ever shot it and it was sitting in a chest at his house. I felt the reins being pulled and believed God was telling me to stop talking. A few minutes later, my cousin said, "You can have it if you want it." Before I could inhale a breath to respond and thanked him.

Well, two years later it is now in my possession and I will find a place to restore it for me. Here are some pics of the beauty.

I'm still looking for the Ruger.

EB47777C-AE71-4D22-8BEA-BCA3463D3DEB_zps75huwlcd.jpg

DFF42623-F1D3-4C8D-9788-BFBF708BE90D_zpsqgq8kp7y.jpg

2386DB3C-912C-4F42-950C-D004E2FF8C7E_zps6e3dngdx.jpg

039A5AC4-B51F-4779-9108-0C3C31841175_zpsimlpns72.jpg

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah, glad for the happy ending.
    If it were mine, I'd get it in working order and call it good. That finish, man, just adds character.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Family can be funny sometimes when it comes to "stuff". I have a cousin who for several years has asked me if I wanted my Grampa's hunting rifles, to which I have said "yes", but she has yet to deliver. So indeed, really cool that your cousin was able to reunite you with a part of your past, that's fantastic. You MUST post pics of the before/after shots once you get it refinished! From the shots you have already posted, this looks like a rifle worth spending some time on.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I played withy the action last night and it was very tight and hard to move. I just sprayed some WD-40 in it and it feels wonderful. I'll dona detailed cleaning when I get home; check the barrel and head to the range.

Question: this rifle appears to eject the spent cartridges from the top, so what are my options for a scope, if any?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That gun is doable "Q"
    Mot bad at all. Appears to be all refinish work from the picks.
    Get some good gun oil down in it as WD-40 is just for getting things loosened up and not a pemenent fix.
    Nice gun. Very nice.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    She is very pretty.
    Had a buddy with a real old Win 30/30 but I got to use it all the time. That round shattered many a boar skulls that others would just ricochet off.
    I was always surprised at how thin those guns were considering all the action going on.
    Once she loosens up, she'll be smooth as silk.
    :drool:

Thanks for the [STRIKE]flashbacks[/STRIKE] memories.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    My uncle gave me an old Ithica 22 levergun, its finish is similar to yours. I like it. It looks rustic and weathered. Adds character... Congrats on the family heirloom.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Nice Que! Glad it made it back to you. :) As for mounting a scope, I believe they make a mount for top-ejectors like that and the Rossi's. It will put the scope off to the left side of the bore axis, but other than going with a scout scope/mount, that's about your only option I think. Looking forward to hearing how she shoots! :yesway:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When I saw the blueing on the receiver, that indicated it was not pre-64, so I checked the serial number ant it's a '71. So, although it was built with some of the inferior materials, it's still special to me.

[video=youtube_share;ZJnisSrfdDo]http://youtu.be/ZJnisSrfdDo[/video]

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    When I saw the blueing on the receiver, that indicated it was not pre-64, so I checked the serial number ant it's a '71. So, although it was built with some of the inferior materials, it's still special to me.

For me, it's all about the story/history. While that often comes over time, age alone does not make a keepsake like this.
    This was your father's... That's better than just being 'old'.

I have two firearms I would never sell, for any amount of money for this reason.
    They are truly irreplaceable.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom