• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I was in the same predicament last year, I ended up going with a Savage in 7mm-08 over the 6.5 CM. I don't reload yet, and the ammo availability seemed better for the 7mm-08 and they are pretty much ballisticly identical with the 7mm having just a bit more energy.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If it were me, I'd get one of the higher end Remington 700's (Police, 5R, Sendero, or XCR). They say they're all made on the same line, but they sure as heck feel much better built than the SPS 700's.

Like all of the guys here have said, if you're just looking for range fun and long range accuracy, stick with something like 308 or 6.5 creedmoor. Less expensive on the brass and powder and it'll do everything the 300 WM can do for you for what you're wanting. 300 WM, you're not going to want to shoot more than a couple times. I really don't like shooting that kind of stuff at the range for fun, and it just ends up staying in the safe. If I were hunting elk or bear or something at long distances, sure, stick with the 300WM. But not for a long range rifle for shooting sports.

Hell, if you're only shooting 500 yards, 223/5.56 is capable. I'd actually prefer it. I can get a lot more practice with 223 since it recoils so light. Even with 308, I start flinching after 30 or 40 rounds withing a short time period. Move up to 300 WM.....well, it's not even fun after a couple rounds.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    If it were me, I'd get one of the higher end Remington 700's (Police, 5R, Sendero, or XCR). They say they're all made on the same line, but they sure as heck feel much better built than the SPS 700's.

Like all of the guys here have said, if you're just looking for range fun and long range accuracy, stick with something like 308 or 6.5 creedmoor. Less expensive on the brass and powder and it'll do everything the 300 WM can do for you for what you're wanting. 300 WM, you're not going to want to shoot more than a couple times. I really don't like shooting that kind of stuff at the range for fun, and it just ends up staying in the safe. If I were hunting elk or bear or something at long distances, sure, stick with the 300WM. But not for a long range rifle for shooting sports.

I really like those lines or rifles, but I don't think Remington does much for lefties, at least not in 6.5 :dunno:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    For your consideration..
    Savage Arms

That said, I agree with seedubs1 on the .223. Think about the barrel twist rate if you go that route. It is capable of killing paper, steel, and prairie dogs at 500+ yards. It will be much cheaper to shoot whether, you reload or not, easier on your shoulder, and the chambering will open more options for lefties. I do know a couple of lefties who shoot right-handed guns very well. My LRPV is "half-left-handed". Right bolt, left port. :):

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yeah. The Savage 11/111 is the only thing I'm seeing that's current. Browning shows the X-bolt, but all the lefty 6.5 Creedmoors are on the discontinued list. I've been using all the google-fu I can and can't find one anywhere. I'm thinking "FFS, if they sold out, there's obviously enough demand to keep making them!". Also saw the Rurger FTW Hunter listed for lefty's. It's a bit salty at almost $1300. The others were priced well below that, so the Ruger would have to do something really impressive. Also not sure about the "integral scope mounts". Proprietary usually means limited options and expensive.

And if anyone is curious, it's the X-bolt All Weather that really sparked my interest. A stainless barrel would be nice. (Browning item 035368282)

Last edited:

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana

Hell, if you're only shooting 500 yards, 223/5.56 is capable. I'd actually prefer it. I can get a lot more practice with 223 since it recoils so light. Even with 308, I start flinching after 30 or 40 rounds withing a short time period. Move up to 300 WM.....well, it's not even fun after a couple rounds.

Really?

I shot 78 rounds of 308 out of my-I know you think they are junk-SPS Tac today and never flinched or even felt it was too much. Hell, I would have shot more if I had more to shoot.

I totally disagreed with your assessment that the SPS line is of lower quality.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Really?

I shot 78 rounds of 308 out of my-I know you think they are junk-SPS Tac today and never flinched or even felt it was too much. Hell, I would have shot more if I had more to shoot.

Well right off the bat, I know the police, 5r, sendero, and xcr all have better stocks than the sps. So yeah, they are higher quality as-is from the factory.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Well.....you're not me. I'm skinny, bony, and recoil is strait into my shoulder bones. Not much meat there to absorb recoil for me. 40 rounds of 308 is hard on me. I feel it the next morning.

Have you handled the higher end 700's? The actions feel better in the ones I've handled than in the SPS and lower lines. And they do come with nicer barrels and stocks. I'm not saying the lower end remingtons are junk (although the stock plastic stocks in them are). They are a fine rifle to use as a platform to upgrade, and I've owned a few.

Really?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Yeah. The Savage 11/111 is the only thing I'm seeing that's current. Browning shows the X-bolt, but all the lefty 6.5 Creedmoors are on the discontinued list. I've been using all the google-fu I can and can't find one anywhere. I'm thinking "FFS, if they sold out, there's obviously enough demand to keep making them!". Also saw the Rurger FTW Hunter listed for lefty's. It's a bit salty at almost $1300. The others were priced well below that, so the Ruger would have to do something really impressive. Also not sure about the "integral scope mounts". Proprietary usually means limited options and expensive.

And if anyone is curious, it's the X-bolt All Weather that really sparked my interest. A stainless barrel would be nice. (Browning item 035368282)

Me thinks your Google-fu needs a bit more practice, Grasshopper. CDNN has a left hand Hunter and Micro Midas available currently. As someone else said above the main thing the 6.5 Creedmoor has over the 7mm-08 is that it is new and trendy. If you shop around or and are patient you will probably find the Ruger for well below $1300 and you will definitely have more options if you were to go with something other than the 6.5 Creedmoor. Also the Ruger integral scope mounts are great imo and they supply a set of rings with the rifle, however if you do not like them several companies make adapters to convert to standard bases as well.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The Micro Midas is for smaller folks. Just wouldn't work. The Lefty Hunter X-bolt isn't listed on Browning's site under current or discontinued models in a 6.5 Creedmoor. Good find!

Edit: What's on their website must be the 2016 lineup. I found their 2017 catalog on their website using the manufacturer part number from CDNN. Looks like the catalog isn't "official" yet. (http://www.browning.com/content/dam...7/notfinal/2017-browning-catalog-firearms.pdf)

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The Micro Midas is for smaller folks. Just wouldn't work. The Lefty Hunter X-bolt isn't listed on Browning's site under current or discontinued models in a 6.5 Creedmoor. Good find!

No problem, I had been shopping CDNN and looking at X-bolts lately so I knew they still had some in stock.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I haven't bought a gun from them yet but have bought accessories and mags. Everything I have seen leads me to believe that they do in fact have them in stock but a phone call will confirm that for sure.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I decided to go to Gander Mtn and coonfingered a few rifles. Only one lefty. They had the Savage Accutrigger display so you could feel it, and I was pretty impressed with it. Tirgger locks on everything, so I couldn't see what any of the others felt like. I also like the concept behind the Savage floating bolt. The Ruger M77 bolt just felt chunky. I really liked the feel of the Tikka T3, and the Browning X-bolt felt nice too. The Savage was pretty good, but I looked at a Model 16. I really haven't found a comparison between their families (10/11/16/Axis), and would like to know a little more. I also went to the ammo and no 6.5 Creedmoor at all, but tons of .300WM and .308. Loads of 7mm too. That's makes me wonder if 6.5 is really a good option.

Top Bottom