• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Oh, and I dont think has been said yet, but when you install your new router, make sure you put the old router in bridge mode. Double NAT (a router/firewall behind another router/firewall) is not your friend and will negatively impact performance.

In bridge mode the router acts like a dumb modem and passes all the data directly to your new router so it can do its job. Personally, I prefer to buy my own dumb modem (to bypass any charges) and not worry about any issues with bridge mode flaky behavior. I dont have VoIP so YMMV.

I have researched putting this POS into bridge mode fairly well, it shouldn't be too hard when I get that far. Hmm, something I didn't think about. I do have VOIP.
    Thanks!:ingo:

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Cliffs notes on my way to bed. I'll try to follow up tomorrow;

If you ONLY want internet and dont use local file sharing in the house, anything a/g/n is fine. You only NEEEEEEED 802.11ac if you are accessing stuff locally and need it at very high speeds. Otherwise 802.11 a/g/n is fine for most applications.*

Bringing this thread back to life as I desperately need to update my router and things may have changed in 4 months. it was an old model when I got it 7 years ago. With some upgrades in the home, we can easily stress the wifi capability.

Don't need access points as the house is only 2000 sq ft and we have decent coverage now.

Want to be able to stream to the new Apple TV from iTunes (some routers discussed in previous threads had iTunes servers?) ... (CameraMonkey -- this is why I quoted your comment above).

and right now, when I apple TV from my ipod, my system gets bogged down (can't run to ipod then back to apple TV). So dual band? Or dual channel?

Max load seen now and near future? if EVERYTHING was turned on a pulling (can't see that happening) -- 2 ipods, 3 laptops, and 2 ipads, and 2 TVs with either Roku or Apple TV. Since there are only 3 of us in the house, I don't know how all that could run simultaneously.

the computer(s) with iTunes will be hard-wired to the router.

Buy once, cry once.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Top Bottom