• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Did anybody read the article or do some have a lack of reading comprehension? She stated that she was definitely not pregnant (probably not getting any).

They allowed her to dance on the dance floor, just not up on top of the bar (where some of her friends were). At no time was she not allowed to dance, she was just not allowed on the bar.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Did anybody read the article or do some have a lack of reading comprehension? She stated that she was definitely not pregnant (probably not getting any).

They allowed her to dance on the dance floor, just not up on top of the bar (where some of her friends were). At no time was she not allowed to dance, she was just not allowed on the bar.

Yes, I read it.

Something some people need to keep in mind though... A bar is private property. The owner has the right to make rules to be enforced. If a patron does not like the rules, they can leave.

For you to say that she has the right to dance on that bar would be the same as me having the RIGHT to come shoot on any one of your private gun ranges. Right?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I believe the bar people were being as*es and her rights have been violated. I just think it is wrong for the bar to pick & chose who gets to dance there based on their appearance.

Uhm... Which "right" are you referring to?

Just because you think it's wrong doesn't make it so. When you open a nightclub, you can let whoever you want dance on whatever they want. Nightclubs want guys to go there to scope out the babes and buy alcohol. If the girls are not attractive, the club gets a reputation and owners lose money. Just how it is.

I think it's discrimination that there is a ladies night but not a mens night. Of course it's discrimination when you chose something, but it's neither illegal nor a violation of rights.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    And she would sue if she wasn't hired to work at the tilted kilt too??

Be happy with who you are.
    If you're not happy with who you are, change it.

Don't feel entitled because your mama told you that you were nice looking though.

Seriously... she went to a meat market. A superficial place where men try to get laid and women hope to be validated as attractive. [Yes, a sweeping generalization but more often than not accurate.] A place where men (and women) are sometimes paid to allow people into a near-capacity club and reject some folks for not passing the face-test.

Insulted? If she chooses to be. Rights violated? Puh-leeze.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Sounds like discrimination. However I have no clue if there is a specific clause for heavy people. I'm not heavy so I never researched it or needed to. Regardless if it's illegal or not, the bar employee's actions are appalling. It's rude and it's wrong in my nice person book.

The bar's assumption that she is fat so she is therefore pregnant isn't much different from places telling us we can't come inside because we have guns & are probably criminals.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Seriously guys, this girl is not overly fat or even close to being ugly. She really doesn't look much different from the girls standing behind her.

The girl wasn't wanting to dance on a pole for money. She was out partying with her friends and wanted to dance on the platform with them. According to the article they wouldn't let her dance on the platform area due to her size. They insinuated she was pregnant as a "nice" way of saying she is fat.

I believe the bar people were being as*es and her rights have been violated. I just think it is wrong for the bar to pick & chose who gets to dance there based on their appearance.

‘Plus-Sized’ College Student Claims Discrimination at Bar - ABC News

Um, it's a privately owned bar. . .what RIGHTS does she have again?

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Sounds like discrimination. However I have no clue if there is a specific clause for heavy people. I'm not heavy so I never researched it or needed to. Regardless if it's illegal or not, the bar employee's actions are appalling. It's rude and it's wrong in my nice person book.

The bar's assumption that she is fat so she is therefore pregnant isn't much different from places telling us we can't come inside because we have guns & are probably criminals.

DING DING DING! Businesses can regulate their customer flow as they wish. If a gas station didnt want to sell gas to people with purple hair, thats their right. Businesses are allowed to make their own rules, given they do not break any LAWS. No matter how insane or "hurtful" these rules may be.....

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    It sounds like they did not handle the situation with kid gloves, and the bouncer may have been mean about it - but I fail to see how her rights were violated at any point.

I am willing to bet that being a male, I would not be permitted to dance on the bar either.

This business practice reflects societal beliefs - and only came about because being know for having attractive dancing women leads to profits.

We could blame the bar and the bouncer all day long - but they did not cause this issue.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012

Obesity or otherwise being overweight is not a protected class.

Furthermore, the business establishment can state that such are matters of business necessity, or that of a Bona Fide Occupational Qualifier....as a matter of an affirmative defense.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Now, bear in mind... I'm the campfire, room temp beer type. BUT there are many clubs that deny access - or limit it - and only allow folks to pass who fit their expectation. It's all about creating a culture in that bar. This continues today.

Hooters. Tilted Kilt. Granted, some of the women there are not my type but there are hardly any tipping the scales at 200+ lbs. Heck, topless/nudie bars. These places openly hire only attractive people.

This hipster bar - The Union of Westport - is trying to attract dudes by already attracting hot chicks. By their terms, she isn't one. They didn't bar her access but the little platform they have for invitation-only women to go up and show off... well, she wasn't invited.

Listen... I've worked with some absolutely knockout women. (TV News.) If a woman's personality is crap, no amount of physical attraction makes you want to be around them... well, not for very long. I've known many, many women who do not fit that physical ideal but are stunning in their own way.

If they were barring this girl employment as a pharmaceutical sales rep solely because she's ~200 lbs., then that is discrimination. If she were qualified otherwise, then I'd give her a chance and if she couldn't pull the numbers, adios.

She's not though. She walks into a hip hop bar where they set up a restricted access platform so drunk twenty-something chicks can climb up and be objectified. She was restricted access.

"I'm discriminated against because the construction workers only whistle at my mini-skirt wearing, hot office coworker but not me in my size 14 flannel skirt. It's not fair!"

Well, maybe not. If you want to change... if you see something positive in wanting to be the free meat market exotic dancer wannabe, then lose 60-80 lbs.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ......If they were barring this girl employment as a pharmaceutical sales rep solely because she's ~200 lbs., then that is discrimination.......

Discrimination may be unethical, but most discrimination isn't illegal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom