• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    First off let me say I am pro gun (duh). I dont care how you carry just that you do (responsibly). Please dont start a war saying "well you should have CC" or whatever, I just wanted to share a story.

About 10 minutes ago, I went to my local gas station (village pantry in muncie near campus, but not on campus).

I walk up to the counter (first in line) and ask the guy for two packs of whatever menthol cigs are on sale (im a $1 off whore) (btw, I am pro tattoo, I have many, but this guy had tribal tattoos on his neck up his chin and around his ears, full face sh*t. Im totally cool with it, but im just sayin.)

He grabs them, then walks back, and as hes scanning them he says. "Dont you think you would scare some people walking into a gas station with that?"

I was baffled. This is my first interaction with someone giving me public criticism for carrying. (not talking about family or friend discussions about it)

I answered quickly, but it seemed like 100000 years for me to even think of any one of the thousands of defenses I have had planned for this day.

All I said was. "Well man, I carry to protect myself and others like yourself."

He said, "oh, so its an airsoft gun then"... Im sure he was joking, but I dont really understand wtf that is supposed to mean.

I responded "Yeah, its an airsoft gun, have a good one."

He was really polite, he wasnt freaking out or demanding to see an LTCH, but this experience just rattled me a bit. Thus why I feel the need to share.

I WISH I could go back and say the following.

"(What I said before, then...) Also, if I were some loony who wanted to rob you, why would I have it visible? Ive never heard of a robber who walks into a store, publicly makes his weapon visible, politely asks for something, pays for it, then leaves. Id imagine someone like that would want as much concealment for surprise as they could get."

He works at that station almost every day from noon until whenever the 2nd-3rd shift guy gets there. You can be damn sure ill have a nice conversation ready for the next time I go and get some death sticks.

By the way, this is how I am dressed today. Im using the new fobus holster I got this morning... After looking I guess I can understand, Im young, not very "professionally dressed" (my mommy got me this sweater for christmas), but I always smile, Im clean shaven, and pulled up to the station (they can see cars) in an 05 impala that I take VERY VERYYYYY good care of. Im not a scrub, if you will. :laugh:

s5znm1.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the story, any tips (aside from quitting smoking!), suggestions, comments would be appreciated other than anti-OC comments (please.)

Thanks!
    -Ed- :patriot:

Last edited:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Tip: Smoking is bad for you. :twocents:

I know :/ I really need to stop. I started smoking when I was 15 (21st birthday is april 17th). Ive tried to quit multiple times. Gum, patches, e-cigs, cold turkey, books, youtube hypnosis videos, etc.

Longest I have ever quit was 120 days. I only succeeded that long because my friends here at the time didnt smoke, it was only when I went back home to fort waste that I failed (surrounded myself with old friends that smoke). Cant blame it on anyone but myself though. Oh, and paying at the pump for gas stations, I avoided going inside all together.

Anyway, aside from anti-OC and smoking talk....

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I NEVER engage in a debate about my 2nd amendment rights. It's like debating religion - no one ever changes their mind and everyone just gets upset. I always say, "thank you" and cut off the conversation as quickly as possible.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When I started reading, I was picturing the guy in your avatar, waiting for the part where you wrung his head off of his neck and pulled his heart out. Who is that guy in the avatar?

You did all you could in the gas station.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I NEVER engage in a debate about my 2nd amendment rights. It's like debating religion - no one ever changes their mind and everyone just gets upset. I always say, "thank you" and cut off the conversation as quickly as possible.

Thats a good tip, I appreciate that (rep given :) ). No point in trying to teach someone something they arent willing to learn. However, If I am OC (rare) I want to not only project myself as a kind law abiding citizen, but show I am knowledgeable as well. If others see OC law abiding citizens that are intelligent and rational, maybe someday we will be the majority instead of the minority swimming in a sea of ignorant pro-gun-control f***tards.

One prob. might be you're wearing it on the wrong side!!! :laugh:

LOL, my laptop camera is like a mirror. Dont know why apple wasnt smart enough to flip them horizontally like normal cameras do, but whatever. IM A RIGHTY!!!

When I started reading, I was picturing the guy in your avatar, waiting for the part where you wrung his head off of his neck and pulled his heart out. Who is that guy in the avatar?

You did all you could in the gas station.

Purple is your friend!!!!! MAGGOT!

favorite quote:
    Holy Jesus! What is that? What the f**k is that? WHAT IS THAT, PRIVATE PYLE?
    Sir, a jelly doughnut, sir!
    A jelly f***ing doughnut!

Last edited:

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    If I had another holster (I carry IWB holster) I would walk in there right now, as I'm about to go to the gas station. Is this the VP in the village? I rarely go there but I think I know who you are talking about. Hard to miss a guy like that. Who would have guessed he is anti-gun?!

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    If I had another holster (I carry IWB holster) I would walk in there right now, as I'm about to go to the gas station. Is this the VP in the village? I rarely go there but I think I know who you are talking about. Hard to miss a guy like that. Who would have guessed he is anti-gun?!

Yup the very one. I know one of the guys in there, hes younger and smaller, real cool dude. The 2 ladies that work there are usually in great moods , so I always avoid them. Then there is this guy, well you cant miss him...

Kinda like this

2cicjzn.jpg

Fishtards? Like fish in leotards?? I think I saw that in the gym today. (Flounders, I think.)

do you like fish sticks?

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    He grabs them, then walks back, and as hes scanning them he says. "Dont you think you would scare some people walking into a gas station with that?"

Thanks!
    -Ed- :patriot:

First of all, relax. While I wasn't there, and didn't see how the clerk presented himself (body language, voice tone, etc.), there's nothing in his words that seem offensive to me.

I wouldn't go back just to get into a verbal thing with the guy. I mean, what do you really want to do? Convince him that you fit his stereotype? Go there as a customer (because you need some cheap cigs), not because you have something to prove. Over time, when he figures out that you're a calm, rational, responsible person (assuming you are :D), he's more likely to view gun-owners as such (as opposed to mall-ninjas, or whatever).

Aside from that, go ahead and answer his question. Not with a snappy, witty, comeback (that may not address what he's asking), but honestly ...I mean, yeah, there's no doubt that people might be afraid of a gun in a holster. But that's because when they see and/or hear about people and guns, it comes from a Hollywood movie or because some guy wants his 15 minutes of fame on CNN. They are completely unaware of the sheer number of people who safely and responsibly own and carry firearms ....which they are legally allowed to do!

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Yup the very one. I know one of the guys in there, hes younger and smaller, real cool dude. The 2 ladies that work there are usually in great moods , so I always avoid them. Then there is this guy, well you cant miss him...

Kinda like this

2cicjzn.jpg

do you like fish sticks?

I'll have to drop in this weekend and say Hi! :welcome: I have to be in Muncie to pick up a grandchildren #9 & 10 for a fun filled weekend!

Take care and don't sweat it!:draw:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    First of all, relax. While I wasn't there, and didn't see how the clerk presented himself (body language, voice tone, etc.), there's nothing in his words that seem offensive to me.

I wouldn't go back just to get into a verbal thing with the guy. I mean, what do you really want to do? Convince him that you fit his stereotype? Go there as a customer (because you need some cheap cigs), not because you have something to prove. Over time, when he figures out that you're a calm, rational, responsible person (assuming you are :D), he's more likely to view gun-owners as such (as opposed to mall-ninjas, or whatever).

Aside from that, go ahead and answer his question. Not with a snappy, witty, comeback (that may not address what he's asking), but honestly ...I mean, yeah, there's no doubt that people might be afraid of a gun in a holster. But that's because when they see and/or hear about people and guns, it comes from a Hollywood movie or because some guy wants his 15 minutes of fame on CNN. They are completely unaware of the sheer number of people who safely and responsibly own and carry firearms ....which they are legally allowed to do!

Oh I am relaxed. This wasnt meant to be a rant or anything, just wanted to share. Like I said in the original post, he wasnt rude or anything, just asking a question I felt super prepared to answer but couldnt at the time. I was saying "I wish I said" not, "im going back there in 10 minutes to go give him a piece of my mind."

Good post! Thanks.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I think some very good points are raised here. I'm a fighter by nature - and I love to fight the good fight - but I only fight fights that can be won. And convincing an anti-gun individual that they're wrong and you're right (especially in a 30-second conversation) is simply not a "win-able" fight. So I don't waste my energy.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I think some very good points are raised here. I'm a fighter by nature - and I love to fight the good fight - but I only fight fights that can be won. And convincing an anti-gun individual that they're wrong and you're right (especially in a 30-second conversation) is simply not a "win-able" fight. So I don't waste my energy.

I 100% agree man. Im a very opinionated and confrontational person, but I dont check my head at the door. If he would have said "wtf are you doing with that, let me see your license" or something, I would have responded differently. His question/statement seemed to be in more of a conversation context rather than a, heres my opinion, im looking down on you. Type thing.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Sweetened hindsight version #1 (with appropriate expressions):

"Dont you think you would scare some people walking into a gas station with that?"

What? :eek: ...my mommy got me this sweater for Christmas. :(

"Not the sweater... the gun."
    :rolleyes:

Oh, that? I doubt it. :n00b: Why, does it scare you? :dunno:

"No, it's probably just an airsoft."
    :cool:

lol :D ...hope the bad guys don't catch on. ;) Have a good day! :)

"D'oh" :facepalm:

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    (21st birthday is april 17th).

ok. i'm not sure the exact law so here's a question, i know you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun in indiana, also you must be 18 to obtain a LTCH, so carrying a handgun (with permit) is legal under 21?

edited to say, doesn't effect me, i'm 40, just curious

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ok. i'm not sure the exact law so here's a question, i know you have to be 21 to purchase a handgun in indiana, also you must be 18 to obtain a LTCH, so carrying a handgun (with permit) is legal under 21?

You must be 21 for an FFL to sell you a handgun.

You only need to be 18 for anyone else to sell you a handgun in Indiana (and most other states.)

Top Bottom