• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    If I were a terrorist and wanted to strike fear into the mid section of the country, what better target than a group of Americans, say 500,000 or so, all gathered in a 1 mile radius of each other watching a major sporting event in one of the the major cities in the region on a Sunday afternoon?

Not making any claims and praying I'm wrong, but it might be a good time to check your preps. I did. Let's be safe and ready out there.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    If I were a terrorist and wanted to strike fear into the mid section of the country, what better target than a group of Americans, say 500,000 or so, all gathered in a 1 mile radius of each other watching a major sporting event in one of the the major cities in the region on a Sunday afternoon?

Not making any claims and praying I'm wrong, but it might be a good time to check your preps. I did. Let's be safe and ready out there.

I have thought this same thing with the Super Bowl, Daytona 500, and other major sporting events. It is one thing that makes me think twice about the Super Bowl being in Indy next year. Unfortunately, it is thoughts like this that the terrorists want us all to have and want people to live in fear. However, it is also thoughts like this that will keep some people thinking ahead and preparing for a situation that most of us hope never happens. Why not double check your short term preps at least and for everyone in the Indy area you should do that every month or so anyway.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I have thought this same thing with the Super Bowl, Daytona 500, and other major sporting events. It is one thing that makes me think twice about the Super Bowl being in Indy next year. Unfortunately, it is thoughts like this that the terrorists want us all to have and want people to live in fear. However, it is also thoughts like this that will keep some people thinking ahead and preparing for a situation that most of us hope never happens. Why not double check your short term preps at least and for everyone in the Indy area you should do that every month or so anyway.

Well, thats assuming we have a season in the first place :xmad:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    See the problem is that "we" think the intent is to Kill People. The intent is to get the People to feel Terror and cause the Government to spend large amounts of funds that they do not have and to enact legislation that restricts what the People are allowed to do...

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Heck, I was at the Andretti race party last night, and that could be a prime target for mayhem. I think all of the Andretti team drivers were there, as well as the CEO's of some very large sponsors.

"Security" consisted of several apparently unarmed dudes with t-shirts that said (company name withheld) security on them. Didn't give me any warm and fuzzy feeling that I was safe. In fact I was getting downright uneasy by the end of our time there.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    See the problem is that "we" think the intent is to Kill People. The intent is to get the People to feel Terror and cause the Government to spend large amounts of funds that they do not have and to enact legislation that restricts what the People are allowed to do...

Yep. Excellent observation.

Almost the same thing the Reagan administration did to the ruskies.
    We forced them to spend much more than they had to keep up with in the nuke race.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Anything is possible, but IMS takes security very seriously and coordinates with local and Federal authorities. They aren't counting on the run of the mill yellow shirt to keep you safe, for sure.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Having been on the periphery of the Indy 500 race preps from the Public Safety standpoint, I can tell you that there has been close coordination among local, state and federal authorities for a long time, for various reasons. While that doesn't mean that they are totally prepared for disaster, they certainly have talked through all the various issues over the years.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The other bright side to look at is that in a crowd of 500,000 in the middle of Indiana is that there will be a large number of drunk rednecks running around:D There won't be a fundamentalist type in full garb going anywhere near the track without being noticed.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i never rely on the govt for protection. i have no desire to attend mass events for this very reason. you know, if the govt would stop pissing people off around the whole world by trying to stick their noses in everyones business then people would probly stop coming here and trying to kill us. call me crazy but thats what I think. besides, in my opinion our own govt is more of a threat to us than anyone else. wanna see a terrorist? look no further than DHS.

i just wanna live in the middle of a forest and never talk to anyone again outside of my family and friend circle.

orange

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Gary! Not cool.
    Well... a sporting event isn't as tempting a target as a symbol of horrible capitalist oppression known the world over, like Wall Street or the Pentagon or the World Trade Center...

That's the only thing I can think of, terrorist groups striking at symbols rather than really trying to disrupt American society. That wouldn't be very difficult at all and sometimes I wonder why it hasn't happened.. anybody remember the Beltway sniper? Something like that, repeated several times in several cities across the nation, would screw things up terribly.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Well... a sporting event isn't as tempting a target as a symbol of horrible capitalist oppression known the world over, like Wall Street or the Pentagon or the World Trade Center...

That's the only thing I can think of, terrorist groups striking at symbols rather than really trying to disrupt American society. That wouldn't be very difficult at all and sometimes I wonder why it hasn't happened.. anybody remember the Beltway sniper? Something like that, repeated several times in several cities across the nation, would screw things up terribly.

Refer to post #4 & #6 above... ;)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

Nah, "they" wouldn't want to do that. The net result of killing 500,000 race fans would be a statistically significant increase in the USA IQ. Doesn't seem to serve their purpose. This would be more applicable if referring to a NASCAR race but the same principal applies. :D

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Nah, "they" wouldn't want to do that. The net result of killing 500,000 race fans would be a statistically significant increase in the USA IQ. Doesn't seem to serve their purpose. This would be more applicable if referring to a NASCAR race but the same principal applies. :D

Hey...

I think you are trying to insult me there... ;)

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    What I don't get is why the terrorists never hit California...LA or San Fran, especially. Seems those two locales would be prime examples of the "western degeneracy" they object to, more than something in the Midwest or South. :twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    What I don't get is why the terrorists never hit California...LA or San Fran, especially. Seems those two locales would be prime examples of the "western degeneracy" they object to, more than something in the Midwest or South. :twocents:

It is less about destroying America, and more about destroying Symbols. Hence the reason Targets like the Trade Centers and the Pentagon...

One cannot destroy America, however, one can destroy the Symbols of those that I name in opposition to me...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    They don't have to do anything else to us, we are doing enough to ourselves to make them happy. A guy puts a bomb-like thing in his shoes, so we have to go through the detector with our shoes off. Then a guy puts an explosive like "thing" in his shorts, so now we have to either be groped or photographed nude to get on an airplane.

Bin Laden is laughing his dead butt off from the bottom of a very hot body of water!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    It is less about destroying America, and more about destroying Symbols. Hence the reason Targets like the Trade Centers and the Pentagon...

One cannot destroy America, however, one can destroy the Symbols of those that I name in opposition to me...
    You are right. One cannot destroy America, but this country becoming truly democratic will continue to let the masses on the government hand outs do what one cannot.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Ah, yet another national event and yet another completely harmless activity. You guys need to get your BOB's together and then just CHILL OUT ALREADY!
    :D:D

Top Bottom