• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warrior2090

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Picking up a Savage Stealth in 6.5 Creedmoor next week. Looked at a lot of options but liked the feel of the Savage and have had outstanding results with them in the past. As far as ammo goes, I have been purchasing all I could want online. Hornady 140gr ELD was about $1.20 per round delivered. Plenty of other choices as well. Can't wait to get it set up and out to the range.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I sent an email to Savage asking what the model differences are and never heard back. Found another forum that gave some good info. The xx/xxx model differences are short/long action. The differences between the 10/11/16 are just materials used. The 16 is the stainless/synthetic. I was also told that their custom shop, if you just want a lefty and nothing else special, is easy to work with and really no price increase. They just make the most popular in lefty. But, since they make a 16 in 6.5CM right handed, a lefty should be cake. So, just gotta save now.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I sent an email to Savage asking what the model differences are and never heard back. Found another forum that gave some good info. The xx/xxx model differences are short/long action. The differences between the 10/11/16 are just materials used. The 16 is the stainless/synthetic. I was also told that their custom shop, if you just want a lefty and nothing else special, is easy to work with and really no price increase. They just make the most popular in lefty. But, since they make a 16 in 6.5CM right handed, a lefty should be cake. So, just gotta save now.

:yesway:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

You can also have a custom rifle built through ER Shaw for a very reasonable price if you can't find the caliber and configuration combo you want in a left hand model. They also offer barrels in case you ever want to switch barrels which is relatively simple on a Savage.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    No bad advice posted...but I'll add my two cents for a Ruger Precision Rifle. I picked up one used in .243 and its sub-sub moa.

Also; the Weatherby Vangaurd/Howa 1500 - great rifles for price. Weatherby has a model with an accuracy guarantee.

As to caliber....at 500 yards - you will be fine with anything mentioned. Don't count out the lowly .243 its very flat even compared to 6.5 creedmoor (no - lets not get into the differences....). 308 has lots and lots of support; ammo; platforms, etc. I also have a 300 weatherby magnum. It'll reach 1000 yards much better than I can but consider recoil as you move up the ladder. That damn thing kicks more than a 7 mm mag or 300 win mag. You may not think you have recoil impulse at 100 or 500 but at 1000 yards a fly landing on your barrel creates a 3' miss!!

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Glad you said you got a used one. When I went to GM and fingered a bunch of them, the Ruger felt extremely rough and clunky compared to the others. Fit an finish was also noticeably worse. Even on an empty chamber, the Ruger was not as easy to cycle. Frankly, I was disappointed because I do like the Ruger brand. Not sure what kind of like your .243 has had, but do you notice this?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Glad you said you got a used one. When I went to GM and fingered a bunch of them, the Ruger felt extremely rough and clunky compared to the others. Fit an finish was also noticeably worse. Even on an empty chamber, the Ruger was not as easy to cycle. Frankly, I was disappointed because I do like the Ruger brand. Not sure what kind of like your .243 has had, but do you notice this?

Do you know what model Ruger you handled at GM? I'm guessing GM most likely had Ruger American rifles in stock and the American is the budget/economy model for Ruger. It is comparable to the Savage Axis. In my experience the Ruger Hawkeye and especially the Precision rifles have better fit and finish than comparable Savage models. Ruger bolts will be tight compared to Savage bolts (which purposely have a lot of slop and play in them) but will slick up with use. For your stated purpose a slick bolt is not really necessary, though it may increase the pleasure of ownership.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    One of my dreams is to engage in long range (300-800 yards) rifle competition and without doubt the caliber of choice would be 308 to begin with as I honestly don't think there is anything left that needs to be discovered about how to maximize the 308's long range accuracy. There are even a huge assortment of 308 specific scopes out there for use in long range competition. There simply is far more 308 specific (far more than for nay other caliber) after market products than you can possibly imagine to enhance or customize your bolt rifle.

Economically speaking the .308 is nearly unbeatable.

No matter how one looks at it the equal to the 308 might be out there but noting really beats it. From an economic view point you simply can not beat the law enforcement models from Savage or Remington available to the public both can be had for VERY reasonable prices and are both MOA or better right out of the box with match grade factory ammo.

Top Bottom