Need suggestions (a unique "what gun" post)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hey guys, I am in need of suggestions. I turn *gasp* 30 on Sunday :):, and as a birthday present, i've decided to get myself a new pistol. but i'm not exactly sure what I'd like. I have a few ideas (i'll list them below) but i'm looking for opinions and some other options to toss in the pot.

My preferences:
    semi-auto
    9mm (preferred, not required)
    15-17 rounds
    <$650

So here are my current options and my thoughts next to them.

Glock 19 - I'm an M&P guy, but i kinda feel like I should have at least one glock. and if i'm gonna have one, it might as well be the more versatile one that I can carry that does not just overlap one of my M&Ps. The problem? I feel like I'd like something more unique than a glock for this occation.

Lionheart LH9 - Cool pistol. I've thought they were nifty from the first time I saw them. good reviews all around, unique, interesting double action +, 15 rounds. but i've never held or fired one, and it's metal, so it's heavy enough I may not carry it. Also, it's rarity leaves it difficult to get accessories for like holsters. Carrying isn't a necessary thing, but it's a definite plus.

Beretta 92 - Classic pistol, great lines, accurate. The only problem is I have smallish hands, and the Beretta feels large. I've never gotten to shoot one (something I hope to remedy in the coming months) and I cant carry it.

1911 - I probably wont carry it. and it's a .45, which would add another caliber to my collection... but like the glock, I dont have one, and feel like I should. But i dont know any of the prices of them. is there a good, sturdy one for around $5-600? I've always thought about buying a Rock Island. and i'd be OK with that. but again, I wont carry it, which puts it a little behind the glock and Lionheart

H&K VP9 - 9mm, carry size, more unique than a glock. I mean, it's an H&K.... I guess the only downside is that it's really so similar to M&P and glock in general. But a very nice gun, and may be a front runner, now that i'm thinking about it more.

MAYBE an FNX-9 - the FNX-45 is known as a very good gun. how does the 9mm stack up?

So what is INGO's thoughts on each of these and opinions on other guns to look into.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Here are a couple of tidbits that might (or not) help in your decision.

Sometime this year Beretta is coming out with a M9 A3 which is an improved 92 that has a thinner straight grip, threaded barrel and other goodies.
    Beretta M9A3
    It's probably expensive, but it's probably worth it.

9mm 1911's are readily available.
    Look at the Springfield Armory Loaded or Mil-Spec models.
    They are great quality for the money.

HK VP9 is the exact same size as a G17 but only has a magazine capacity of 15.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    HK VP9 is the exact same size as a G17 but only has a magazine capacity of 15.

Thanks, that is an interesting bit. I was hoping it was more G19 sized. if it is indeed closer to a G17 size, i probably will not get it, simply because I already have a full size M&P, and do not want another full size striker fired polymer pistol at this time. especially with fewer rounds. i'd rather get something a little different.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Look at CZs.

I have thought about the CZ-75 or the Desert Eagle Baby Eagle (which is a copy of another CZ design, isnt it?) but i am not sure if i want something that heavy. though, i guess the Lionheart is around the same weight. I'll have to play around with them the next time i'm at a shop to see how much i like them.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I have thought about the CZ-75 or the Desert Eagle Baby Eagle (which is a copy of another CZ design, isnt it?) but i am not sure if i want something that heavy. though, i guess the Lionheart is around the same weight. I'll have to play around with them the next time i'm at a shop to see how much i like them.

It's a copy of the IMI Jericho 941.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    The Baby Eagle is an excellent pistol and has nice lines. Another to consider, if you like the 1911 "look" is a Star Super B. Some of those were recently imported and they can be had for around $300. They are used, but mine is a slick as glass and the bore is very nice. It also comes with one extra mag. The Star Super B is a single stack gun, so it doesn't match your capacity criteria, not sure how big a deal that is to you, but you mentioned 1911s, so it immediately came to mind as an interesting and affordable alternative.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton

CZ P07 or its big brother CZ P09.... they are polymer and much lighter than the old school CZs. very accurate and also very fun to shoot. I love the Omega trigger.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Glock 19... You need one! Otherwise I'd buy myself a nice shotgun or something like that!

HK is cool, lionheart is very unique and cool too... But just buy a Glock 19.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Walther PPQ would be a good choice
    Glock 19 would be nice, but like you said, it may not be special enough for your big bad 30th... :fogey:

for my 45th birthday, I got a 1911 in 45

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I would see if you can find SIG P320. Not only will you get an incredibly nice shooter out of the box but if you get tired of 9mm of the size, full size to compact or subcompact, you can get a Conversion kit and change it. You wing up with a lot of different guns for a snall price. Sizes at Full-Carry-Compact-Subcompact and once they are all released you can change it from 9mm to .40 S&W to .357 Sig to 45 ACP. I absolutely love mine.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Walther PPQ or Glock 19 are both good choices. I am becoming a real fan of the PPQ.

If you love America, like guns and pee standing up then you will end up with a 1911 at some point. The Ruger SR1911 would be real close to your price range. It's your 30th man, treat yourself! 1911s deserve to be made in the USA. Plus the matte stainless could be engraved with something cool.
    2012-09-02_13-51-59_452.jpg

Hmm.....this year will be my 40th birthday. I really do deserve something cool right? And I am 2 years away from my 20th anniversary. Maybe Ol VERT will make out OK!

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    If I were buying a 9mm right now id buy a cz p07 from buds $373 delivered!!! great reviews!!

dptrs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2015
    Columbus
    If you really want unique, I would consider something radically different. You already own a 9mm semi-auto. If you are going to carry it, I suggest sticking with one gun that you can get very familiar with. A few years ago I was in a similar state and looking for something "unique". I ended up buying a Smith & Wesson Governor. It is as far removed from your wish list as you can get, but is insanely fun to shoot. There is something giddy about having 45AP, 45LC, and .410 all in the same gun at the same time. You can shoot all three calibers through one gun. This also makes it the best home defense gun you can have. Being a revolver, just point and pull the trigger. I keep mine with first two rounds #8 buckshot, next two 00 buckshot, then two 45 LC if the buckshot doesn't persuade retreat. Don't have to worry about wall penetration with neighbors either. It is a blast on the range also. When your target finally has enough holes punched through it, finish it off with a few rounds of buckshot. I guarantee it will make you smile. Being a revolver, it will eat virtually any ammo. I buy cheap 45AP for not much more than 9MM. It will fall within your price range.

On a different note, I have several 9MM semi-autos currently, and have owned many others. By far the best is my Colt 1911XSE Lightweight Commander in 9MM. It is stainless and aluminum and weighs in at 26.5 oz. It has a 4.25 barrel and the quality and recoil of this gun sets it above the rest. It is in a different league than my Glock or Baretta. All preferences are personal however. I suggest you go to a show or store and feel them in your hand. It may be just above your budget, but you really can feel a difference. This would satisfy your urge for a 1911, and keep you in a 9MM.

Strug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    West Indy
    I as well would recommend the PPQ, especially since your considering a VP9. I understand that the two are very comparable.

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    You can buy a TP9. Basically a Walther P99 clone, but cheaper. Comes with some nice 18 round mags for under $450. Walther factory mags do work in it.

Top Bottom