Need suggestions (a unique "what gun" post)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2014
    Greenwood
    I would see if you can find SIG P320. Not only will you get an incredibly nice shooter out of the box but if you get tired of 9mm of the size, full size to compact or subcompact, you can get a Conversion kit and change it. You wing up with a lot of different guns for a snall price. Sizes at Full-Carry-Compact-Subcompact and once they are all released you can change it from 9mm to .40 S&W to .357 Sig to 45 ACP. I absolutely love mine.

This is my choice as well. It's a new model, and very versatile, it can handle all your needs.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This also makes it the best home defense gun you can have. Being a revolver, just point and pull the trigger. I keep mine with first two rounds #8 buckshot, next two 00 buckshot, then two 45 LC if the buckshot doesn't persuade retreat.

Not-this-again.jpg

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I would go with a Browning Hi-Power. Great gun right out of the box but can be worked over and customized as well. Nice to carry and to shoot. You could get a new customization for it each birthday. It should hold it's value very well also.

CZ-75 would also be on the short list.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Gotta agree with those who have mentioned the CZ 75B. I just picked one up and I love it. Nice soft shooter, very accurate, feels great in my hand and has a 16 round capacity. MecGar mags with a +1 are easy to find, inexpensive and look better than stock mags IMO. Get the Hogue wrap around rubber grips and it feels even better. I've owned several Glock's, M&P's and the Walther PPQ in both original and 5" and I like the CZ better.

Otherwise, I agree with VERT. As much as I like the CZ 75B, I like 1911's in .45 even more. The Ruger SR1911 he mentioned is awesome for the price. Has a sweet trigger for a gun in that price range. I like mine enough I made it my winter carry gun.

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central

saintnick81

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Bedford
    If you are think about a glock 19 but want something different, you could always go with one of the fde or the rtf vickers.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was looking at some PPQs yesterday... they look freaking huge! I was in a hurry, so i didnt get to handle them. but they look 3/8" or so wider than an M&P

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    VP9 was my pick and love it but there again with the current promotion from Beretta on there 90 series its hard to pass up $130 in free goods when you buy it new. No matter what you cant go wrong with any you have listed above.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    For another $100 you could probably get into a Springfield Range Officer 1911 in 9mm. Give you something less common, yet still customizable.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Renting is not always possible. Especially with the dismal state of range/rental selection in Lafayette.

Have you been to Applied Ballsitics lately?
    Their rental cabinet is so full it looks ready to collapse!
    They even have a Coonan .357mag in there.

On a side note, I'm also in Lafayette, and I have a few examples of models you've expressed interest in.
    I have a 1911 in .45acp, and a Baby Eagle in .40S&W (CZ clone), and a PT99 in 9mm (Beretta clone), and the list goes on.
    I have access to a private range and would be happy to let you try a few rounds through each if you choose.

Want to try a "Unique" handgun?
    How about a bolt action one in .308Winchester?
    Maybe you'd like to try a Raging Bull .454 Casull?

Rentals are not always necessary.

MusicMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 21, 2014
    Lake County
    To truly want something different, you need to change action or caliber.

Since you were thinking Beretta 92 but thought the grip was too big, I highly recommend the CZ's. You could get a brushed stainless CZ 75b in your price range and be the envy of most around. The FDE P09 is pretty sweet as well.

1911 is never a bad choice.

How about .357 revolver? If you want to stay in 9mm, there's the LCR in 9mm.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom