• ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Let's see...

1. I have bought a few things from the classifieds and all have worked out really well, sometimes under circumstances (i.e., unlike the time the seller shipped me some magazines) which allowed for a good visit on the bargain. I don't have a complaint to offer from my experience.

2. Where the frustrations start, I would say that the seller is well within his prerogative to insist on nonsensical terms, like a LTCH to buy a rifle, or a chair for that matter. At this point, I would say vote with your feet if you don't like it.

3. Most of us would like more things than we could afford. When the seller of the first pick just plain doesn't respond, that interferes with the option to buy the next thing on the list. As structured as the rules regarding the INGO classifieds are, it seems perfectly reasonable to me to add a requirement that the seller respond in some fashion to inquiries, even if he tells someone to go **** up a rope. It would be easier to implement than the requirement for a photo to be included. I can understand that some people may not be up on the PM system, but that is a whole lot easier than learning how to transfer photos to your computer, post them to a separate hosting site, and then link them to your classified.

4. While we are on the subject of classifieds, why not adjust the post count rule to include ongoing participation? One wonders how much those people who hit 50 posts in 2010 and haven't posted anything that didn't start with WTS- ever since intend to be part of a community. This type of behavior completely defeats the purpose of the post count requirement. After all, I am not going to have any feel for someone who quit posting non-classifieds two or three years before I joined.

All things considered, I am with the OP on this one. If you are going to take advantage of posting your merchandise AT NO CHARGE in front of such a large focused audience, the least you can do is have the courtesy to respond to inquiries. If it has to come down to it, I prefer the standard of having to tell lowballers to go away at least once and ignoring them thereafter to just not responding. I believe that this standard would be much more consistent with the general standards by which INGO operates, and people are reminded that it is not a democracy, than allowing certain people to run amok, especially those who do not otherwise participate, especially when their failure to respond can interfere with another member's own plans.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't know... I don't really understand the complaint here. If you don't get a response, then move on. I give people a day or two to respond and just assume that they don't want to sell it. Not everything in the world is fair. If you miss out on another deal b/c you were waiting on a response to your first one, sorry that is part of the risk.

And if they do not respond on the offer, how do you think they will really respond/carry though on the deal itself? Probably not very well.

Let's see...

... Most of us would like more things than we could afford. When the seller of the first pick just plain doesn't respond, that interferes with the option to buy the next thing on the list. As structured as the rules regarding the INGO classifieds are, it seems perfectly reasonable to me to add a requirement that the seller respond in some fashion to inquiries, even if he tells someone to go **** up a rope. It would be easier to implement than the requirement for a photo to be included. I can understand that some people may not be up on the PM system, but that is a whole lot easier than learning how to transfer photos to your computer, post them to a separate hosting site, and then link them to your classified.

4. While we are on the subject of classifieds, why not adjust the post count rule to include ongoing participation? One wonders how much those people who hit 50 posts in 2010 and haven't posted anything that didn't start with WTS- ever since intend to be part of a community. This type of behavior completely defeats the purpose of the post count requirement. After all, I am not going to have any feel for someone who quit posting non-classifieds two or three years before I joined....

The photo requirement is not really that difficult to deal with, and it is easily monitored by members and mods. I would like folks to respond, but it would be more difficult to enforce. The next thing you know you get people trying to determine who responded to an ad first, etc.

Regarding your other point, seeing that someone does not participate after 50 tells you more in some cases than having to pick through their posts and see how they conduct themselves. If I see someone with only 50 and a bunch of WTS ads, even if their join date is years in the past, it tells me a lot. It tells me what their primary use of the site is. That combined with feedback score can give you a good picture of the person. It tells you they are primarily here to do business. That may or may not be a bad thing, bit I can certainly judge whether I am interested in doing any business with them.

I'll also say that I have been known to be more flexible on a trade/sale with someone on INGO who participates at a high level, than I would be with someone who doesn't.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    And if they do not respond on the offer, how do you think they will really respond/carry though on the deal itself? Probably not very well.

The photo requirement is not really that difficult to deal with, and it is easily monitored by members and mods. I would like folks to respond, but it would be more difficult to enforce. The next thing you know you get people trying to determine who responded to an ad first, etc.

Regarding your other point, seeing that someone does not participate after 50 tells you more in some cases than having to pick through their posts and see how they conduct themselves. If I see someone with only 50 and a bunch of WTS ads, even if their join date is years in the past, it tells me a lot. It tells me what their primary use of the site is. That combined with feedback score can give you a good picture of the person. It tells you they are primarily here to do business. That may or may not be a bad thing, bit I can certainly judge whether I am interested in doing any business with them.

I'll also say that I have been known to be more flexible on a trade/sale with someone on INGO who participates at a high level, than I would be with someone who doesn't.

All good points. The best thing that could be realistically hoped is to discourage people who post for sale in 5 different places and then abandon the orphan ads while people sit around waiting for a response upon which other decisions may be contingent. As for the photos, the PM system is pretty easy (which got raised up thread), the photos, in my reckoning, not so much, and they are required.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I don't know if the forum software would support it, but I have seen it on other sites. A limit on how many open ads someone has. That would cut down on the orphaned ads immediately. People would have to maintain and close their ads before new ones would be permitted. If 5 or 10 open ads are allowed then those will fill up very quickly if they aren't maintained and closed properly.

As far as the other thing goes, I'd love to see a classified squatters thread. Something similar to the 50 posts thread where squatters and non-participants are listed. I know this would bring about mixed feelings. Some would love to see it, others would hate it, most would probably not care one way of the other. I've thought about that many times but I have a good idea how it would end and I value being on the site enough to know better. The level of butthurt would be too great for some.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Someone must have been reading this thread. Just closed a bunch of ads from 2013-14. :):

No....they were warned to do this. I have been looking back when I check into reports and finding a lot of open ads.
    The classifieds are a free perk for active members.
    Do the house keeping. Take care of the site.
    It is a simple matter to close the ad after marking it sold.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Forget the "last activity". It can be deceiving.

I have come close to issuing neg rep based on that. But I have a strict rule that I dont consider the person to be ignoring me until after they have posted elsewhere first. This happened recently. I was waiting for a reply. Nothing. A week later I looked and I saw activity listed, but he hadnt actually posted anything since before I PMed him.

Turns out he was on vacation. It was all good.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Yes, stuff happens. I don't think anyone faked their death to back out of an INGO transaction. But I have found an amazing number of Ebay buyers whose grandmothers die within a few days of them agreeing to send payment. The statistical correlation is mind-boggling.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yes, stuff happens. I don't think anyone faked their death to back out of an INGO transaction. But I have found an amazing number of Ebay buyers whose grandmothers die within a few days of them agreeing to send payment. The statistical correlation is mind-boggling.

Interesting. We start with an actual incident, backed up with some BBI sense of humor, and now an explanation of why I get such surprisingly over the top feedback on Ebay for prompt payment.

Top Bottom