New options with the rifle rules for deer hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Advantages?

They are more lethal than almost all of the normally-employed options in this state. Period.

Anybody that thinks differently has not done much shooting with a medium-bore centerfire rifle into large-r game and seen the results.

-Nate

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I certainly am not switching to a rifle caliber for increased lethality. I had plenty of DRT deer with my 12 gauge using the Winchester 2&3/4" XP3 300 grain sabot slugs at 2000 FPS. Those slugs are amazing.

Advantages of a rifle caliber to me are: I can shoot it from an AR (10 or 15) platform with all of its inherent advantages, I can load my own ammunition with all of the advantages thereof, less recoil and more comfortable to shoot, cheaper ammunition and practice in general, flatter trajectories, and greater effective range.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I love my mossberg slug gun. It's accurate and with a rifled barrel and the right ammo it's perfect for Indiana deer hunting.

That being said I picked up a Remington 7600 in 308 a couple years ago that finally has a reason to come out of the safe. I also would like to build out one of my lowers now to 300 blackout with a 16 in barrel now because you know Merica :patriot:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I certainly am not switching to a rifle caliber for increased lethality.

Oh I get it. I've used the Hornady SST slugs for several years, and they are quite good. For a slug. I have dope to 300 yards, verified every 25 yards. But still, it remains a slug gun.

My smokeless ML that spent almost ALL of the time in the woods by my side launches a 300 grain THOR at 2,300 or so. Nothing ever hit by it has ever lived, including one mercy kill at a step or two past 240 yards (still penetrated over 24"!).

But it's no .30-06.

-Nate

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Ive been hanging onto my marlin 30 30 just in case this ever happened. Might give it a try this year. Easier on the wallet and shoulder than my 870.
    Or Heck, might even try the ak.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I never felt handicapped by running a shotgun.
    Mine shot good, killed deer dead. Most deer down within 75 yards of impact.
    .720 bullet makes a decent hole, fair amount of paint comes out.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Running the .50 cal WW HI Supremes.................the hole smaller, but the reaction of the deer was more pronounced.
    Mid lung hits could collapse them.
    Impressive.
    Brother in law ran the cheaper WW BRI..............shot just as good accuracy wise............but the deer would run off and the BT's were not very good.
    So he just kept his shots closer...............and shot them in the head.
    Personally, I think that more risky, and it uglies the deer up (I don't like that). But it worked for him.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Older I get the more picky I am about little things.
    Checked a 700 LV and did not care for the HS Precision stock on it.
    Was thinking of one for my ADL.............the grip angle, the flare at the forend...............the LV stock I did not care for.
    My reg cheap synth stock (factory) feels better, and after reinforcement seems to be decent.
    And while I've had several 700's over the last couple of decades (7 mag proly my fave)......................dang if that short and heavy little #1 RSI doesn't feel sweet.
    The red pad doesn't do crap for it recoil wise...........and it's just a 243 win...........but for it's heft and size, does pop a bit.
    My 700 ADL way more comfy. But it doesn't carry the same.
    If the regs open up in 4 yrs I'd like to run a TC Custom shop in .256 win.
    Wimpy, but up close I'd run it for a deer or two............just for the cool factor.

Have zero interest in using an AR or some plastic stocked bolt rig.
    They bore me.

I like stuff that's out of the ordinary..............FG Ruger auto, Hawken Silver Elite, Colt Python, Contender carbine.

Not a fan of buying whatever some new hunting show or magazine is hyping.
    Nothing wrong with shooting the latest and greatest................just not my thing.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I think the new regs may not offer any real field advantages for some hunters, but may up the fun factor quite a bit.
    Still wonder, on the various forums..............who will be the first to post a "shot and lost with HP rifle" story.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Advantages:
    1) With a quality gun in capable hands, you can expect to at least double your range for proper humane shots.
    2) Significantly greater downrange performance, from both an energy and terminal (expansion) aspect.
    3) Much greater selection of ammo choices.
    4) Handloads can be much better tailored to the gun, especially in single shot and bolt action guns, allowing you to seat the bullet just short of the lands to get greater case capacity and improved accuracy.
    5) A greatly expanded choice of guns.
    6) Lesser recoil than with shotgun slugs, while getting better performance, as with the likes of .243 Winchester or .300 Savage.
    7) Better potential accuracy overall at both close and extended range.
    8) The ability to use premium bullets, such as the Nosler Partition, the Barnes TSX/TTSX, or the Speer Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.

Just to give a rundown on the requirements (be sure to read the soon-to-be-published DNR hunting regulations book when it comes out for verification) are as follows:
    1) The rifle must be a legal length (sorry, no SBR, aka Short Barrel Rifles), having a barrel length of no less than 16" and an overall length (with stock attached) of no less than 26".
    2) The rifle must be used while hunting on private land only.
    3) You must have no more than ten rounds on your person while hunting, which means your magazine capacity (AR guys, I'm talking about you) is irrelevant, just as long as you see to it that you don't have more than ten in the gun or even have ten in the gun and one more in your pocket.
    4) The rifle must have a bore diameter of either .243 or .308, with no other bore diameters being legal.
    5) The minimum case length must be no less than 1.16".
    6) All currently legal handgun caliber rifles remain legal, so breathe easy, all you folks with lever guns in .44 Magnum and the like.

I only yesterday sighted in what I'll be using this fall, a tang safety Ruger M77 .30-06 with Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14x40 scope.
    I rolled my own for the ammo: Federal case, CCI 200 primer, 57 grains IMR 4831, 165 grain Barnes TTSX bullet...moving along at a measured 2780 feet per second.

Top Bottom