Need a case trimmer - index off of base or shoulder?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    You know how many High Masters shooting High Power use a single stage Lee press and $35.00 Lee dies?

I'm actually really happy with the Lee stuff. I use a loadmaster and an APP and all of my dies are Lees. You need to spend some time on setup but once you have them running, they run great.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Ya, Lee tooling is very underrated. I’ve used a ton, and I’m now spoiled with the power giraud. Even though it’s totally modular, I hate changing anything out, so I tend to only have it setup for one caliber at a time consistently, depending what’s going on.

Yes, that’s 100 yards. If you have not, buy all of Bryan Litz’s books. In a few weeks of reading, you’ll learn more about loading, what matters, what doesn’t, than years browsing the net.
    My brother and I own a Giraud, I hate trimming, When I process cases its thousands more like a bucket full, of one caliber at a time.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm actually really happy with the Lee stuff. I use a loadmaster and an APP and all of my dies are Lees. You need to spend some time on setup but once you have them running, they run great.
    I tend to be a Dillon, Redding guy. But I do own many of Lees products. His bottle neck Factory Crimp dies work very well when that style of crimp is needed.
    I believe I have 6-7 of them.
    I will buy there dies if its a caliber I don't load very often.
    Richard Lee also produces a great Vol 1 and 2 Reloading manual.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I tend to be a Dillon, Redding guy. But I do own many of Lees products. His bottle neck Factory Crimp dies work very well when that style of crimp is needed.
    I believe I have 6-7 of them.
    I will buy there dies if its a caliber I don't load very often.
    Richard Lee also produces a great Vol 1 and 2 Reloading manual.
    NOBODY makes factory crimp dies like Lee. Even Lee haters still use them.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Tri-way
    Makes fast work on a 5gal bucket of. 223
    There's a thread around here about modifying a bench grinder to attach the tri-way to.
    I did it, you can mount the grinder vertical or horizontal which ever works better for you.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I just ordered a couple tri-ways so we'll see how it goes. I think I have an extra motor laying around somewhere but I'll probably just stick them in the drill press for now. I will probably pick up something like the Wilson or Lyman in the future for more precise work but I'll see how these do for now.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I've got a moderate case of arthritis and would suggest a pair of soft jawed pliers to hold the case while trimming it. Your hands will thank you.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I just ordered a couple tri-ways so we'll see how it goes. I think I have an extra motor laying around somewhere but I'll probably just stick them in the drill press for now. I will probably pick up something like the Wilson or Lyman in the future for more precise work but I'll see how these do for now.
    You can’t get more precise than a tri-way trimmer.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My brother and I have the Giraud so these havent been used for years and the new Lyman is still new.
    Both old Lymans have the feature with the throw levers to lock the cases in the machine. It works well.
    The Powered RCBS has the newer push lever to change the cases, it sometimes lets the case spin and you have to hold it.
    The drill press Lyman works very well, I have used it with the RCBS tri-cutters in the drill press and its pretty quick at that.
    20231024_143831.jpg
    20231024_150455.jpg
    This with a tri-cutter works well.
    20231024_154144.jpg
    There is a bunch of ways to go with todays reloading, you did well OP with what you ordered.

Top Bottom