• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    When a red flag case is filed, a court must hold a hearing within 14 days to determine if the person is dangerous. The law defines a dangerous person as someone who “presents an imminent risk of personal injury to the individual or to another individual;” someone who has a mental illness but is not properly taking medication; or someone who “is the subject of documented evidence that would give rise to a reasonable belief that the individual has a propensity for violent or emotionally unstable conduct.”

im•mi•nent /ˈɪmənənt/ adj.
    1. likely to occur at any moment:
    Typical BS law to take our rights away. Perhaps if we put God back in the classroom we wouldn’t need BS laws like this.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I am so surprised by this.
    In all cases, judges granted the red flag petitions, finding people dangerous and ordering their firearms be seized.
    No Way Wow GIF (GIF Image)

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I am so surprised by this.

No Way Wow GIF (GIF Image)
    I guess it makes sense, what Judge is going to be the one to want to say there's nothing here and then have something happen, pretty much shows the hearing is worthless. Do we know what proportion of these get shut down by first responders before getting to that point or is it the same thing, nobody wants to say there's nothing here so any complaint gets pushed up. One of my criticisms of these laws is the lack of penalty for false reports etc. but I guess that's moot if they all just get approved anyway.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A general observation on this, beyond the obvious legislation needed to return our basic constitutional rights.

We as gun owners need to learn to keep our mouths shut to others as a normal rule. No more are you to be "the gun guy" at work or in the neighborhood. No more boasting about your collection to the family. No reason to necessarily lie, at the same time no reason to volunteer your gun owner status to anyone.

Not their business.

:twocents:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    500 total filings seems really low. A Laird form is supposed to be completed for review with every Immediate Dentention, and with how many guns are in the state, that just seems like a low number. I am really happy to see it so low. That means most cops are trying to find alternatives such as placing guns with family caretakers, etc. It may very well be too many, but man, I really expected to see another zero on the end of that.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Maybe I've misinterpreted the article, but of the three cases it highlights, it appears as if law enforcement is initiating the Red Flags based upon illegal behaviors/actions; as opposed to Joe-Citizen calling in a tip. Interesting.

Then there's this tidbit below... Gosh, I can't hardly imagine why most people agree to surrender their weapons in lieu of defending against the claim.

For her part, Holden-Kay believes the red flag law has been beneficial for public safety and for law enforcement. She noted that in most cases, people agree to surrender their weapons rather than contest a red flag petition.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are we going to merge this thread with every thread where someone complains that the LE had the shooter on their radar but "did nothing". Seems like significant overlap.

Dunno? Seems like both ends of the spectrum to me?

Law enforcement that doesn't adequately follow up reports of dangerous individuals in the same category as grouchy uncle who happens to own guns and pisses off the neighbors in a non-threatening way?

:dunno:

I Invented the Internet

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    IN
    You know my favorite part about red flag laws? Police will come and take every gun they can find but they'll leave behind every knife, bow & arrow, chainsaw, power drill, shovel, hatchet, can of toxic chemicals, baseball bat and all other implements of violence in the person's possession.

Because muh safety.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    You know my favorite part about red flag laws? Police will come and take every gun they can find but they'll leave behind every knife, bow & arrow, chainsaw, power drill, shovel, hatchet, can of toxic chemicals, baseball bat and all other implements of violence in the person's possession.

Because muh safety.
    Right? If the "danger" is the person, removal of tools hasn't really removed the "danger". It will likely further agitate the "danger". Great.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Only 500? We are absolutely doggy-paddling in an ocean of crazy these days. Emergency Detentions (formerly known as Immediate Detentions) and Mental Wits are so common it's scary. Many are so uncontrollable they require immediate sedation by EMS. Now, most are not armed at the time of their ED but it could be something learned while inside.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    It says about 500 cases filed. If my brain is still working it doesn’t say 500 cases upheld. So how many of the 500 were upheld and guns takin? 5, 15, 50….? They seem to leave that stat out.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Only 500? We are absolutely doggy-paddling in an ocean of crazy these days. Emergency Detentions (formerly known as Immediate Detentions) and Mental Wits are so common it's scary. Many are so uncontrollable they require immediate sedation by EMS. Now, most are not armed at the time of their ED but it could be something learned while inside.
    (Sort of kidding, sort of not) how long before sedation dart guns are issued? It worked on Wild Kingdom (not that old of a reference for INGO.)

Top Bottom