• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    M&P Shield for carry, (slim, light and easy to carry with a spare mag) and M&P FS 40 with with a light for the home. I'm a big believer that your home defense guns should have a light, don't want to shoot the cat or anything else that doesn't need to be shot in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Not carrying yet, but it will be an XDs 9MM (95% sure). My current house pistol/nightstand gun is a XDm .40 4.5" with Trijicon NS. I'd like to add a light to it as well. Once I get my XDs and begin carrying, I'll probably put it in the dresser at the end of the day and depend on the XDm in the middle of the night. Even if I had to grab the XDs in an emergency the two will be similar enough that grabbing either one will result in a comfortable grab/use. One of the main reasons I'm leaning so heavily on the XDs is to limit the reason for learning a whole, complete different gun. Plus, I'm a lefty, so the ambidextrous mag release and no thumb safety are two big pluses.

I also keep an 870 in the downstairs closet and an 870 tactical in the upstairs closet. It's nice not having kids or pets in the house. My wife knows where they are and how to use them if I'm not around. She used to be kind of critical on my placements and desire for guns in the house. She now embraces is and loves to throw 30-50 rounds through my XDm whenever we visit my parents who live out in the country.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    For nightstand duty, I like a full size 1911 with a rail mounted light. For EDC, I generally opt for a compact or commander sized 1911. The main reason I don't carry my nightstand gun is that it has a tendency to chew up furniture with the long barrel and grip. A mid-size 1911 carry's so much nicer. Sometimes I'll swap my nightstand 1911 for a Glock 20sf but will generally go with a .45 for home defense because I believe a .45 round has less of a chance at over penetration and more of a chance to stay in the house in case of a missed shot when compared to a 10mm round.

No matter what is on the nightstand, it will have a light mounted.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have a couple handguns in the nightstand, but my first choice as "nightstand gun" is my 20 gauge semi-auto with #3 buckshot, and #2 when I can find it.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    My sub compact carry usually goes in the closet. I have a full size Beretta 40S&W with Trijicon sights for the bedside. I prefer a full size for home because of higher capacity and accuracy. It is too big for carry.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    My EDC (OC and CC), nightstand, etc is the same for me. My pistol stays the same regardless. A full size 1911 Government model in .45acp.

In the beginning when I first bought my first 1911 (1980) I couldnt afford another pistol. I have carried, shot, competed, plinked, and defended myself with my full size 1911 (although not the same one I had in 1980)... it is such a close natural part of me every day that I cannot fathom having different pistols for different circumstances or different locations.

Top Bottom