• ...and so much more!
  • Wash

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2023
    Madison County
    Good morning!

Just moved from IL in December. Quick question - is it worth it to get a license in IN? I know it is a constititional carry state, are there any other benefits to get the permit other than state reciprocity?

I had an IL permit but I think it’s null and void now that I’m not a resident there.

Thanks for your help!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Good morning!

Just moved from IL in December. Quick question - is it worth it to get a license in IN? I know it is a constititional carry state, are there any other benefits to get the permit other than state reciprocity?

I had an IL permit but I think it’s null and void now that I’m not a resident there.

Thanks for your help!
    Welcome! The LTCH can come in handy if you travel to other states that honor Indiana's license, but do not have constitutional carry.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Welcome to INGO and Indiana.

For me it's reciprocity should I decide to travel and carry. Beyond that, for me it's an intangible that I have jumped through the hoops and met the requirements.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I moved three years ago next month from illinois, best move I ever made. It is only $13.00 to get a LTCH that is good for life so why not? I only moved 14 miles from east central Il to west central Indiana. I still go back into illinois quite a bit to see relatives and friends so having the LTCH from Indiana means I can legally carry a loaded handgun inside my vehicle. Jim.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Reciprocity in other states is the primary reason, small fringe benefit is most like to see a "pink slip" when selling a firearm privately. IMHO it's a legal CYA to say you did your best to ensure you were not selling to a felon or prohibited person. But as long as you are within state borders and are a resident you do not need a permit to carry anymore.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    ..... I still go back into illinois quite a bit to see relatives and friends so having the LTCH from Indiana means I can legally carry a loaded handgun inside my vehicle. Jim.

I would get a copy of the relevant Illinois statute, laminate it, and keep it in your car.
    You may know transport is legal, I may know transport is legal, but expecting any random ISP officer to know is a fools errand.
    JMTC.

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    I moved three years ago next month from illinois, best move I ever made. It is only $13.00 to get a LTCH that is good for life so why not? I only moved 14 miles from east central Il to west central Indiana. I still go back into illinois quite a bit to see relatives and friends so having the LTCH from Indiana means I can legally carry a loaded handgun inside my vehicle. Jim.
    I think you missed a decimal there. The lifetime LTCH in Indiana is about $130.00, not $13.00.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    That was all part of the long fight that ended up being Constitutional Carry in 2022.
    Right, but some that are complaining about the carry permit just don't see the part about it giving them the right to carry in other states. Thats got me thinking of getting mine.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The other benefit for getting a permit is it’s a violation to be within 1,000 feet of a school without a permit . While there is no case law yet on constitutional carry there’s that.

Also below is a post from Lee Weems training site. For those that don’t know Weems is a Training LT for a Sheriff’s Office. One of 5 or 6 Range Master instructors. And a Handgun Combative's instructor as well as teaches college so he’s more qualified to speak on it.

Attachments

• EF6A096C-3DA8-440A-8062-E8B2F519A9BA.jpeg
      EF6A096C-3DA8-440A-8062-E8B2F519A9BA.jpeg
      167 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Just got my lifetime, less than $15 for fingerprints, no local, or ISP fee......I just wish Indiana had a picture on the LTCH, it would be accepted in more states.........
    Most states that fail to honor our LTCH is because they are either a WOKE state ( IL, NY, CA and Illinois ) or because IN does not require formal traing ( SC ).

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    OP, welcome to the land of relatively free from draconian gun laws Indiana. Having moved here from NJ 18 years ago and from an 18 month stint in Illinois, wherefrom I scurried back to Indiana; Welcome and Enjoy!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The other benefit for getting a permit is it’s a violation to be within 1,000 feet of a school without a permit . While there is no case law yet on constitutional carry there’s that.

Also below is a post from Lee Weems training site. For those that don’t know Weems is a Training LT for a Sheriff’s Office. One of 5 or 6 Range Master instructors. And a Handgun Combative's instructor as well as teaches college so he’s more qualified to speak on it.

Except, that part was struck down.

Also, notice the new 'discharge firearm'
    (.pdf)

Except as provided in subparagraph (B), it shall
    be unlawful for any person, knowingly or with reckless
    disregard for the safety of another, to discharge or attempt
    to discharge a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise
    affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the
    person knows is a school zone.
    (B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the discharge
    of a firearm—
    (i) on private property not part of school