• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    As for the "Angry and hurt" part of this, your father probably didn't even think about how much the rifle would mean to you.

I kind of have the same kind of thing going on right now. My father is still living thankfully. He gave my cousin a M1 carbine rifle that has been in our family since the end of WW II (Some sort of a bring home from the war thing). I grew up shooting that rifle and humping it all over the hills of Arkansas once I turned 14. The thing is priceless to me and a cousin I barely know has it.

My dad knows that sentimental things mean a lot to me (I think he does) Dad sent me a simple craftsman three blade stock knife while I was in the service back in 1983. For what ever reason he stenciled my name, a bible verse (He is a pastor) and "from dad Jan 1983" on the blades. I have carried this knife on me every single day since then. I even had to mail it to myself after a run in with a retarded TSA worker after she saw it in my checked in baggage. I would not take 20,000.00 for the thing. To me it is priceless. I have made it know to my wife and kids that it remains with me forever even after my death. Weird? Maybe.

My point is I think often times family members just fail to recognize what something might mean to another family member.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Get some!

Place no blame on the past, you will never know all the thoughts of those who have gone before you or how they might be different if they had a perfect view of the future. So...get some! And enjoy the history in your hands.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Rifle looks great, now you just need an awesome custom leather sling to put on it. Not that yucky looking (that's right, I'm 30 and use the term yucky) nylon strap.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Rifle looks great, now you just need an awesome custom leather sling to put on it. Not that yucky looking (that's right, I'm 30 and use the term yucky) nylon strap.

:): You know anybody who does good leather work?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, I've tried everything I could think of, but I cannot shoot this rifle well enough to be confident I can take a true sportsman's shot. I just cannot adapt to the sights. My shot placement is high and I'm constantly guessing where I need to aim, so my dream of hunting with my dad's rifle is over.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Skinner sights with a Merit adjustable aperture. It made all the difference for me. I can't get the hang of buckhorn sights.

I have that setup on both Henry's. The 45-70 and the 44mag.

Top Bottom