Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Welcome!
    Interesting, I'd like one.
    I'd also like wood furniture for my PC9.
    :)
    View attachment 267491

videodon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    New Albany
    Very cool! Thanks!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Though I have to wonder if the henry made mags aren’t the issue.
    I've read before that the gun designing is the easy part.
    The hard part has always been the PROPER interaction between magazine and receiver.

I have confidence that they will figure it out, just a little surprising that they released it with obvious issues.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have also seen multiple videos where they forgot to put the charging handle in the box...

Also the disasembally is a bit advanced for most people, with pins holding in the parts like an 870, as odd as it sounds.. that whole design sorta reminds me of an 870.

I think I will pass.... and stick with my M1 Carbine. Just wish the ammo would come down, but I have a bajillion 30 carbine rounds stashed.

marvinthearvincarbine.jpg

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    This makes me sad. I wanted to like this gun. I was not, however, a fan of the slot in the left side of the receiver, or the straight blowback action. Looks like there are some serious ejection issues, which may be related to the mag, or may not be. Would be interesting to see him run it with the Glock or P320 Magazine adapter just to see if it makes a difference.

I think I'll stick with my 9mm AR. I wish somebody would make a gas-operated 9mm M1 Carbine...that would be cool as heck. As it is, this saves me money.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    9mm carbine how much recoil could it have?
    It's not about recoil, it's about mass. On a blowback system the only thing holding the bolt shut against the pressure in the chamber is the inertia of the bolt. There's no way around the minimum mass requirement.

What this system does is split the mass between two halves and move one of them somewhere else on the gun so all that bolt weight isn't up in the receiver.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    It's not about recoil, it's about mass. On a blowback system the only thing holding the bolt shut against the pressure in the chamber is the inertia of the bolt. There's no way around the minimum mass requirement.

What this system does is split the mass between two halves and move one of them somewhere else on the gun so all that bolt weight isn't up in the receiver.
    Yes, and it looks like to do this, they took inspiration from a Remington 870.
    With a set of action bars connecting the bolt in the receiver to a weight under the slide (instead of a pump).
    Its like a telescoping bolt, only with an action weight under the barrel.

The funny thing is..the way that is, they are using the action bars in reverse from the normal way.

Its rather novel really.

I just wonder if they didn't "mail it in" when it came to the Henry mags and magwell, knowing that many would swap to the glock/S&W mags. The mag well on this design contains the extractor.. and I don't think Henry has their stuff ironed out yet. Videos using the glock mags seem perfect in videos I have seen.

1680797730998.png

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Honest Outlaws was a sample of one, but it was a horrible sample.

That's the only review I've seen with issues. If there are others please post links.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yes, and it looks like to do this, they took inspiration from a Remington 870.
    With a set of action bars connecting the bolt in the receiver to a weight under the slide (instead of a pump).
    Its like a telescoping bolt, only with an action weight under the barrel.

The funny thing is..the way that is, they are using the action bars in reverse from the normal way.

Its rather novel really.

I just wonder if they didn't "mail it in" when it came to the Henry mags and magwell, knowing that many would swap to the glock/S&W mags. The mag well on this design contains the extractor.. and I don't think Henry has their stuff ironed out yet. Videos using the glock mags seem perfect in videos I have seen.

View attachment 268133
    870 action bars is exactly what I thought when I saw it. I really do think it's a neat idea. Gives you a receiver the size of a levergun instead of a chonker like the CZ Scorpion or Beretta CX4. Use of the space under the handguard reminds me of a gas operated shotgun or M1, as well, though here it's just a place to stash bolt mass and spring.

Does go to explain some of the high price, there's more to manufacture than just a big cast slug of a bolt. The obvious pump shotgun inspiration is cool to see from Henry. At least there's some real differences under the hood from every other blowback 9mm.

Top Bottom