• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What do you mean by 124gr, is that a JHP?
    Is that going to be your defensive load?
    With Glock they are pretty much reliable out of the box so there is really no break in period.
    But as a shooter to get used to the gun, make sure it works fine, and learn how to shoot it good, you should shoot as much as you can.

KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    What do you mean by 124gr, is that a JHP?
    Nope, just FMJ. Don't remember where I got it from, but it on the back of my mind that I'm supposed to break in with these, and then can go to the cheaper 115gr rounds. I haven't decided what my defensive rounds will be, will have to research into that. Still waiting for my LTCH, so it's all target practice for now.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Nope, just FMJ. Don't remember where I got it from, but it on the back of my mind that I'm supposed to break in with these, and then can go to the cheaper 115gr rounds. I haven't decided what my defensive rounds will be, will have to research into that. Still waiting for my LTCH, so it's all target practice for now.

Well if both are FMJ then it's not important, just shoot what you have.
    You should go with the cheapest stuff to shoot as much as you can, no need for a 124gr for just range practice.
    Especially if you are shooting paper.

HCRMPD1

Marksman
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Shelbyville
    As a Glock Armorer I will tell you that there is a way to "break" in this new toy. Use the following steps:

1.) Find a safe place or range to shoot at.
    2.) Go to that safe place or range.
    3.) Remove the magazine from the pistol.
    4.) Load the magazine with ammunition specifically manufactured for your weapon (cheap FMJ's for shooting paper).
    5.) Insert the magazine back into the weapon.
    6.) Point weapon in safe direction and rack the slide.
    7.) Aim - squeeze trigger.
    8.) Repeat as many times as you can afford..........

Really, just enjoy and be safe.....

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Cool! Thanks for the advice.

No problem, you can worry about bullet weight later when you will be looking for your defensive ammo and after you learn more about it.
    For now cheap 115gr FMJ is all you need to practice at the range.
    Shoot as much as you can and be safe. :yesway:

Since you said it's your first gun I dont know if you had any firearms training before or not.
    I would encourage you to learn about gun safey before you even learn about shooting fundamentals.

4rules.jpg

snowman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    Bremen, IN
    I think you have offically been bitten buy the gun bug!!!! It is a very exspensive bug to catch, you won't stop with just one.

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    A firearm is NEVER a toy. I understand the excitement with a new firearm, believe me I do, but it's that kind of thinking that gets people in trouble. I once had a 1911 that had the barrel plugged and the firing pin removed. THAT was a toy. I mean no offense, I come in peace. That being said, enjoy the gun and learn it inside and out!

KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    Thanks for all the input!

Took it to the range on the weekend and had some fun. As far as remarks from a newbie owner, here are a few:

I'm not impressed with the grip. It's ok, but the M&P that I saw at LGS felt better. The slide was very stiff initially, but I kept it locked for a few days and after firing a bit over 150 rounds it got much smoother. Not like my friend's 1911, but I think it's getting there.

As for accuracy, I'm not as good with it as I'm with Ruger 22/45. Seems I have the target in sights at all time, but I'm way off the mark. Something like 7-9 inches in the 7 o'clock direction at 15-20 yards. What am doing wrong here?

nfranke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Westport
    I know what you mean as far as aiming, ive shot long guns all my life and recently picked up a m&p .357c and sighting is way different but its just a matter of shooting more, which i dont think any of us have a problem with.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Maybe have a couple of your buddies fire a few rounds and see if they are also shooting low also. Could be the gun if that's the case and if not you'll know it's you. Also try some rounds with your off hand. Good luck and in the unlikely event you find you prefer something else I expect there will be many takers standing in line.

Top Bottom