• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    The Citadel guns are made in the same Armscor factory in the Philippines as Rock Island Armory and a few other brands. The only difference is the roll mark on the side and the name of the company that imports them to the USA.

They're a little rough, but most work well and you can can't beat the value. A functional 1911 for under $400 including taxes and other fees is a good deal.

The frames are apparently the same frames used for the RIA Tac models...both stamped M 1911-A1 FS on the right side of dustcover....

And it was slightly rough in certain spots...I noticed the barrel was already wearing on the top after only a couple hundred rounds, so I went ahead and polished the barrel today too...
    Overall I think you'd be he**-bent to find a better deal in the 1911 platform...and it shoots them cheap 9mm bullets!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The frames are apparently the same frames used for the RIA Tac models...both stamped M 1911-A1 FS on the right side of dustcover....

And it was slightly rough in certain spots...I noticed the barrel was already wearing on the top after only a couple hundred rounds, so I went ahead and polished the barrel today too...
    Overall I think you'd be he**-bent to find a better deal in the 1911 platform...and it shoots them cheap 9mm bullets!

Indeed! I was plinking with one at an small empty helium tank at about 35 yards a couple of weeks ago. When I realized I was a little high at the distance compared to point of aim, it was pretty easy to hit it!

NightmareOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Jamestown ND
    Well they are 1911s. Why would they not be similar in style when you follow the same design parameters? I mean if two musicians are playing off the same sheet of music one ain't going to be playing Dixie and the other Yankee Doodle.

When comparing my Brother-in-law's Springfield and my RIA/father's Colt, they are similar... but no where near the RIA to Colt comparison. They are exactly identical. The Springfield is dissimilar enough, that the slide will not fit either of the other two. So it seems that two gun manufactures can be fallowing the same design parameters and end up with similar, yet totally different renditions of the target product. Seems to me that Springfield is "playin Yankee Doodle" in this case while RIA decided to fall in line and whistle Dixie with Colt... or Colt of the not so distant past. Maybe that's because they have just done a better job of fallowing the design specs, or it's because they have the exact machinery the Colt was made on... either way, IMHO they are making a very nice rendition of yesteryear's Colt's 1911s.
    Col

NightmareOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Jamestown ND
    This is pretty much like any other 1911, so I'm not sure what you were getting at there Nightmare...I mean the design hasn't really changed in over 100 years, except it is a little dressed up with the front cocking serrations and beavertail....parkerized finish....oh and these are Series 70.
    I was just making the point, that in my personal opinion I am convinced the RIA's... at least of mid to late 2000 production must have came off Colt machinery. I can't speak to anything to much more recent as my buddy James bought the most recent one in our circle in about 2010. That one is a Citadel. To my way of thinking, they most likely wouldn't have changed things too much; the old adage, "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind... an there ain't never been anything broke with any 1911 made by Armscor. Even though, some guys will avoid them like the plague. That's what I don't understand, and was my point. That these are about as good a value as one can get when it comes to 1911s.
    It does seem, that some may have taken my statements as coarse. That was not my intentions, I just wanted to sing the praises of the Armscor 1911s and offer my confusion as a possible point of further discussion. I did not mean to step on any toes. Again, you have a very nice 1911 there and I'm glad it is working out so well for you.
    Col

NightmareOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Jamestown ND
    I would have to agree, as I'm sure most anyone who has ever shot one would as well.

Indeed! I was plinking with one at an small empty helium tank at about 35 yards a couple of weeks ago. When I realized I was a little high at the distance compared to point of aim, it was pretty easy to hit it!
    Mine was on at 50 yards right out of the box. Still amazes me every time I hit a 20 oz soda bottle out there, and it happens with almost boring regularity. Maybe it's just me, but I have never found a pistol that just points, handles, and shoots so well. And when they work as well as the Armscors I've had the privilege to use do, well in the words of Hickok45... "Life is good!"
    Col

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    It does seem, that some may have taken my statements as coarse. That was not my intentions, I just wanted to sing the praises of the Armscor 1911s

Meh, welcome to INGO, where everyone is holier-than-thou. Don't read to much in to my post. I was only saying that they are 1911s like most other 1911s and while not all the parts may interchange between brands all are very similar. Springfield is a more modern style 1911 with different QC standards than Armscor. So I would not expect them to swap parts easily.

sbmalibu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    north judson Indiana
    I bought the same gun from rural king this summer. Think I paid 349 for it. I have put about 300 rounds through it without a single hiccup. Was gonna be a hold over till I got a "nicer" 1911 but think I will keep it now. I absolutely love this gun.

NightmareOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Jamestown ND
    Meh, welcome to INGO, where everyone is holier-than-thou. Don't read to much in to my post. I was only saying that they are 1911s like most other 1911s and while not all the parts may interchange between brands all are very similar. Springfield is a more modern style 1911 with different QC standards than Armscor. So I would not expect them to swap parts easily.
    This is very true... I can agree to that. lol Thinking one day, when I can afford it, I will get a more modern/fancier 1911. The 2011 that RIA has really intrigues me.
    Col

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    I was almost going to hold out for a Springfield RO in 9mm, which is still an excellent gun...and I think worth the extra $, but I am more than happy with the Citadel..

NightmareOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Jamestown ND
    I was almost going to hold out for a Springfield RO in 9mm, which is still an excellent gun...and I think worth the extra $, but I am more than happy with the Citadel..
    Why do you feel it is worth the extra money? My brother-in-law has a SA 1911 A1 and comparing it to my RIA 1911 A1 I just can't see anything but name to warrant the extra 200 in price... Their stainless even rusts; which is completely unacceptable to me. Stainless is supposed to be just that stainless. But, each their own... and I am interested to hear why you prefer the SA.
    Col
    Oh, the SA does have a loop for tether that I could appreciate on my RIA... but, I believe I could add one for not much if I really wanted one. I just don't know that it would be worth the trouble at this place in time.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    . Their stainless even rusts; which is completely unacceptable to me. Stainless is supposed to be just that Stainless.

This is a very common misconception. Stainless means it stains less not stain proof. There are many varieties of and degrees of stainless and semi stainless steels and all have qualities that are better suited for different tasks. Hell most stainless steel used in firearms and knives is magnetic. Given a long enough time in a corrosive environment all stainless steel will oxidize

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    I said Springfield RO...as in Range Officer, not the mil-spec 1911-a1...very different pistols...

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I was impressed with the trigger on mine, very good especially at that price point. Also liked that it came with two mags. I have since sold mine, but only because I wanted something else more. I had no complaints about the Citadel and recommend it to others looking for an entry level 1911 in 9mm.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Maybe I fibbed a little bit. I didn't care for the ambi safety and dremeled the one side smooth, but that is my preference and I suppose not necessarily a negative against the gun.

Tac45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    SS
    Maybe I fibbed a little bit. I didn't care for the ambi safety and dremeled the one side smooth, but that is my preference and I suppose not necessarily a negative against the gun.

Ahh! I hate the ambi safety...didn't know it was so easy as to just dremel off the extra! So what, just take off the extra bit that sticks off the end of the sear pin to hold the left side safety on? Does it leave a hole is the left side of the frame though from the rear "pin" or bar from the left safety?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    attachment.php

Top Bottom