New options with the rifle rules for deer hunting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Had a friend from out of state hand me his 7mm Rem mag to shoot and tell me, "be careful it's got a lot of recoil!" I said, "oh, I expect it has less than my 12 gauge deer gun with slugs!" He sorta looked at me like "why the hell would you shoot slugs out of a shotgun?" "Because.... Indiana." It WAS pretty tame in comparison.

I always dreaded shooting that thing to confirm zero each year. Bugs, allergies, shoulder sore, sweating,.... Headache.

I got myself with the scope just a little one time. Where I sit, I have deer coming from any direction, so Ive shot left handed, twisted all around behind me, leaning out, etc. I didnt have the butt on my shoulder quite right and it slipped as I fired. Deer was dead, but I had a little scuff over my eye. I wear my hat to my eyebrows so that saved me.

Unfortunately the 458 isnt exactly a walk in the park to shoot, but its better.

I know every gun's felt recoil is different (weights and stock dimensions vary), but according to the charts, a 12 gauge with 3" rifled slugs has recoil that is nearly identical to that of a comparable weight .375 H&H.
    If that's true, it's probable that the .458 Winchester Magnum outdoes even 3" slugs.
    I'm certain that a .458 Lott, .460 Weatherby, or .577 Tyrannosaur would make 3" slugs look almost mild by comparison.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I know every gun's felt recoil is different (weights and stock dimensions vary), but according to the charts, a 12 gauge with 3" rifled slugs has recoil that is nearly identical to that of a comparable weight .375 H&H.
    If that's true, it's probable that the .458 Winchester Magnum outdoes even 3" slugs.
    I'm certain that a .458 Lott, .460 Weatherby, or .577 Tyrannosaur would make 3" slugs look almost mild by comparison.

Here's an online recoil calculator which should give you good comparison if you know the charge weight for the 3" slug. The .458 win mag can push a 500 grain bullet to around 2100 fps with a powder charge that is nearly certain to be a bit heavier than that of 3" slug load so the .458 would almost certainly generate more recoil. However most rifles chambered in .458 weigh around 10 lbs. without a scope which is considerably heavier than most shotguns so perceived recoil is probably less. Running the number through the calculator I came up with roughly 46 ft.-lbs of recoil for 3" 12 gauge slug, 56 ft.-lbs. for the .458 win mag, 65 ft.-lbs for a .416 Rigby, and 110 ft.-lbs. for the 460 Weatherby assuming a 10 lb. rifle. I own and shoot a .416 Rigby..... there's no way I would touch the trigger on a 10 lb. 460 Weatherby without a muzzlebrake.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers

Oh, I should have clarified... 458 SOCOM. It's more comfortable to shoot than my 12 gauge by a fair amount, I guess I would say it's right there with a 20 gauge. I can only imagine the recoil of a 458 Win Mag!

How do I put in a 300 grain Win XP3 Sabot moving at 2000 FPS?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm gonna use the Russian SKS with soft points the fill at least one doe tag. Have been wanting to for years.

Mine is a Chi-com Norinco.
    I'll use my American frankengun AR47.
    Parts made here and assembled by me.
    Still 7.62x39, but I would venture to say, probably a bit more accurate than the Norinco.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    my mistake 6 lb H&R pardner i took counter wt out of the stock maybe 1lb so maybe 5 lb gun. dont know powder wt of winchester longbeard turkey loads but 2 1/8 ounces of shot would be around 1000grains of lead with advertised speed of 1050.i forgot to mention it has a .660 jellyhead choke.offer still stands, wanna shoot it? lol

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm curious about the round restrictions and the penalty for violations? How will they check?

No intention of violating rules, but to my knowledge we have never had round count restrictions before.
    The paranoid in me thinks that entering the woods without enough rounds to fight my way back out seems like a bad plan?

Huh. I guess I've never gotten into a firefight with venison. :rofl:

Seriously, a friend of my grandparents once was hunting with a ML on his own property and had a trespasser armed with a pump gun initiate a firefight with him (and apparently decided that it wasn't such a good idea to do so with the guy who would dig in and fight using a ML).

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Just bought a Remington 783 in .243. I needed another gun for my wife or stepson to take when we all go out together. I have an old 788 set up for coyotes and didn't want to re-sight in between season so this will work. I just can't decide on a load combo for deer.

logguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    The use of a rifle in Indiana is a good excuse to buy another one even if you don't "need" it

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I was at a Wal-Mart sporting goods section and a customer was buying some slugs. He commented that he wished the new changes included his .30-06. The counter guy tried to explain that the .308 listed in the Hunting & Trapping Guide was the bullet diameter, which included his .30-06. Mr. Slug-buyer was too “smart” to believe that nonsense and insisted that the .243 & .308 was the cartridges. :dunno:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I was at a Wal-Mart sporting goods section and a customer was buying some slugs. He commented that he wished the new changes included his .30-06. The counter guy tried to explain that the .308 listed in the Hunting & Trapping Guide was the bullet diameter, which included his .30-06. Mr. Slug-buyer was too “smart” to believe that nonsense and insisted that the .243 & .308 was the cartridges. :dunno:

Just tell him to call the DNR, and they'll directly demonstrate just how wrong he is.

Top Bottom