• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The repressed memory statute of limitations thing changed about then, too, right? Maybe a bit earlier?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So this basically boils down to the gun was property of the Sheriff's Department, so they are responsible?

If he had been on duty and had thrown her a personal weapon would they have been able to sue the Sheriff's Department as well?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So this basically boils down to the gun was property of the Sheriff's Department, so they are responsible?

If he had been on duty and had thrown her a personal weapon would they have been able to sue the Sheriff's Department as well?

Yes. I don't think this hinges on who owned the firearm. It hinges on whether he was acting as an LEO (which seems doubtful) when he tossed the gun toward her and whether that was negligent.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    As her husband, is he part of the estate? Could this lead to him getting part of any settlements based on his actions? Civil court is fun.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    As her husband, is he part of the estate? Could this lead to him getting part of any settlements based on his actions? Civil court is fun.

As far as I know, the law is not crystal clear. Did she die intestate? Don't know, but also don't know if it matters on this issue. In Indiana, one can not completely disinherit their spouse (under most circumstances). What I do know is that when a person murders another, they can not benefit from the murder as a beneficiary of the Estate or under any life insurance policies. This is not that. However, there is some common law about being a "constructive trustee" that may come into play. This is a very interesting issue.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Sad story in so many ways, but in the end it's about one thing.

Always follow the money

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    As far as I know, the law is not crystal clear. Did she die intestate? Don't know, but also don't know if it matters on this issue. In Indiana, one can not completely disinherit their spouse (under most circumstances). What I do know is that when a person murders another, they can not benefit from the murder as a beneficiary of the Estate or under any life insurance policies. This is not that. However, there is some common law about being a "constructive trustee" that may come into play. This is a very interesting issue.

This situation could be a law school exam question.

I agree it is rather doubtful that he was acting as an LEO. I'm sure the Sheriff doesn't endorse employees putting the habeus grabbus on spouses/significant others during arguments at home.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... I'm sure the Sheriff doesn't endorse employees putting the habeus grabbus on spouses/significant others during arguments at home.
    Probably not as a matter of general spousal relations, but it appears not in dispute that she tried to grab the gun while he was wearing it. I would bet it is Sheriff's policy for his deputies to not let people take their guns, regardless of circumstances or duty status. I would also bet there is not a policy that says "sure, give your sidearm to spouses threatening suicide."

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I'm not the teacher, but I met him once... so I call on Mr. Freeman to answer the question as long as it does not pertain to money.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I know you like posting that...but what else could civil court be about?

We could make civil court more interesting if we'd bring back dueling as a possible litigation methodology. Of course "dueling" is too simple for legal term, we'd have to call it binding arbitration with prejudice.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    *stands up, fold hands in front*

Well, for example: child custody, CHINS, TPRs, property lines disputes, title as to property, adverse possession, specific performance on contracts, probate (usually money, but can be about title), inter alia.

OK, you can go outside and play now.

Top Bottom