• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I started this conversation to hear other peoples thoughts on this subject , and general opinions , what I said you can agree with with or not , its called a open discussion , I thought , sorry if I offended anyone , thought it would be a interesting conversation , but I thought you wanted open conversation. Kinda stops open conversation if a newbie sees a guy getting attacked on a conversation.
    I think the conversation has been spirited, but civil. It has been an interesting conversation. It's also been open. All sides have been able to present their opinions about it. How much more open should one expect?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Agree to disagree. I take a less utilitarian approach to life. If it seems wrong my moral guidelines set me straight. Human life should always be the top concern imo.
    Do you mean "utilitarian" as in the philosophy? If so, this is a very utilitarian position.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That’s the choice you have. It’s not my top concern. My top concern is taking care of my family and ensuring everyone has access to those inalienable rights. Human life, individually, is much farther down.
    Yes. I believe that human life is sacred but to the individual. It's one's own responsibility. It's not the responsibility of society to prioritize human life above rights. But that through individual rights, human lives are maximized.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Okay I understand

My God and family always come first. That is a huge part of why I believe human life is more sacred then civil rights. My family is at risk with more young adults possessing guns for just a "bragging effect".
    First, I think that your fear of risk is a perception and not a fact. I believe human life is sacred too, but at an individual level and not at a collective level. So that means you don't have the right to impose your fears on other individuals.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I started this conversation to hear other peoples thoughts on this subject , and general opinions , what I said you can agree with with or not , its called a open discussion , I thought , sorry if I offended anyone , thought it would be a interesting conversation , but I thought you wanted open conversation. Kinda stops open conversation if a newbie sees a guy getting attacked on a conversation.
    No, hopefully it stops a newbie from being brainwashed by the media.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    But are your moral guidelines or my moral guidelines the correct course of action?

Here is how I evaluate politics in general. So long as an action does not affect or otherwise damage other people then there doesn't need to be a law. I would lump the taking of another humans life to be the very example of damage and would most definitely send most moral compasses into a spin. So lets make law that says murder is illegal, or shooting people is illegal, or pointing a gun or threatening people to be illegal. How about laws that forbid theft or assault? Worrying about an 18-21 year old not having mandatory training or trying to regulate "moral" behavior is just not the correct way to go about things.

Now a compromise, I agree that 18 year old children should not be allowed to carry guns but is exchange the smoking, drinking, voting, marriage, credit applications and military enlistment age should all be moved to 21. Oh and outlaw pregnancy under the age of 21 as well. (I am joking......voting age should be 30, only for US citizens and people who have actually paid taxes.)
    And passed IQ tests.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    So this has STILL been ignored. 18 year olds were and are legal to carry firearms. Where is all this mythical blood shed by lawful carriers? I’ll wait.

This is nothing new other than being forced to ask permission from an entity to protect yourself.
    Hopefully not for long. Not here in Indiana.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Okay I understand

My God and family always come first. That is a huge part of why I believe human life is more sacred then civil rights. My family is at risk with more young adults possessing guns for just a "bragging effect".
    What is this “bragging effect”? Can you cite some examples or perhaps provide some data? I don’t believe I’ve ever witnessed it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think the conversation has been spirited, but civil. It has been an interesting conversation. It's also been open. All sides have been able to present their opinions about it. How much more open should one expect?
    I dont think it went as expected for the OP. He was basically called out for his lack of knowledge concerning code/law pertaining to this and his opinion is somewhat left of center for this crowd. And that is a fair assessment.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What is this “bragging effect”? Can you cite some examples or perhaps provide some data? I don’t believe I’ve ever witnessed it.
    I have more than once.
    But overall, it is mostly a minor deal until it's not. I have seen more adults act foolish with firearms but I am around a lot more adults truth be told.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Nobody is "going after" anyone. Both the OP and you have presented your opinions, and the overwhelming majority of the people that have joined in on this thread just disagree with them. Mandatory training has never been a requirement for 18 year olds to carry in this state with a license. Why should that change if the requirement of a license to carry is no longer needed? Other than the "permission slip" to exercise a constitutional right, what would this law change in that regard? Neither you, nor the OP have answered that question.

Nobody has said that getting training is a bad idea, and in fact I think you will find that most folks on INGO think it's a good idea. The disagreement seems to be in regard to whether or not that training should be mandatory. It really is as simple as that.
    Mic drop

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have more than once.
    But overall, it is mostly a minor deal until it's not. I have seen more adults act foolish with firearms but I am around a lot more adults truth be told.
    Oh, I’ve seen in the bragging. I’m asking for examples of the effect. So many examples of gun stupidity, but most seem to be related to more mundane things like cleaning, or leaving guns unsecured, rather than doing stupid things while bragging.

Last edited:

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Removing this useless law is not going to cause a mass casuality event among 18/19/20 year olds, and its been proven in 21 other states.

So lets flip this conversation.

How many people have perished because they had to wait, god only knows how long, stuck in a bureaucratic process to grant them the ability to use their god given right to self defense?

How has this LTCH overreach actually helped to protect us?

Stop criminals from carrying firearms? Criminals don’t follow the law.

All its done is successfully force law abiding citizens to become criminals to protect themselves.

Top Bottom