• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Hang him for abiding the laws of capitalism! How dare he not give everyone their fair share or their fair opportunity! Off with his head! Bring me his head on a platter!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I've bought many, many 1000 round cartons over the years. Don't know if that's what the Walmart guy bought, but 1000 round 'boxes' certainly aren't out of the ordinary.

I DO agree with an earlier post, if folks would stop buying from the 'gougers & flippers', supply & prices would return to 'normal'. We saw the same thing with firearms not that long ago, and people were 'panic buying' about anything that even LOOKED like an AK / AR at mind-numbing prices.

By the same token, if some guy's gonna offer someone else $.50 / rnd. for .22LR, then whether they keep or sell it is up to them, isn't it?

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Supply is lower. Demand is higher. Price reflects that. "Gougers" and flippers aren't causing that. They are taking advantage of it.

Supply really isn't an issue. There is plenty of 22lr being produced but while people are willing to pay a premium there will be this self induced vacuum as "gougers" and "flippers" will continue to buy it out and resell it. They buy the bulk of what is being produced to be resold. Everyone else frenzies over the scraps.

I see 22lr being resold by middleage housewives who have no interest in shooting and long since killed their husbands will to shoot. Why because they can make a buck, have no job , and are willing to be a wal-mart at 9am.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    You could always start working there and beat Mark at his own game. Of course you'll have to kick Richards ass because already you know he'll narc you off to the customers. Blabbermouth. :boxing:

Then you can give INGO the inside scoop on deliveries...

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Supply really isn't an issue. There is plenty of 22lr being produced but while people are willing to pay a premium there will be this self induced vacuum as "gougers" and "flippers" will continue to buy it out and resell it. They buy the bulk of what is being produced to be resold. Everyone else frenzies over the scraps.

I see 22lr being resold by middleage housewives who have no interest in shooting and long since killed their husbands will to shoot. Why because they can make a buck, have no job , and are willing to be a wal-mart at 9am.
    How in the world can you say supply isn't an issue? Do you not see empty shelves? Supply isn't an absolute. It's relative. Until it sits on the shelves without people fighting to get it before the next guy, there's a supply issue.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    How in the world can you say supply isn't an issue? Do you not see empty shelves? Supply isn't an absolute. It's relative. Until it sits on the shelves without people fighting to get it before the next guy, there's a supply issue.

Supply is not the issue. Demand is the issue. Do you even econ, bro? Supply is at least what manufacturers were churning out before the increased demand. Increased demand even slightly boosted the supply. Problem is that even in the face of 24/7 maximum .22LR production, demand is still high. High demand, same supply to supply that demand, higher price.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    God forbid one of the 300-700 people that work at wal-mart buy ammo.

Walmart workers are people too!

I was talking to a guy working at Cabellas one morning after I struck out looking for .22LR. He said employees aren't allowed to buy it. He didn't say whether he wasn't allowed to buy it at all or just during working hours. He said sometimes he sees a shelf full come in and he's just out of luck. I think he also may be short on imagination.

Supply is lower. Demand is higher. Price reflects that. "Gougers" and flippers aren't causing that. They are taking advantage of it.

The prices at Walmart and just about every bigbox retail store that sells it doesn't reflect that. Until they do there won't be .22LR on the shelves.

Supply isn't the issue. Price is the issue. When demand is high enough that people are willing to pay $75 for brick of the crappiest 22LR, and Walmart has it for 22.99, how could it possibly stay on the shelves for long?

Madjack181

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Rochester
    Had the salesman at Walmart tell me he had a guy that bought his 3 box limit. Tried to buy the limit for his wife but the clerk told him she had to be there and buy it herself. So the guy paid some random woman in the store 20 bucks to buy another three boxes for him. Don't understand the frenzy over .22

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Had the salesman at Walmart tell me he had a guy that bought his 3 box limit. Tried to buy the limit for his wife but the clerk told him she had to be there and buy it herself. So the guy paid some random woman in the store 20 bucks to buy another three boxes for him. Don't understand the frenzy over .22

The price basis of .22LR is similar to that of the most expensive flower in the world: runaway demand.

387px-Semper_Augustus_Tulip_17th_century.jpg

Last edited:

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011

Because there is no shortage of 22lr ? Just as much and more is being produced as before newtown with less shooting of the ammo happening.... Soon as you understand that it will make sense.

There is no shortage, idiots have allowed a secondary market to form charging a premium to those stupid enough to allow it. Only 2 things can possibly stop it one of which is unlikely as manufacturers who this isn't hurting would have to increase production to levels it completely overwhelms the resellers. Or people can just not be dumb and quit paying too much, once their is not money to be made it will stop.

As far as on the shelf, its available 24/7 on gunbroker armslist etc... millions of rounds millions. So to repeat there is no supply issue there is plenty to go around. I'd be willing to wager there is actually a surplus.

Top Bottom