• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I finally went and purchased my first EBR. A beautiful Ruger SR-556fb. I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase. It runs great and brings me great joy.

Now for the story since I feel the need to share embarrassment with strangers.

I broke it down to clean. Now I usually use bore-snakes but decided to run a brass brush on a cleaning rod down the barrel. Unfortunately the brush got stuck in the flash hider. Not a little tight, solid stuck. I sat red faced next to my wife who glared at me with great sadness that this bumbling oaf was the person she had chosen to spend her life with.

I attempted to pull the brush back out and actually pulled the screw attachment off the end......sigh... So I'm thinking wonderful, I have to take my 2 day old rifle to a gunsmith to remove a brush. I ended up taking a j.Dewey cleaning rod for one of my pistols and was able to "screw" the fitting back on and tap the end with a rubber mallet to get it to clear the flash hider. After that I was able to reattach the rod and push the brush through.

Being a predominately pistol user my only rifle cleaning experience has been .22s that you cleaned from bore to receiver. From now on this idiot knows to go from the receiver end and to not reverse direction.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Is your barrel threaded? If so just remove your flash hider before cleaning next time :D

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    +1 rep'd for having the guts to admit a goof up...minor tho it may be! Congrats on the new rifle!!!, I want one of those ,but it ain't in the budget!

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    You are not alone at all. Yesterday I realized I didn't know how to lock open the bolt on my 10/22 at the range. The range officer was nice enough to point that out to me in front of everyone. I felt like an idiot and should have read up on that beforehand, as he also mentioned to me. Jealous that you even own an AR, all I can do is dream about them.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i took a gun apart one time and couldnt get it back together for three days, i still struggle with it, but i can usually get back together in a day now.

we all have our S-mart times............

jake

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Use a pull through method instead. Take the section of cleaning rod with your T handle off, drop the entire length of rod into the barrel from the chamber side, reattach your t handle (or not, I never do), and pull the brush through. About the only time I PUSH a cleaning rod through is when I am using a jag. Believe it or not, cleaning rods, especially .22 caliber rods, are meant to be pulled, not pushed.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    You should be ashamed of yourself.

Now get out there and spread the EBR virus.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    The first time I cleaned my Mark III pistol, I jammed the magazine in backwards and it wouldn't budge. I had to send it back to Ruger to disassemble and reassemble it :rolleyes: The only good news is that it would have had to go back anyway as it needed the extractor replaced, but still...

I imagine there are lots of moments folks would rather forget!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The first time I cleaned my Mark III pistol, I jammed the magazine in backwards and it wouldn't budge. I had to send it back to Ruger to disassemble and reassemble it :rolleyes: The only good news is that it would have had to go back anyway as it needed the extractor replaced, but still...

I imagine there are lots of moments folks would rather forget!

WOW! That seems like it would take some work.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Agreed!! Bore snakes are the shiznit (yeah thats a word)!! I have one for my .22lr and my Mosin. They work great.

futureofwar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bunker Hill
    Try being in the army and getting the wrong brush stuck in an M16 and having to tell the man who is going to smoke you for a half hour for it . . . no not me LOL

Top Bottom