• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    If a Smith M&P is in the future, I would highly recommend the Pro Series because the trigger is excellent and worth every penny extra. The standard M&P pistol has a trigger that rivals a Keltec P3AT...pretty brutal.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I've owned an M&P before and wasn't overly in impressed by them. I'm now thinking its between one of the older smiths like 5909 or 5903 or the Beretta 92.

bluehdflhrs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Kahr P9 and I have had a lot of carry guns and I like the Kahr the best so far.It is slim less than a in and light less than a lb and vary easy to shoot.Fits my hand better than the smaller PM9.P9s are hard to find and not cheap but they are wearth the hunt. Kahr P9 #YA8288.jpg

deltaecho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Everyone else is wrong.

CZ 75 B will replace your 1911. If you can find a full-size decocker model (CZ 75 D), I prefer those, but that's personal taste.

External hammer and all steel construction. You can't lose.

I lied, Cindy recommended a Browning Hi-Power. Those are beautiful guns too.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It's a mental thing.:)

I get some grief over mine...until they shoot it, lol.

I have shot the 9mm Springfield Range Officer. Pretty nice shooting pistol. I am old school and the 1911 pattern .45 is a "proper" pistol. Since I am already guilty of heresy by owning a .40 version, I figure I will not be too much worse if I pick up a 9mm.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I broke down and bought a full size XD. I enjoy shooting it almost as much as I enjoy shooting my 1911's. New for around $425 out the door was a deciding factor.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    7-3... Boys at USDS gave me a great deal on a Bersa BP9CC.. New single stack 9 that has a great trigger (along with being somewhat unique).. I should have a range report in the next few days but at this point it looks great and has gotten some pretty good reviews.

UPDATE..7-5... Since I don't want to threadjack I'll just post an update here
    I've been to the range twice with the Bersa and I'm impressed. I've never owned any Bersa before and this one is a great CC pistol for the money. A little bit of a pain on the takedown but functioned flawlessly and was VERY accurate. As the boys at USDS said it's probably what Glock should have made instead of the 42, but after a couple of boxes down range with the 42 it's pretty impressive in it's own right. IMHO both very manageable where recoil is concerned and more that accurate enough for their intended purpose.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Last edited:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You said you like odd ball guns. While not odd ball, the FNH are not that well known. I have an FNP and wont let go of it. I am always on the look out for an FNX, the next model up. Both are hammer fired. Next you can not beat a Walther PPQ trigger. I also am a big Walther fan and have 3 of them (P99c AS, PPS, PPQ M1). You just can't go wrong with a Walther, IMHO. Next I am waiting with great anticipation of the new H&K 9mm V9. All preliminary reports are it will be an awesome striker fired handgun.

Just food for thought, both the FNH and Walther's are out there and available. The H&K V9 may well be worth waiting for.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    If you like the 9 MM in a 1911 platform, don't overlook the Springfield "Loaded" Stainless 9 MM. It's more or less a Range Officer in Stainless Steel. The gun runs like a Rolex, and is very accurate. Don't listen to all of this, "If it's a 1911, it's got to be in .45", nonsense. I thought like that too....Until I actually shot one for an entire afternoon. I couldn't put the damn thing down. I took me a while to find one, but when I did I bought it immediately. With the price of ammo lately, you'll shoot it a lot more than the .45 models.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If a Smith M&P is in the future, I would highly recommend the Pro Series because the trigger is excellent and worth every penny extra. The standard M&P pistol has a trigger that rivals a Keltec P3AT...pretty brutal.

IMHO you are better off buying the standard 9 and use the savings to install an apex trigger.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    4487CZ_Motivator_zps092eeee4.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you like the 9 MM in a 1911 platform, don't overlook the Springfield "Loaded" Stainless 9 MM. It's more or less a Range Officer in Stainless Steel. The gun runs like a Rolex, and is very accurate. Don't listen to all of this, "If it's a 1911, it's got to be in .45", nonsense. I thought like that too....Until I actually shot one for an entire afternoon. I couldn't put the damn thing down. I took me a while to find one, but when I did I bought it immediately. With the price of ammo lately, you'll shoot it a lot more than the .45 models.

Billt I am with you on that. Like John Mellencamp says; "Forget all that Macho $#!^ and learn how to play guitar". I am not the greatest shot but if I can shoot a 9mm 1911 better than a .45 auto 1911, why wouldn't I? Isn't the purpose of shooting to shoot well? Sure, I could download my .45 but then whats the point? I will admit that almost 1/2" hole in the barrel is impressive, but a tighter group with faster follow up shots is more impressive for me since I usually don't see the muzzle of the barrel anyway.:)

My experience with most people when they shoot mine is that they like it. Some like it so much, they go out and buy one. Mark my words you will be seeing more and more of them on the range and at the games. I have striker fired pistols and you can make them pretty decent, but I haven't found anything yet that is like the 1911 trigger.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Billt I am with you on that. Like John Mellencamp says; "Forget all that Macho $#!^ and learn how to play guitar". I am not the greatest shot but if I can shoot a 9mm 1911 better than a .45 auto 1911, why wouldn't I? Isn't the purpose of shooting to shoot well? Sure, I could download my .45 but then whats the point? I will admit that almost 1/2" hole in the barrel is impressive, but a tighter group with faster follow up shots is more impressive for me since I usually don't see the muzzle of the barrel anyway.:)

My experience with most people when they shoot mine is that they like it. Some like it so much, they go out and buy one. Mark my words you will be seeing more and more of them on the range and at the games. I have striker fired pistols and you can make them pretty decent, but I haven't found anything yet that is like the 1911 trigger.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Carry what you shoot best.

B-lou

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Danville In
    I have the new sig 1911 sme 9mm, beautiful gun along with the springfield A1 9mm, S&W 1911 9mm and the STI trojan 1911 9mm, all great guns but a little out of your price range...900.00 to 1050.00...STI makes a 1911 spartan 9mm that I think is within your range msrp 750.00....STI 1911's are reworked RIA's....B-lou

Last edited:
    Top Bottom