• ...and so much more!
  • other guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    Peru Indiana
    Am looking to purchase a 9mm pistol and would like opinions on which to get. I will start by saying I perfer an all metal gun, exposed hammer as compared to striker fire. Can settle for new or used if the gun is still being made. Am looking at a 5906 Smith and Wesson, a 92FS Beretta, or a Taurus pt99. The Smith will be used as they don't make them any more. The Taurus will be new at under $400 as will be the smith. the Beretta will be new at $575 but will be blue as opposed to stainless for the other two. I know the Beretta is probably the best gun but if I buy one of the others I will be $200 closer to getting the new Ruger SR1911 that I really want also. What say you???

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Some pretty good deals can be had on police trade-in 5906's & they are superb handguns.

That's probably the direction that I would lean in if I was in the market for one of those three.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I like the 92FS as I own one. However, I would also look at CZ. For me at least, the CZ fits my hand better and I'm more accurate with it.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Some pretty good deals can be had on police trade-in 5906's & they are superb handguns.

That's probably the direction that I would lean in if I was in the market for one of those three.
    CDNN has the S & W 5906 for $299, but I've seen them for less than that on gun broker, also the BERRETTA 92 is excellent & can be had for under $400

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What will be the main purpose for this handgun. carry, home defense, range toy...?

The Beretta 92 is an excellent gun, it is fullsize so some find it hard for carry, but it is doable with the right holster and belt setup. The Smith 5906 are good guns too, I have only fired a couple, but everyone I know that owns one seems to be happy with them.

Given your requirements my of an all metal gun with a hammer, my personal choice would be a CZ.

Good luck with your decision.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I like the rock island 1911 9mm then when you get your ruger you will be use to it because of what you already have. I really like that ruger myself.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    This:

k89880_cz75_13.jpg

mwg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    east side indy
    of the guns you mentioned i would go with the beretta ,but you should look at the cz 75.it is an all metal gun with a hammer also.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Of the guns you mentioned, I'd pick the Taurus. I'm no Taurus fanboy, but I really like the 92/99. Its the only of the three you can carry cocked and locked like the 1911 you are looking at. Its also quite a bit less than the Beretta it's based off of, as you noted; I really enjoyed the one i had. I do echo the CZ posters in this thread as they have the same safety features.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I know you said you "prefer" an all metal frame but consider the Ruger P-95. You won't know the difference. It's a tank of a gun. External hammer. SOLID poly frame. Manual of arms very close to a 92FS. Safety flips up to fire. Full sized gun.

Also if you go used it will keep you well under $300 and closer to the 1911 you want as well. And the Ruger's grip will feel like a .45 anyway. And IIRC The Ruger P- Series before 95 are all metal. P-94, P-89.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom