• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sooo... there I was in Blythes (Griffith) yesterday and low and behold, I spot a Detonics ServiceMaster (fixed). After holding it and looking at it, I left thinking "I need to contact Melensdad about this". So I did, after a few PMs and a lot of research last night, I went back to the store today. After some negotiating and waiting over 30 minutes for the ATF to give me the go ahead, out the door with it I walked.
    I took it straight to the NWI Club House so Melensdad could look it over and apparently I made an "outstanding" purchase and everyone there ooed and aaaahhhed over it. Anyway, I haven't shot it yet but I am completely in love with it! Thanks Melensdad for the words of wisdom!
    And without further adooooo......

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    First off, learn to spell it right!!!

It's not a Service Master. It is a ServiceMaster. All one word, with the S and the M capitalized. Just like the CombatMaster is not a Combat Master and a ScoreMaster is not a Score Master.

Secondly, its in amazing condition. The rails show very light wear, but by very light I mean almost no wear. For a 20 year old gun that gun has probably had a box of ammo run through it, maybe less.

For for those who don't know, the vast majority of 1911 pistols are essentially assembled by lightly trained hourly employees who are reasonably clueless, this statement applies to Kimber, Ruger, Colt, Sig, S&W, Springfield and most every other 'production' brand of 1911 pistol made. If you buy a "performance shop," "custom shop," etc. version of one of the above brands then you are getting a gun that was built by a gunsmith and hand tuned, but only if you buy one of those special versions. On the other hand, every Detonics 1911 was hand built and hand fitted by a single master gunsmith who built that gun from start to finish. Its probably one of the reasons the company failed financially, it was simply too expensive to make guns that way.

The brand never made a lot of guns, but they did make dramatic improvements to the 1911 platform and every modern 1911 builder today, whether it be a bottom feeder like Rock Island Armory, or a top end maker like Les Baer or Wilson Combat, is using patents and innovations and designs developed by Detonics.

Mike's new/old gun is a "Georgia" factory gun. Georgia guns were the 3rd factory and were considered the best guns from a technical standpoint. They employed some of the same master gunsmiths from the original factory and continued to improve the guns in slight ways. While not 'inspired' in design like the very innovative Washington guns, they were more of an evolved gun that was more refined and used even better materials.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    Amazing! I was just there yesterday, I am surprised I missed it! Lucky you, because I would have snatched it up in a second!! What where they asking if you don't mind?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Top Bottom