Need a case trimmer - index off of base or shoulder?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So I need a case trimmer and there are a million out there. I am only doing 223 and 300 BO and I'm looking in the below $200 range. I probably wouldn't do more than 1 or 2k in each caliber per year. I think I have narrowed my options down to either:

The Forster Original

Giraud tri-way in each caliber:

or the WCT in each caliber:

The Forster original indexes off of the base of the shell whereas the other 2 index off of the shoulder. I feel like going off the base would give you a more accurate OAL but I'm not sure and my head is spinning from googling.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Triway trimmer will save you TONS of time, both on trimming and chamfer/deburr. Set it and forget it. Never had one move. I upgraded to a giraud now, but still have a few triways for odd calibers.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Triway trimmer will save you TONS of time, both on trimming and chamfer/deburr. Set it and forget it. Never had one move. I upgraded to a giraud now, but still have a few triways for odd calibers.

So any concern doing it off the neck vs. doing it off the base? I mean I assume if I do my job sizing the correctly, it shouldn't matter, right?

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    So any concern doing it off the neck vs. doing it off the base? I mean I assume if I do my job sizing the correctly, it shouldn't matter, right?
    Trimming does two things. It allows the case to chamber. It helps with consistent neck tension/release. If all your brass is the same lot and brand, I’d imagine either will work. If it’s not, I would only index off the shoulder. However, we’re likely splitting hairs here. I only trim indexed off shoulder.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The Tri-way will allow you to trim brass easy peasy with a drill. And it will chamfer inside the neck and outside as well, and trim in one step.

The Wilson you have to lock the case in, and turn the handle by hand.
    It just trims the case, you still have to chamfer the neck.
    Which one do you want to rip off a 100 cases much less a 1,000?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    So really, i need one for bulk and one for precision it seems?
    Yea. You will need a Wilson and a Gracey. lol Just kidding.

Everything is a compromise. Wilson for precision. Little Crow or HMT for speed (I don't have any experience with the Giraud).

The thing about the drill chuck powered ones is that most every drill has some degree of run-out - just depends on how particular you want to be.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    So really, i need one for bulk and one for precision it seems?

Here’s what “bulk” can do. Tri-way and giraud power trimmer are both excellent. You don’t need a hand trimmer for precision. On that topic, you also don’t need a single stage press.

Attachments

• 20DFA04A-5A29-4AD0-8EA0-BEA13588DCA5.jpeg
      20DFA04A-5A29-4AD0-8EA0-BEA13588DCA5.jpeg
      594.8 KB · Views: 9

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yea. You will need a Wilson and a Gracey. lol Just kidding.

Everything is a compromise. Wilson for precision. Little Crow or HMT for speed (I don't have any experience with the Giraud).

The thing about the drill chuck powered ones is that most every drill has some degree of run-out - just depends on how particular you want to be.
    It most cases, its a moot point. You can power the Wilson with the optional shaft.

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    It most cases, its a moot point. You can power the Wilson with the optional shaft.
    This. I honestly haven’t seem much difference between any name brand trimmer with a drill attachment vs others. Modern trimmers from a good manf all work very well. I’d base your decision on whether it chamfers and deburrs also.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Here’s what “bulk” can do. Tri-way and giraud power trimmer are both excellent. You don’t need a hand trimmer for precision. On that topic, you also don’t need a single stage press.

That's really good. 100 yards? I have for the most part just been spitting out handgun round on my press for years but lately I have been trying to do some more precision shooting with the 300 BO and AR so I have been paying more attention to the case prep, powder weight, bullet seating, etc. It's amazing the difference the little things make.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This. I honestly haven’t seem much difference between any name brand trimmer with a drill attachment vs others. Modern trimmers from a good manf all work very well. I’d base your decision on whether it chamfers and deburrs also.

If i could do all three steps in one, that would definitely be a bonus. I have Lee presses so i originally was looking at their press mounted trimmers but the complaints about uneven trimming led me down the rabbit hole.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    This. I honestly haven’t seem much difference between any name brand trimmer with a drill attachment vs others. Modern trimmers from a good manf all work very well.
    I would bet the $5.00 Lee will cut cases within 2 thou...

I've used more different trimmers in my life, 20?years ago I bought the powered RCBS machine and then the three way cutters came out I bought those, and then the new shell holder system. I still have it, sitting in the box on a shelf.
    I have the powered Lyman that came out 2 years or so ago. I've never used it.
    It would be awesome. if they would have added a three way cutter.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That's really good. 100 yards? I have for the most part just been spitting out handgun round on my press for years but lately I have been trying to do some more precision shooting with the 300 BO and AR so I have been paying more attention to the case prep, powder weight, bullet seating, etc. It's amazing the difference the little things make.
    You know how many High Masters shooting High Power use a single stage Lee press and $35.00 Lee dies?

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I would bet the $5.00 Lee will cut cases within 2 thou...

I've used more different trimmers in my life, 20?years ago I bought the powered RCBS maching and then the three way cutters came out I bought those, and then the new shell holder system. I still have it, sitting in the box on a shelf.
    I have the powered Lyman that came out 2 years or so ago. I've never used it.
    It would be awesome. if they would have added a three way cutter.
    Ya, Lee tooling is very underrated. I’ve used a ton, and I’m now spoiled with the power giraud. Even though it’s totally modular, I hate changing anything out, so I tend to only have it setup for one caliber at a time consistently, depending what’s going on.

Yes, that’s 100 yards. If you have not, buy all of Bryan Litz’s books. In a few weeks of reading, you’ll learn more about loading, what matters, what doesn’t, than years browsing the net.

Top Bottom