• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    I understand why you don't carry with one in the chamber and thats totally your choice, When I carry and am with my son, I get a little weary about keeping one in the chamber but the way I have ok'd it with myself is that what if Im holding him, and someone pulls a gun on me, first Id have to protect him by making myself his cover and then rack a round and shoot the BG might not be lucky enough to have the time to do that, So now I always keep one ready just in case. But i respect your choice and carried like that for awhile when I got my first glock, til i got used to it.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I truly appreciate your honesty, and i know i am no spetsnaz. but the practice that just about every dedicated shooter practices was origanaly designed or used by a special forces of some country, most likely ours. I was just trying to use examples of different training techniques. If we can alter our stance, and alter our grip, and how we aim. then i thought altering our technique would not be hard. I have been thinking on this subject alot lately. I think maybe i need to change my tactic. when i am in my home, i will leave the chamber empty, when i leave my home i will rack the slide before i leave. I still believe that if someone breaks in my home. I will have plenty of time to chamber. I will just have to practice and practice to keep my finger off the trigger. It is probably not the technique i am having trouble with, its all in my head. the fear i might screw up and pull the trigger accidently. I just cant seem to stop thinking about it.
    Thank you for your understanding. After i told the story, i expected some serious hate messages. I figured stupid would be the nicest thing said about me.
    the hard part is I would of had to agree with all the insults. lowest day of my life.

When push comes to shove, do what your comfortable with. If you decide to take that step, maybe start out in small increments until you are comfortable.

Always remember the 4 rules and always follow them. When I find myself faced with something I fear, I just remind myself that the Lord does not put the spirit of fear in us. Trust in Him and anything is possible.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think maybe i need to change my tactic. when i am in my home, i will leave the chamber empty, when i leave my home i will rack the slide before i leave. I still believe that if someone breaks in my home. I will have plenty of time to chamber. I will just have to practice and practice to keep my finger off the trigger.

Train how you carry. Whichever you choose is your choice, just train that way. I would not, however, carry in 2 different modes, nor would I be routinely manipulating the gun when leaving/entering my home as that is the most likely time to have an issue. Keep the weapon in the holster and to channel Kirk a bit here... "no coonfingering".

If you are still looking into chambering/unchambering, you will want to get some kind of sand bucket to point the weapon into to do this.

Get a good holster, and whatever your carry condition, practice bringing the weapon into ready position as well as reholstering, etc.

I would not want to think about whether I do or don't have a round in the chamber when I needed it, I just want to rely on muscle memory/conditioned training at that point. Whether that muscle memory is tap/rack/bang or not is up to you.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    When push comes to shove, do what your comfortable with. If you decide to take that step, maybe start out in small increments until you are comfortable.

Always remember the 4 rules and always follow them. When I find myself faced with something I fear, I just remind myself that the Lord does not put the spirit of fear in us. Trust in Him and anything is possible.
    4 Rules?

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    Train how you carry. Whichever you choose is your choice, just train that way. I would not, however, carry in 2 different modes, nor would I be routinely manipulating the gun when leaving/entering my home as that is the most likely time to have an issue. Keep the weapon in the holster and to channel Kirk a bit here... "no coonfingering".

If you are still looking into chambering/unchambering, you will want to get some kind of sand bucket to point the weapon into to do this.

Get a good holster, and whatever your carry condition, practice bringing the weapon into ready position as well as reholstering, etc.

I would not want to think about whether I do or don't have a round in the chamber when I needed it, I just want to rely on muscle memory/conditioned training at that point. Whether that muscle memory is tap/rack/bang or not is up to you.
    I truely think the problem is in my head. I dont dry fire my weapons either, so even if i believed it was empty, i still would not pull the trigger. when i do dry fire, i always check it first.
    just some reason when i know its loaded, i cant stop thinking about it. like if i stop thinking about it something bad will happen. This just might take time to go away.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    1: Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
    2: Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
    3: Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire
    4: Keep the weapon on safe until you intend to fire
    5: Know your target and what lies beyond

(Some people condense 3 and 4 down to one rule, but the above is how the military teaches it)

I have a few other things I was going to say too, but probably not about what you expect :)

1, if you get a timberwolf frame, let me know, I will buy your stock frame off of you! Please! I am trying to replace a really beat up Glock frame and don't want a timberwolf right now.

2. Duracoat is a good idea if you care about the looks of the gun, but even with the black color is rubbed off on a Glock, the metal is still safe.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    sounds good, i will let you know as soon as i get the timberwolf.
    honestly i just want a silver slide, i like two tone look. If you were going to take the black off how would you go about doing it. is there anything i need to know first. thanks

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    1: Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
    2: Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
    3: Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire
    4: Keep the weapon on safe until you intend to fire
    5: Know your target and what lies beyond

(Some people condense 3 and 4 down to one rule, but the above is how the military teaches it)

I have a few other things I was going to say too, but probably not about what you expect :)

1, if you get a timberwolf frame, let me know, I will buy your stock frame off of you! Please! I am trying to replace a really beat up Glock frame and don't want a timberwolf right now.

2. Duracoat is a good idea if you care about the looks of the gun, but even with the black color is rubbed off on a Glock, the metal is still safe.
    you know my father and uncle are Vietnam vets, we have sat around for hours talking about weapons. And for some dumb reason i have never asked about weapon safety, even though my father spent a few years as range officer at camp attaberry.(sorry dont know how to spell it.) all that talking, and apparently saying nothing. weird.

Top Bottom